Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELLA 500's Install Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELLA 500's Install Help?

Can anyone please give me some tips on how to best install some Hella 500's. Also I just bought the Hella's allong with some 100/watt bulbs do the bulbs really make a big difference compared to the 55/watt?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I just happen to have two sets of the Hella 500s on my rig.
What do you need to know?

For starters, junk the Hella switch that came with them, and get the Toyota factory switch available at your dealer.
Here is a JPG with the correct wiring info.

Hella tells you to wire up your hot wire from your switch to the headlamps low or highbeam, I forget which one.
I like to have total control over my lights, so I choose to tap the first time into the cockpits fusebox and tuck the wire in behind a fuse that was hot with the key on.
Since then, I now have all my lights wired up hot so they can come on without the key. They are wired to an aux. fusebox under the hood.

If you are putting them on the roof, Jackson here has some tech write-ups on his website.
Once there click on the menu on the left side and choose write-ups, then "wiring roof mounted lamps."

They are pretty easy to hookup. About the hardest part is reading the dang small #'s on the solenoid they give you that you mount under the hood.

I have been tempted to try the 100 watt bulbs in mine, but have not yet. The 55 watt ones are pretty darn bright as it is.

Another option you can look into is getting clear covers for them.
Old picture.
Here is the website.

It makes it real nice as I don't like the white covers they came with. Kind of hard to snap them on and off to.
My clear covers have been in place for a very long time and look new. They shed rock chips quite nice.

Any more questions, just ask.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:41 PM

Corey pretty much covered it... the wiring all depends on what kind of control you want over them.

I'd be concerned with the extra heat generated by the 100Wers...
Old 07-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

As I recall the instructions come with the options to either wire them in with your high beams or with the switch. I too would go with only running them off the switch. That factory switch Corey shows is awesome. I have the same setup on my truck for my Hella's. Let us know when you get them installed. I think you will be pleased
Old 07-17-2002, 05:48 AM

Thanks eveyone!

Everyone,
Thanks allot for the help, I am going to install them this weekend. They are going on to my Grille Guard on my 95 4Runner. Once they are done I will shoot some photos and let everyone see what kind of mess I make.

Corey one more thing, in your fuse panel what fuse did you tap into? And I did take your advise and ordered some of those clear covers, And a factory switch.

Thanks Again
SnahDog
Old 07-17-2002, 06:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
SnahDog, I tapped into the stereo fuse it looks like.

When you tap, you don't need to worry about blowing a fuse because you are only drawing a small amount of juice to power the light in the switch, and to energize the relay under the hood.

Since then though, I have removed all of the taps, and this is what I ended up doing.

I had quite a few wires playing taps in my fuse box, and it was gettin' ugly in there.

Also, when you tap into the fuse box, you have to tap into the correct end for it.
There is some more
info here.
Look for Bill's response below my post about tapping the correct end.
Corey