Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gun owners – Interior holster suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i shoot competitive shot gun sports ( mostly sporting clays , some skeet) and i jsut cant figure out how to set up a crossdraw holster for my beretta 391 12 guage. LOL , just kidding.
i wish there was a simple answer to this question , but as many of you have noticed we are all different. its all going to come down to preference, left or right handed , local laws, and many other factors.
just remeebr to keep it safe.

airrikk17
Old 03-16-2003, 01:57 PM

Well, I just got back from the store and from standing in front of the mile of holsters they have, I didn't see anything that works for me. If I recall correctly, I think it was KCRunner(?) that mentioned having a rig mounted somewhere near his console.

If I can't find anything, I may end up getting some visquene<sp?> and form it in some hot water to make a "pouch", then line it with foam.

If I had to verbally desribe what I'm thinking, I am working towards a legal, non-concealed (very liberal interpretation here in AZ) holster that would be mounted on or near the console, close to my calf or thigh, right side, hence the need for a lefty holster if I use a stocker.

Also, there was a question on another board regarding the "need" to carry, here is what I posted:

"Well, I think it's an individual thing. The laws in AZ are pretty liberal about carrying. I have also had a CCW since it's inception here.

Directly, it is for protection. My wife carries as well. It's not a macho thing (for me anyhow), just a strong sense of self-preservation. I try very hard to downplay the fact that I carry and whenever possible I try to maintain concealment. Both the wife and I have had long conversations about the dreaded "what if" and we both hope to hell that it never happens.

Another factor is the number of law enforcement officers in my family (mother, brother, sister, 2 uncles). All too often we have heard stories regarding a situation where a well placed shot would save the life of a loved one. Of course, it is a double edged sword.

I personally feel that the folks who carry to be a bad ass are a bigger threat to my safety than an armed criminal..."

Safe indeed and hopefully never fired in anger.

Mike
Old 03-16-2003, 04:15 PM
ATC

Here in KY you can carry a sidearm in your vehicle in the glove box only. On the inside of the glove box I cut out a small piece so the belt clip locks into the side of the glove box. When you open it the pistol is right there & easy to grab.

If your going to CC I highly recommend the Sig P-230 in Stainless. Plenty of punch & very smooth lines so as to not dig in anywhere or bulge under clothing. My holster of choice is the Bianchi suede line of holsters w/ or w/o thumb breaks. The P-230 is Dbl action so I don't need the thumb break but for my Kimber Custom Target 45ACP I have the thumb break since I carry it locked & cocked.

In regards to a few of the replies about carrying a side arm in a vehicle & concerns. I to was brought up as a child w/ guns in the house & my father taught marksmanship in the military. So needless to say safety always came first. I don't worry about anyone ever bothering me while I'm out. My main reason is in the event I see an animal hit by someone & it is still alive I can stop & end its suffering. I have done this on 2 occasions w/ Deer.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:38 PM

holster that would be mounted on or near the console, close to my calf or thigh
What your after is called the Fobus "Universal Vehicle and Home Mount."

http://secure.fobusholster.net/

There is a write up about it in theApril '03 issue of SWAT magazine.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:19 PM

Hey AZRAIN... what about an overhead console?? If a guy had one w/ a open face above the driver......... see where Im goin'?
ATC, my old partner @ work had the same Kimber you have. That thing is SA-WEET. Very nice, very nice indeed.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:11 PM
ATC

Hey 1Runner, Yeah this Kimber is the best shooting 1911 I have ever owned. The accuracy is unreal for an out of the box pistol.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:13 PM

alittle off topic but up here in canada we can carry.

so ill just post pics of my toys

Old 03-16-2003, 06:20 PM
ATC

Sweet looks like a Rem PSS & a ParaOrdanance P-14. Right?
Old 03-16-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by ATC
Sweet looks like a Rem PSS & a ParaOrdanance P-14. Right?
good eye my friend
Old 03-16-2003, 06:37 PM
ATC

Guns are just a small hobby of mine & I used to own both of those myself. For the $$$ you can't beat the PSS but I have a weakness for the unusual. I replaced the PSS w/ the Carbon fiber Rem 700 & now its been replaced w/ the Tikka M595 Target.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:37 PM

holstering your weapon

I know that in the state of Washington if you have a c.w.p, you can carry a firearm in a holster, as long as it is on your person.You can not put it in your glove box or center console.or anywhere in the vehicle if its loaded. Stater went nuts when i opened my center console and there sat my 9 m.m in its holster. Also where i keep insurance papers. Took pistol off when i got in the truck to drive for 2 hours ,didnt want it stuck in my back for the long ride. i just thought i'd let you know to make sure that it legal first ,trying to save you some cash.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Re: holstering your weapon

Originally posted by Mytyota
I know that in the state of Washington if you have a c.w.p, you can carry a firearm in a holster, as long as it is on your person.You can not put it in your glove box or center console.or anywhere in the vehicle if its loaded. Stater went nuts when i opened my center console and there sat my 9 m.m in its holster. Also where i keep insurance papers. Took pistol off when i got in the truck to drive for 2 hours ,didnt want it stuck in my back for the long ride. i just thought i'd let you know to make sure that it legal first ,trying to save you some cash.
The stater was making an interesting interpretation of the law. The courts have generally agreed that the issue is really about keeping the firearm within your control. If you are the only one in the rig, just about anywhere in the rig is under your control. If you have a passenger and place the firearm in the pocket of the passenger door or even the glovebox, it might be said that it is in the control of the passenger, not the driver. The center console could be debated either way.

