Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How many miles on your 3.4L timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine was changed at 59k it now has 129k i dont think it should be changed any time soon
Old 06-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has 99,500 on it now. I'm about to do everything Toyota recommends during a timing belt replacement:

Timing belt
water pump
drive belts
thermostat
tensioner
idler
camshaft seals
crank shaft seal

and I'll also put in some new radiator hoses and keep the others as trail spares. Ordering from Strap22 and getting a great deal.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I'm at 87k and going strong, but it's starting to squeel, is that bad? If it goes, I hope it goes soon, my extended warranty is almost up!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:41 AM

Timing belts don't squeal...they are cogged. Your other belts could be squealing though.

BTW, I had mine done at 102K since I was leaving on a 3K mile vacation...

Last edited by hupptoy; 06-10-2006 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neliconcept
well i told them that i was having some belt squeaking issues when cold and starting in the low range rpms so they did some more diag on it and found that to be the issue.. plus i asked for resurfacing of my brakes too so it wasnt just oil change exactly but i wouldnt have thought of timing belt...
it wasn't the timing belt squealing... they don't squeal...

[edit]i should have scrolled down and read more before responding... [/edit]
Old 06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

was trying to help someone on anoher site about wether or not the toyota 5vz was a interference or not....i learned here that it wasnt but then i found this? anyone have the actual fsm that states weather it is or not? here is the site where i saw this...

http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/tec...gine/specs.htm

(bottom of page)
The timing-chain equipped engines are interference engines, as are the
5VZ-FE (3.4L OHC V6) motors. The 3VZ-FE (3.0L V6) are non-interference.
Most other Toyota motors are non-interference such as the 2S-FE and
3S-FE (Camry/Celica), 3E-E (Tercel/Paseo), etc.
- --
Jim Brink 1986 Standard Bed 4X4/22R
Toyota/ASE Certified Technician 135,000 Miles
brinkjm@earthlink.net 32" BFG All-Terrain T/As
Stock 4.10 gears
Rear Lock-Right (TRD)
Old 06-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the 3.4L and 3.0L have a belt so its a non-interference motor unlike the 22re when the chain breaks it takes the vavles with it
Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
the 3.4L and 3.0L have a belt so its a non-interference motor unlike the 22re when the chain breaks it takes the vavles with it
Just because its a belt, doesn't mean it's non-interference.

But yes the 3.4 is non-interference, it's been covered a ton on YT.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
Just because its a belt, doesn't mean it's non-interference.

But yes the 3.4 is non-interference, it's been covered a ton on YT.

i agree with the fact that it is non-interference, after reading this and a hundred other threads. just wondering that some that have posted are indeed mechanics from toyota. please scan/post the WRITING on this so when people search, there will be no more doubt in the matter (ya right....jared!!!)
anyhow, i hope someone could post this info. 30 votes for non and 4 for interference..ding, ding and the winner is!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rugerm44
Why wait till it brakes.Put the 75 dollar tow bill toward the parts.I think more of my truck than that.Let your belt go that long why bother changing oil.See how long the oil will last to,.Makes about as much sense!
First off, I carry everything in my rig that is needed to replace the belt roadside. I figure it would take me about 2 hours max... would have to wait a bit for things to cool down.... for me it's a very simple job, no need to call for a tow truck.

Originally Posted by fireteacher
was trying to help someone on anoher site about wether or not the toyota 5vz was a interference or not....i learned here that it wasnt but then i found this? anyone have the actual fsm that states weather it is or not? here is the site where i saw this...

