Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I blew up My motor!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually it was a very simple job for me, not once did I ever open any form of shop manual or need to look up any torque specifications. I've done enough engine swaps that I know by heart what to torque specific bolts to. Most bolts I never need to use my torque wrench, with over 25 years of wrenching I've got the feel for proper tightness down.

Vato Loco, if you read back you'll see the timeline on the whole thing..... 2 days...

If I really wanted to I could have finished the job in 1 day, but that means breaking out my air tools. I just wanted to take my time and check everything out while things were apart.

The engine started right up and runs great, no abnormal noises. There was a lot of water blowing out the tail pipe and my check engine light came on. I'll hook up my laptop to it tomorrow and see what code popped up. Probably the oxygen sensors are plugged up from the muddy water.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:39 PM

I am truly impressed!

This man has skill....
Old 01-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mastacox
As morbid as it sounds, this may be a good time to get some nice aftermarket accessories for the engine, if you shop around they can be the same price as Toyota OEM.

Breakage is, after all, the mother of many upgrades.

I was actually thinking of installing a 3.0 diesel from the Hilux, but this is my DD and my only means of transport at the moment. If I blow this engine up, the next one will be a diesel for sure.

I took a few days off from work to do this project, so now I'll have to put in some overtime hours to pay for the foolish mistake of mine. If it don't rain this weekend I'll reweld my front bumper mounts and install the TJM-15 that arrived Monday. Then I have some fiberglass work to do, so the fenders fit properly, after that a paint job!

I'm trying to decide what kind of snorkel system I want to run, I really don't like that external set-up. Was thinking about plumbing it into the cab.

while its out, cut a hole in your firewall and route some pvc in tehre for a snorkel. Do the airbox mod too so you can close off the pvc for normal driving and visa versa when offroading.

Just a thought something I wish I did when mine was out...
Was thinking about that , I can still do it with the engine in... plenty of room.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bruce, you must have calibrated arms not to need torque wrench for any of it.

Great job man.....feels good doesn't it.
I am not sure if you needed to trade the other engine in as a core or not.
If not you should be able to recoup some money on the heads at least and part the rest.
.......or you could just start rebuliding that one for next time.

I saw a Taco with a hood mounted snorkel.....looked ok to me.
I can try to find the pic if you need it.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-23-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Hehe, when I wrenched for a living, I won many bets on how accurate I could torque bolts to, I was usually within + - 1 foot pound. Only on critical Items, like head, rod and crank bolt would I use a torque wrench. Then there are items that needed an inch pound torque specs....... Loctite is safe insurance....

No core deposit, so I plan to salvage all that I can from the old engine, I'm sure the heads are in great shape. Considering that the block has a big hole in the side, there's no rebuilding it.

As for snorkel system, I looked at the space between my fender and body. With the wider fenders I have plenty of space to run PVC pipe to the passenger compartment. It was too windy at work again today, so I'm gonna go down to buy the pipe and a hole saw. Since I already have the deckplate mod done, by running the intake inside the vehicle, the only way I'll get water in the engine, is if I flood the whole thing, by then I probably would destroy all the electronics anyways. As for the possible intake noise, I'm thinking of building some sort of baffling system.

When I drove to work today the check engine light finally went out and the ECU has adusted the idle back down to normal.

Last edited by BruceTS; 01-23-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

That's just amazing....

If anything goes wrong with my truck, I'm bringing it to ya
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

That's very inspiring work Bruce! You make it seem so easy. It took me practically a day to just get the torque converter to line up when I did my last (and first) swap. I look forward to watching your diesel swap. Maybe you could drop in the toyota v8 next weekend just for fun?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by transalper
That's very inspiring work Bruce! You make it seem so easy. It took me practically a day to just get the torque converter to line up when I did my last (and first) swap. I look forward to watching your diesel swap. Maybe you could drop in the toyota v8 next weekend just for fun?
getting a TC to line up can actually be quite a bitch sometimes, don't feel bad.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work! Please tell me you put headers on while you had that mother out...
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BruceTS
As for snorkel system, I looked at the space between my fender and body. With the wider fenders I have plenty of space to run PVC pipe to the passenger compartment. It was too windy at work again today, so I'm gonna go down to buy the pipe and a hole saw. Since I already have the deckplate mod done, by running the intake inside the vehicle, the only way I'll get water in the engine, is if I flood the whole thing, by then I probably would destroy all the electronics anyways. As for the possible intake noise, I'm thinking of building some sort of baffling system.
I started drawing up plans using an exhaust cut-out (basically switches between 2 pipes and is an air tight seal): http://www.mascperformance.com/catal...roducts_id=107

Use one of those and be able to switch from stock intake to snorkle intake with the flip of a switch. Then you could be in stock mode untill you were doing some water crossing...

There are several cheaper ones, I just googled exhaust cut-off for an electric one and that was at the top of the list.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 AM

Hey Bruce, what do you have against the external snorkel?

You don't have to worry with it, you can look out your window and see your intake The intake noise on an in cab snorkel would drive me crazy. Besides, ask Cornbread how easy it is to sink up to your windows, and on yours and mine, that would be almost to the roof
Old 01-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
i knew i should have put the t100 oil pan parts on mine before i put it in (while it was on an engine stand an i could just flip it over) :pat:
Old 01-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>

Considering this wasn't a planned engine swap and I had to use my credit card, there was no way I was gonna put on headers too, besides the engine puts out more than enough power for what I'm using it for.

Originally posted by 44Runner Hey Bruce, what do you have against the external snorkel?

You don't have to worry with it, you can look out your window and see your intake The intake noise on an in cab snorkel would drive me crazy. Besides, ask Cornbread how easy it is to sink up to your windows, and on yours and mine, that would be almost to the roof
Just a personal opinion, too much BLING BLING....

I'm not planning on going through water deeper than the height of my floorboards, Too many electronic boxes inside that can easily be damaged.

See my post on my $10 Snorkel System......
Old 02-28-2004, 12:06 PM

Well, I've just hydrolocked my engine. I'm in the process of pulling it now. I'm out of town for the next few days but my friend and I will get back to the project March 6th. For those of you who are like me (Only changed spark plugs and done an oil change) you should check back on the progress of my Runner. This has been an inspiring story and I can't wait to see how mine turns out.

PS, I was quoted $7,000 for the repair.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...675#post263675

Old 07-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Just a little update...... 0 issues since the swap....everything is working just fine.......
Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Man!! I hope the rebuild goes alright..Keep us informed..

Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Allan

Man!! I hope the rebuild goes alright..Keep us informed..

this is a very old thread...... just for those who didn't know what happened