Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I think it's time for new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think it's time for new tires!

I had a little problem with hydroplaning a few days ago on my GY RT/S tires. Then the wife had a little traction problem when stopping on a wet road when traffic backed up. Both incidents on I95 this week.

The tires have ~37k on them and still have ~8/32 of tread left. No problems until this week. That seems like a lot of tread left but they must be starting to trap water. I think new the depth was something like 13/32 an I am a long way from the wear bars.

Has anyone looked at the GY Fortera HL? $700 out the door for 4 tires with a load force balance...
Old 07-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't want the Fortera.

I had the RT/S and just replaced them with these:

The RT/S was a nice looking pretty quiet tire, but was horrible in the rain. THey would break loose all the time and hydroplain bigtime. I didn't know how bad there were until I replaced them with the above Bridgetone "HL" tire. They are one of the only few SUV tires that offer a 60k treadwear warranty right now, and are rated the best for rain traction, etc. They also has the "Uni T" in them. It lets different rubber compounds expose as the tire wears down and won't loose grip as it gets older. Tire-rack has them for $106 each right now - They normally sell for $140 a piece in the stores!

I go into much more detail on these tires here with more PICS:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=Bridgestone

These tires will last twice as long as the stock tires, won't slip in the rain, and will cost you about the same $.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:51 PM
Banned

If you don't offroad much, get a more narrow tire. This Hydroplaning, aka floatation, has as much to do with tread depth as it does weight per tire-to-pavement contact area. In rain at speed you tires are like boat hulls, a flat bottom hull (wide) will skip across the water while a deep v (narrow) will cut through the water and turn much better. A narrow tire cuts through the water and touches the pavement much easier.

As far as a specific recommendation, I can't really help, it hasn't rained here in years it seems. Send some my way if you can.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:23 PM

Thanks Matt....

Jason, how is road noise with the Bridgestone's when compared to the GY's?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

They are pretty darn quiet. I ran the RT/S's into the ground and they were like slicks when I got rid of them.

I love the tires. They outcorner the stocks on dry pavement, wet, and don't get squirrelly like the RT/S. As I said before, I never knew who bad the RT'S were until I got rid of them. It sure is a treat. They also come in white letters if you want to use them. I turned mine inside out so just the black shows.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:33 AM

Ron,

I have had RT/S's, Dunlop Grandtrek, Michellin LTX A/T and now Duller A/T's.

The Duelers are for me, the best compromise. both the RT/S and the Grandtrek wore very poorly and were average at best in snow.

The LTX's wore well, were reasonably quiet and pretty dang good in snow. The Duellers are wearing well, good in the rain and excellent in the snow...the noise is on a par with the LTX's but almost un-noticeable with the radio on.

I have 265/70/16's and it cost me around $450/4 installed.

David
Old 07-16-2002, 05:20 AM

We have Deuler H/T's on our '98 Runner Ltd. and On my '86 Runner I have Deuler M/T's. Both, so far, have been great tires. The H/t's are really quiet.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by nrgetic99
Ron,

I have had RT/S's, Dunlop Grandtrek, Michellin LTX A/T and now Duller A/T's.

The Duelers are for me, the best compromise. both the RT/S and the Grandtrek wore very poorly and were average at best in snow.

The LTX's wore well, were reasonably quiet and pretty dang good in snow. The Duellers are wearing well, good in the rain and excellent in the snow...the noise is on a par with the LTX's but almost un-noticeable with the radio on.

I have 265/70/16's and it cost me around $450/4 installed.

David
David,
Why did you go from Michelin LTX A/T to Duller A/T's? Are all these tires on your '99? :eek: That is a lot of rubber in a short amount of time.

I have the stock Dunlops and they are driving me crazy. Just had my 6th alignment in 2-3 months Think I finally got it tracking straight and the steering wheel back centered (mostly). But still a vibration at certain speeds.

I was planning on going to the LTX A/Ts as I ran those on my old truck and loved them. Would like to hear your rational.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 12:06 PM

Sorry Hermes,

Needed to 'splain myslef a little better.

'96 SR5 4WD

Factory Grandtreks lasted 20k including rotation every 6 k. No treadware warranty as the TG35 is a special tire formulated for a quite test drive ! (according to Dunlop)

Replaced with LTX A/T's at 20k. Sold truck at 65K . at least 50% tread life left !

'99 pimpin Jade beauty

Factory RT/S's lasted 32k.

Dueller A/T's installed at 30k. now at 50k, wearing well and evenly.

David
Old 07-16-2002, 09:07 PM
DuB

I have the HLs as well. I haven't had a problem with them yet. They're really quiet too. quieter than the HTs and a LOT quieter than the ATs my roommate has on his 4Runner.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:39 PM

Just a follow-up. GoodYear has agreed to give me a good-will tread wear adjustment on my RT/S tires even tho they were OEM. So that means I get to try out the Forteras.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:29 PM

Sounds good Ron. Let us know how they handle the wet road (one of my main concerns)...how much discount/credit they givin' ya?
butnut
Old 07-24-2002, 04:07 PM

Dealers price for new RT/S times percent of tread left subtracted from the cost of the new Fortera's. I have at least 50% of tread left and the RT/S is ~$140 each so ~$70 each. My measurement with a ruler. Dealer has final say with micrometer. The dealer returns the tires to GY for reimbursment so they wont be resold as used tires.

This is if everything goes as promised....
Old 07-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

I would go for the 275/70's with the Fortera. If you dont, the tire is going to look much skinner than the stock RTS. The fortera has a rounded sidewall instead of square.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:36 AM

Thanks Jason, but I decided to stay with the orig size.

I just got home from the dealer. The 4 new Forteras will be in Monday. He had a set in stock a few days ago but sold them. Orig quote was $701; with GoodYears assistance, I get them for $378 out the door with a road force balance.

After looking at the tread design and the siping for water escape I think these tires will be good hi-way tires. I also feel that I was treated well by GoodYear and the dealer.