Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need a used 2nd gen rear bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a used 2nd gen rear bumper!

Anyone who has had a custom bumper made for their 2nd gen like to sell their original chrome bumper? I need the drivers side mounting bracket too. My bumper got whacked, bent the mounting bracket and there are rust holes in the bumper so it won't pass PA inspection. Inspection was due in July so now I'm driving around paranoid. l'm still searcing for someone local to fab me up a custom rear bumper but in the mean time I need a cheap replacement bumper so I can pass inspection. I'll pay shipping so you guys out west in the no rust zones let me hear from you too.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

I need a used front bumper if anybody has one...a front valence would be nice too.

Sorry, can't help ya with a rear bumper.

Fink
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 AM

Sorry don't have a spare rear bumper, but its does sound like a great time to build a custom one.

Also, for what its worth, the front bumper on my old Nissan truck got smashed once from someone backing into me. A guy at an auto body repair shop found me a new front bumper (unpainted) for a fraction of what the dealer wanted. Just spraypainted it semi-gloss black, bolted it on, and I was good to go. So, you might want to check out prices at your local body repair shops for the non-Toyota brand replacment parts.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

I asked my local shop and they estimated ~400 for parts and labor for aftermarket stuff...all OEM was ~600 so...for that kinda cash to get OEM parts I will get an ARB and be done with it!

Fink
Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About 2 months ago my front stocker went to the dump. Sorry about that. It had been sitting around for a good long time.

Try a salvage yard, lots of stuff there. Should be able to snag a front or rear of about 5 years of trucks or runners.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:29 PM

This may be a reason for me and my buddy to build up a rear & front bumper. How much are you guys willing to spend on these bumpers? I am not saying I will sell mine off but want to test the waters here to see what your looking at spending. Mine are both chrome. The front is in perfect shape. The rear has a dent on the driver side bumper panel but looks ok. I have wanted to build custom tube bumpers for my rig but have not had the drive. Maybe if I can get a decent price and sell them I will get in gear. Lets hear what you got and what you want. Blue in Wa. State
Old 10-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I need a used front bumper if anybody has one...a front valence would be nice too.

Sorry, can't help ya with a rear bumper.

Fink
I have the stock front bumper and valence that I took off my 93 4x4 ext-cab. I don't know if it will fit the 95 4-runner, but it is in great condition.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4x4Fink, I can post some pics for you if you think it may work for you. I'm in OKC, do you ever get to Oklahoma? I have a cousin in Fayetteville. We may take a trip to Eureka Springs sometime after football season. Razorbacks are doing good this year! Way to go beating Texas.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-18-2003 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM

I asked my local shop and they estimated ~400 for parts and labor
Did you ask how much of that was parts and how much was labor? Just curious b/c fixing a front bumper was one of my first shadetree mechanic undertakings, and it really isn't too bad. Just spray paint the new bumper, let it dry, unbolt the old bumper and turn lights, bolt on the new bumper and re attach the turn lights. Of course, the paint job won't be as nice as if done by a professional. However, the bumper I did turned out looking quite nice (IMO), and I liked the look of the semi-gloss black better than the stock chrome. Further, the new bumper was only like $75 already primed. Not sure if that's what a non-Toyota aftermarket bumper will run or if its even something you would want to bother with. Again, just something to consider.

Last edited by szf2; 10-17-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
see if this will work for you.bumper
Old 10-17-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by szf2
Did you ask how much of that was parts and how much was labor? Just curious b/c fixing a front bumper was one of my first shadetree mechanic undertakings, and it really isn't too bad. Just spray paint the new bumper, let it dry, unbolt the old bumper and turn lights, bolt on the new bumper and re attach the turn lights. Of course, the paint job won't be as nice as if done by a professional. However, the bumper I did turned out looking quite nice (IMO), and I liked the look of the semi-gloss black better than the stock chrome. Further, the new bumper was only like $75 already primed. Not sure if that's what a non-Toyota aftermarket bumper will run or if its even something you would want to bother with. Again, just something to consider.
Shadytree
Old 10-17-2003, 07:35 PM

Just priced out some rear bumper parts at my local auto parts store for my 91 runner. The chrome rear bumper is actually 3 peices. A center peice and the end caps. I think it was $88 for the center peice and $34 for each of the end caps. It's an aftermarket part, but should work fine.

I just bought an aftermarket front valance for $39.00. Probably not as perfect as a stealership part, (had some light scratches and rough,sharp edges) but if your not inspecting it with a microscope you can't tell.

If you'd like business names and numbers, just send me a PM.

Last edited by Wootersen; 10-17-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
Shadytree

Easy with the barf icons amigo, especially when you are obviously completely clueless on the details. I would reccomend reading the rest of the post next time. But, since you missed it, the work I did was not for someone else's vehicle, it was for my old Nissan truck. I was a poor college kid who had to scrape quarters out of my change jar just to buy a beer or two on the weekends, so a new bumper wasn't really in my budget. Plus, the person who backed into me then sped off just so happened to live on a Reservation and apparently didn't have to pay for any damage (separate nation or something like that). So a cheap aftermarket bumper and some spraypaint was about all I could manage. Nonetheless, I was quite happy when I got the bumper on and it looked as good as stock plus I had done all the work myself. Figured the info. might be useful for someone else who didn't want to spend and arm and a leg, especially for a temp bumper.