http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/tec...gine/specs.htm

(bottom of page)
The timing-chain equipped engines are interference engines, as are the
5VZ-FE (3.4L OHC V6) motors. The 3VZ-FE (3.0L V6) are non-interference.
Most other Toyota motors are non-interference such as the 2S-FE and
3S-FE (Camry/Celica), 3E-E (Tercel/Paseo), etc.
- --
Jim Brink 1986 Standard Bed 4X4/22R
Toyota/ASE Certified Technician 135,000 Miles
brinkjm@earthlink.net 32" BFG All-Terrain T/As
Stock 4.10 gears
Rear Lock-Right (TRD)
Jim Brink is mis-informed, probably has never worked on a 5VZ-FE..... I have proof positive torn down one and have another on a engine stand, that I could show anyone if they want to stop by. All an ASE Certification means is he passed a test, big deal I have too! Now if you build a 3.4L and install cams with more lift, then there's no doubt they will hit, but we are talking about a stock motor.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

then those that still believe this motor is a interference are HATERS! tried to help you (you know who)
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fireteacher
Even the Gates timing belt book has it listed incorrectly as an interference motor (which it is not). BruceTS proved that a while back when he took measurements off an actual motor he had disassembled out back, there is no way the valves can hit the pistions in a 5VZ-FE engine. Seems kinda funny that Jim said the 5VZ-FE is interference while the 3VZ-FE is not yet they both are essentially the same motor just with an increase in displacement. I think maybe he must have been sick for that Toyota cert class.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-22-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bamachem
if a dealer says that a timing belt takes 2.5 hours according to their chargable time, you can BET that they have a tech who can do it in 1 to 1.5 hours - easily.
Correct. We call those jobs soup.

I just recently picked up a '00 4Runner 4WD and in the Toyota scheduled maintenance guide that came with it, it states that the timing belt should be changed at 90,000 miles.

Being a tech (certified Mitsu, Hyundai and ASE) even though it's a non-interference engine, I'd recommend not pushing your luck and getting it done as close to this mark as possible. Especially if you're an aggressive driver.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 AM

201k on my original. Maybe thats a record, who knows. But i'm halfway done with installation of the new one.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
201k on my original. Maybe thats a record, who knows. But i'm halfway done with installation of the new one.
And how did your old one look? I'm now at 140K (probably more since the odometer is off with bigger tirers) on my original belt - keep meaning to get that done.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just recently purchased my 95 4Runner with 3.0 had 90,600. To echo some of the previous responses, I used a Carfax I got when I purchased the truck from a Subaru dealer, turned up several interesting items all where good things too. My vehicle had been a lease so maintenance was done at the Toyota dealer who sold it in Arizona. I was able to call them and using the VIN and telling the Service guy that I needed maintenance info found out what had been done. I was also able to get the dealership that sold me the truck to give me the city in which the last owner resided. found out which Toyota dealers were close, made a few calls and found the dealership that had serviced it. Both CV boots replaced, front and rear differentials fluid replaced, transmission fluid replaced (manual gear box), oil changes, filters, radiator flush, all done between 87-89,000 but nothing about a timing belt. Told me to look on the belt cover or radiator for a service sticker that Toyota dealers will afix with the milage to tell when it was last replaced. Nothing, so I checked the owners manual and it recommends 60,000 so being at 150% of the service life, thought it might be prudent to change since I'm getting ready for a trip to SoCal (1200 miles) Hate the thought of being 20 miles outside Modesto at 2 am and it break. My mechanic at my Toyota dealer took 1.5 hours to change the belt. No indication of water pump issues so it wasn't replaced. He showed me the old belt and it looked fine but as he said, he had seen them almost new just up and part. As for interference/non-interference, was told the 3.0 is a non-interference so it just stops running till you sync everything back up and put a new belt on.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
And how did your old one look? I'm now at 140K (probably more since the odometer is off with bigger tirers) on my original belt - keep meaning to get that done.
Not bad at all actually. No cracks or minimal signs of wear.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM

Just replaced mine last weekend, 124862 miles.

I should mention I just bought the Runner on the 2nd of June.

Everything looked original behind the cover, no numbers on the belt, water pump had been leaking, corrosion out of the weep hole was everywhere. Replaced the pump, belt, both idlers, while I was in there.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my measurements came directly from an engine I have in my backyard that I blew up last year.
Hey Bruce, how'd ya blow it up? Timing belt let go?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 AM

A timing belt with no signs of wear can break. Any belt with visible signs of wear should be replaced immediately!

Rook

Quick Reply: How many miles on your 3.4L timing belt?