The actual law reads;

"RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(2) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (a) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (b) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (c) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

It's section 2a where the definition of "on the licensee's person" has been debated. Interestingly enough, 2b and 2c have been successfully argued to mean that "on the licensee's person" really means "in the licensee's control".

Had you already informed the patroller that he was about to see a firearm? Was he aware that you were lawfully in possession of it? If not, (s)he was likely reacting more to the shot of adrenaline they got when they saw it, rather than where it was actually stashed.

In Washington, you are NOT required to inform law enforcement that you are packing unless they ask you directly. But I have always found that handing them my CCW when I think that there slightest chance they are going to see my weapon is a much appreciated courtesy that does much to lower the tension in the area during the contact. When driving, I generally keep my essential papers in a separate location from the weapon, so I don't have to go near it during a stop and so that revealing it is at my discretion.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by airrikk17
i shoot competitive shot gun sports ( mostly sporting clays , some skeet) and i jsut cant figure out how to set up a crossdraw holster for my beretta 391 12 guage. LOL , just kidding.
i wish there was a simple answer to this question , but as many of you have noticed we are all different. its all going to come down to preference, left or right handed , local laws, and many other factors.
just remeebr to keep it safe.

airrikk17
You shoot sporting clays too eh? Have you been to any of the Big Blast shoots like the Seminole or the Carribean cup? I was at both, and didn't do squat but then again I am in a slump right now. I can't break into the 90s to save my life. To correct that I've been doing some cross training in american trap and bunker trap to help the concentration side of things. Mom has been kicking butt in ladies as well. (Mom = Diane Nelson)

So you shoot a Beretta 391? How do you like yours? Have you had the barrel ported, the forcing cones lengthened, the internals polished, or a kickezz pad done? Right now I'm shooting a fairly well broken in 390 Gold tricked out by Rhino.

Well i have to run to immunology class, PM me if ya see this.

Steve Nelson
NSCA# 508189
Old 03-17-2003, 06:51 AM

WATRD is right about the law in Wa. The court just ruled affirming what he says.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:37 AM

I have CCW Permit here in VA and have been looking for a way have my sidearm in the car when driving as the 4Runner is not as comfortable as other cars to ride with a holster on. I have not found a good way to mount a holster in my mine so that I can access it easily. I have been setting my pistol in the door pocket of the drivers door while I am driving. I put some foam in the pocket and it holds the gun well. Not the best but it works ok for now.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

I just carry mine around in my right hand, loaded, cocked and ready to fire, even while driving. I carry my extra rounds all the way around my belt and also a sash I wear crisscrossing my chest and back. I used to use a holster and a speed loader but I found I was using the weapon 9 out of 10 times while in or around my 4Runner.

Last edited by keisur; 03-17-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 AM

I carry my Kimber CS-II in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. I like it because at the 4 o'clock position it is concealed even if someone were to walk by my passenger side when I am in the truck. I carry my spare mag in a Fobus paddle single mag carrier. I was considering one of the Fobus auto holsters attachments for a Fobus Roto holster. Also, for any of the guys with Kimbers out there, my Kimber fits in a Fobus Browning Hi-Power holster (C-21), and was too loose in a Fobus Government Model holster (C-2)
Old 03-17-2003, 10:15 AM

I have not had much luck with the Fobus holsters for that very reason, they seem to be too tight or too loose. I have a Gould and Goodrich Yaqui style holster for my H&K USP compact .40 that works very nice small and concelable, but I find the seats in the 4Runner not as comfortable to ride in with the pistol holstered.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

WATRD...

Excellent comments, good advice.
Reaching into a compartment to retrieve papers for an officer could be real trouble if there is also a weapon in there. While you may be communicating verbally with the officer at your window, he may have a partner that has come up on your passenger side. What do you think he's gonna do if he sees a handgun in the glove box you're reaching into? I don't wanna know.
I do not think it's a good idea to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle, unless it's on your person. Either keep it unloaded in a proper carrying case, or wear it in a proper holster. My 2 cents.
Jim
Old 03-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

I have a truck not a 4-runner. But i keep my 357 in the holster between the seat and the center consoles it fit nice and tight and easy to get too.

I also add mounts to my subs so i can carry a long rifle behind the seat. My ak-47 of mimi-14 sit nice right on top on the subs even with the 30 round mags.

Quick Reply: Gun owners – Interior holster suggestions