Last edited by szf2; 10-18-2003 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:15 PM

I got a valence

I didnt like how it looked under my new smittybuilt bumper and it's brand new cuz i got in a car accident and they replaced it. Anyone who wants it, just reply or e-mail me. I live in oregon.
-joe
p.s. oh yeahi got a bedliner too if anyone is interested.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:41 PM

Easy with the barf icons amigo, especially when you are obviously completely clueless on the details. I would reccomend reading the rest of the post next time. But, since you missed it, the work I did was not for someone else's vehicle, it was for my old Nissan truck. I was a poor college kid who had to scrape quarters out of my change jar just to buy a beer or two on the weekends, so a new bumper wasn't really in my budget. Plus, the person who backed into me then sped off just so happened to live on a Reservation and apparently didn't have to pay for any damage (separate nation or something like that). So a cheap aftermarket bumper and some spraypaint was about all I could manage. Nonetheless, I was quite happy when I got the bumper on and it looked as good as stock plus I had done all the work myself. Figured the info. might be useful for someone else who didn't want to spend and arm and a leg, especially for a temp bumper.
Nissan & ShadyTree

And for the "Separate Nation" because someone that hit you lives on the Rez. Whats your deal, do you hate us Indians? I wasnt barfing on your backyard quick fix bondo repair job you just learned how to do from the ShadyTree Mechanic. I was barfing on the show in general so before you go off next time half cocked with lack of details to back up your attitude figure out what your saying please. Thankyou and have a grrrrrrreat day.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:32 PM
apc

I changed my front bumper/valence to after-market, an let me tell you, they fit terribly. The new bumper and valence did not even fit together even though they were from the same Taiwanese manufacturer!

The metal is obviously of a lower quality as well as the chrome plating. The original Toyota bumper and valence was significantly heavier than the after-market.

If you got the cash, or can find it in a salvage yard, stick with the Toyota originals.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:28 AM

Hey Wootersen, what shop is that? $34.00 ea. for the endcaps is an awesome price. I could use a pair.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:58 PM

I'd better make sure before I shoot my mouth off, but I'm pretty sure sure they were $30-40 a peice at my local auto parts store. I'll give you the name of the place here in Portland if you want . My suggestion is stop in at your local auto parts store and ask them. I'm pretty sure the guy who gave me the price was hooking me up because I know him, but actual retail shouldn't be too far off of that. good luck.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
Nissan & ShadyTree

And for the "Separate Nation" because someone that hit you lives on the Rez. Whats your deal, do you hate us Indians? I wasnt barfing on your backyard quick fix bondo repair job you just learned how to do from the ShadyTree Mechanic. I was barfing on the show in general so before you go off next time half cocked with lack of details to back up your attitude figure out what your saying please. Thankyou and have a grrrrrrreat day.
Still have no freakin clue what you are talking about. I was telling someone replacing a bumper themselves isn't too difficult. You think there's something wrong with that? And shadytree with barf icons? What in the sam he!! is that supposed to mean? You don't like do it yourself work? Obviously your rig is built up so I'm guessing you work on vehicles yourself, so WTF is your problem? I'm totally lost here and unfortunately your pointless first post which contributed absolutely nothing to this thread riled me up enough to respond and now all we've done is spam up this thread.

Lastly, I am the complete antithesis of racist. However, (quick rant) it is complete BS that a person can damage another persons vehicle and then drive off to some piece of land and claim immunity from any repercussions. But whatever, barf on if you must.

Last edited by szf2; 10-20-2003 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:40 PM

Still have no freakin clue what you are talking about. ***This does not surprise me*** I was telling someone replacing a bumper themselves isn't too difficult. You think there's something wrong with that? ***No sir***And shadytree with barf icons? ***Yes sir***What in the sam he!! is that supposed to mean? ***My 1st guess would be that I dislike shadytree, but thats just my 1st guess***You don't like do it yourself work?***Huh*** Obviously your rig is built up so I'm guessing you work on vehicles yourself,***Yes sir*** so WTF is your problem?***Shadytree & Nissan sir*** I'm totally lost here and unfortunately your pointless first post which contributed absolutely nothing to this thread riled me up enough to respond and now all we've done is spam up this thread.***I think it had a point sir, spam in my opinion is your "WTF","BS",& using the word "freakin" comments. FYI its "frikkin" not "freakin" IMO & I have not yet cursed at you so why do so at me?***

Lastly, I am the complete antithesis of racist.***Dont use words I do not understand please*** However, (quick rant)***Oh goody *** it is complete BS that a person can damage another persons vehicle and then drive off to some piece of land and claim immunity from any repercussions.***Are you scared to step foot on the rez? Contact your local lol "American Law" & report this & they will contact the Tribal Police.*** But whatever, barf on if you must.
*** Thanks for your permission***BLUE