Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help with difference of long and short FJ coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with difference of long and short FJ coils

What is the easiest way to tell if FJ80 coils are short side or long side? I need two short side coils on the back of my 4runner - and a guy who has his stock cruiser coils doesn't know if they are long or short, how can we tell?

thanks for any help
Old 06-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
What is the easiest way to tell if FJ80 coils are short side or long side? I need two short side coils on the back of my 4runner - and a guy who has his stock cruiser coils doesn't know if they are long or short, how can we tell?

thanks for any help
Does he have stock coils from 2 separate Landcruisers? It was my understanding that you need the rear coils, long or short and that you would have to get them from 2 vehicles depending on which you wanted. Does that make sense? There should be a noticeable difference in either the size of the coils or height but I honestly haven't looked at the two side by side. I bought mine from www.sleeoffroad.com
Old 06-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toddowaddo
Does he have stock coils from 2 separate Landcruisers? It was my understanding that you need the rear coils, long or short and that you would have to get them from 2 vehicles depending on which you wanted. Does that make sense? There should be a noticeable difference in either the size of the coils or height but I honestly haven't looked at the two side by side. I bought mine from www.sleeoffroad.com
I want the short ones because apparently the long are 8" over our stock height?!?! the shorts would be about 3" which is what Im looking for. I guess my confusion is with the 'long side' and 'short side' - logically I would think taller ones were in the back, shorter in the front or whatnot, but it's not the case. Of all the responses I got of people saying ' "yeah I have them", nobody yet knows what I mean when I ask about short or long!

I will check out sleeoffroad for them - did you specify short or long when you bought? thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
I want the short ones because apparently the long are 8" over our stock height?!?! the shorts would be about 3" which is what Im looking for. I guess my confusion is with the 'long side' and 'short side' - logically I would think taller ones were in the back, shorter in the front or whatnot, but it's not the case. Of all the responses I got of people saying ' "yeah I have them", nobody yet knows what I mean when I ask about short or long!

I will check out sleeoffroad for them - did you specify short or long when you bought? thanks
I asked for the short ones.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 PM

ok, guys. you want rear coils from an FJ80. on the FJ80's they have a longer side and a shorter side in the rear. i assume longer on the gas tank side, but i don't know. on the one set that i bought there was only a half inch difference. i put these in my 4Runner and there is still a half inch difference from side to side, but you can't tell just by looking at it, only by actually measuring it.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
ok, guys. you want rear coils from an FJ80. on the FJ80's they have a longer side and a shorter side in the rear. i assume longer on the gas tank side, but i don't know. on the one set that i bought there was only a half inch difference. i put these in my 4Runner and there is still a half inch difference from side to side, but you can't tell just by looking at it, only by actually measuring it.
ahh, got ya - so you would need a short coil from two cruisers for an even raise. thanks
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM

yeah, for a perfect even lift you would either need two long or two short side coils. i used one long and one short and i think it looks fine, like i said you can only tell there is a difference by actually measuring it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
yeah, for a perfect even lift you would either need two long or two short side coils. i used one long and one short and i think it looks fine, like i said you can only tell there is a difference by actually measuring it.

If you put the longer coil on the same side as the gas tank, is it still uneven?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:14 AM

yeah, thats exactly what i did. if you check out my webshots link and go and click on the Lift albulm you can see some pics of how level or unlevel it is (however you wanna put it)
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 PM

ok well now that i finally have new shocks all around, you can definetly tell the difference! i'll have to look into buying the 1/2" spacer from Slee offroad. meh!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:20 PM

Mines uneven too And I think they are both short side coils???

It leans a little to the passenger side. Can this have anything to do with the front and the torsion bars??
Old 06-02-2004, 11:23 PM

oh man, ok well mine only lean to one side sometimes and the weird thing is that it almost seems like its leaning to the opposite side, but im gonna have to worry about that later, for some reason my engine decided to start overheating today. i don't really feel like driving around with the heat on all summer, so i need to figure this out first.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered a set from Christo today at Slee.

I was talking to him about long side and short side. He brought up a really good point. If you go looking for two different sets of coils to cherry pic the long or short ones, how do you know they are from similar mileage vehicles? This will undoubtly affect how they perform and how they sit. You might get one from a 60K vehicle and one from a 180K vehicle.

He did say the height difference is less than 1/2" and if once on the vehicle, it's something that bothers you, get a 5 or 10mm spacer (10mm is less than 1/2").

I bought into this logic. I think he knows a bit more than me on the subject...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The easiest way to tell tall versus short is to look at them.

Spacers will only add height, not subtract it.

I have chronicled what I did several million times. I bought 4. Two were noticably shorter and about equal. Two were taller, but not the same height exactly. I swapped all 4 side to side, etc. It always leaned to the side the short coil was on. So far with 15k miles or so, there have been no issues.

Someone tell me how much Christo is charging now.

Mike, you should have done this dude a favor and bought two pair so you could sell him the short ones.

This is really easy, but it provides a lot of lift if you have a stock rear. Even with short ones, you are going to be tall.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:48 PM

you really can't notice the difference from the short side to the long side on my 4Runner, unless you actually measure it.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:43 PM

i emailed about a set of short sides from slee about a week ago. he told me $80 for a matched pair of short side springs. also flygenstien i read an old post u made about all your suspension work and how much u paid for parts. i have searched like crazy and i cant find parts near as cheap as u listed them. could u give me some input and where you got some of your stuff. thanks

Last edited by carose725; 06-17-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:03 PM

well i know he got his coils a lot cheaper because there was NO demand for them up untill a few months ago.