Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got Hit Headon by a Semi Truck this Morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...es/airbag1.htm
thought airbags were not impact sensors but measure deceleration, so they deploy when you slow down extremely fast
You would have to be in motion for them to deploy...I could be misunderstanding how they work..

One thing to ask is why was he driving on the wrong side of the road?
"A force equal to driving into a brick wall at 15 miles an hour" I think a big rig hitting you at about 30mph can achieve those forces.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Unless this accident occurred in England, that rig is on the wrong side of the road. And from the looks of the pictures, I cannot see how you could pull out in front of him and have the damage on the front of your truck (focused towards the passenger side) and the damage on the rig on the passenger side corner. I would think that if you pulled out in front of him that the damage would be on the driver side of your truck and the front of the rig.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM

I'd take it to court and call in your boss and the police chief as witnesses. If they heard the trucker say that, then thats 3 to 1. My dad was a tow truck driver for many years when I was younger, I went with him on calls when I could, from the pics it looks as if he did swerve. Lawyer up and take them to court. Insurance company will screw you. take the driver and the trucking company to court and sue for all bills and for a replacement truck. My buddy got hit by a panel truck hauling ice, and thats what he did. He was at a stop light waiting to turn on to the road and the truck hit him and the driver tried the same thing saying he pulled out. He won tho. His lawyer got the traffic cameras on the stop light poles
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Ok that clears things up !!

just what were you charged with??

I really hate Fog.

Now the damage makes sense.

the truck is planning to make the turn into the side road and just misjudged just where the road was due to driving to fast for conditions .

Seeing the picture with the truck taking out the stop sign makes more sense.

Being lost in the Fog I have almost hit trees in my own driveway.

The fact family is involved could go both ways it may be prudent to see what kind of settlement can be reached.

Good luck in any case?/

Last edited by wyoming9; 12-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM

If you want to prove your case, you need to have someone retrieve the data from your ecu, and srs arming sensors. Here's one http://www.ataassociates.com/Data.htm
There are quite a few out there, usually employed by an insurance company when there is an injury lawsuit.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get the contact info of the policeman who witnessed the driver admitting fault?

I recently had my m3 hit and i got the contact info of a witness. Contacted my insurance company, gave them the info of the person who hit me and the witnesses contact and they took care of the rest. The other driver tried to say it was both our faults, but with the witness, they really didn't have a leg to stand on. Their insurance paid for the repairs 100%.
Was just a fender bender, so no police report.

Last edited by SCToy; 12-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM

I did get the officers name that heard the truck driver say it was his fault (basically). Talked to the cop and it turns out that he id the Chief. He told me the driver told him "I thought he was going to pull out, so I swerved" he also said he would call the reporting officer and have him put that in his report.

as of right now my insurance company is trying to handle it and get it settled before it goes to court. So i guess i just have to wait and see what they can do
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Keith122
If you want to prove your case, you need to have someone retrieve the data from your ecu, and srs arming sensors. Here's one http://www.ataassociates.com/Data.htm
There are quite a few out there, usually employed by an insurance company when there is an injury lawsuit.
hmm.... might have to check that out, i wonder how much they charge to do it?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 PM

Sounds like you'll be ok, but still a major bummer.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you get the report if its not in there contest it. I learned the hard way myself about that, had no clue they must change it if its wrong.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM

insurance is giving me $13,600 for the truck

so i'm looking at 2000-07 Tundras, anything i should know about them? major problems to look for? anything like that?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a 2005 Tundra 2WD Double Cab (4.7L V8) with a 2/3" leveling kit and 33" tires. I love the truck and I would keep it til the wheels fall off if it didn't get 12mpg. It has 140,000 miles on it (owned it since new) and I never had a single problem with it until today actually! I went to unlock my door today (with the key because I always break the keyless remotes) and it wouldn't turn - none of the locks would turn! Turns out that I have worn my key out bad enough that it won't unlock the doors anymore (but it would still start the truck and I could actually take the key out of the ignition while it's running). Went to the dealership to get a new one made and now all is good! Seriously, that has been my ONLY problem with the truck other than standard maintenance. Doesn't leak fluids, has lots of power and drives really well. I have put it through the ringer too - towing loads well over its towing capacity, hauling loads greater than the payload, it gets a workout and never faulters. It's a truck, I treat it as such.

But like I said, the gas mileage sucks! If I had tons of money or the gas mileage were better I would keep it forever. I'm waiting to see what the 2015 Tacoma redesign looks like and if I like it then I'll trade it in for that, if it looks like crap I'll try to get a leftover 2014 Tacoma. I want the V6 Double Cab TRD Tacoma since I don't really need fullsize truck capabilities anymore.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:11 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by dropzone
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...es/airbag1.htm
thought airbags were not impact sensors but measure deceleration, so they deploy when you slow down extremely fast
You would have to be in motion for them to deploy...I could be misunderstanding how they work..

One thing to ask is why was he driving on the wrong side of the road?
Nope. Impact from a semi is sufficient force...

The jury is still out on the best airbag sensors system. For example, Toyota and Jaguar use electromechanical airbag igniters in which a small switch senses a crash force. If it is great enough, an igniter pin drives into the sodium azide packets used to inflate airbags.
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-safety...ag-system-work

OP -- should you notice any injuries, aches, pain, etc, definitely get it checked out ASAP. A lot of the time it takes a couple days for them to show up. Not telling you to lie or defraud, but from the insurance company's perspective, totaling your truck is cheap. The personal injury stuff can be tremendously costly and will make them proactively work to shift the blame to the semi driver... Again, be honest, but recognize that insurance is entirely a cost/benefit/probability analysis operation.

Last edited by RSR; 12-06-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
RSR

The crap part about accidents is that even if it's not your fault, you usually get penalized somehow by increased insurance rates...

At least the guy had insurance... Here in Texas, my wife's been rear-ended 4 times in the past decade and not one of them had insurance... 3 of the 4 were not US citizens... 2 of them she and other accident witnesses had to chase down to get them to stop...
So needless to say, carrying comprehensive insurance with an uninsured driver rider is increasing a have to.

On my truck, I have this (saves our rigs from body/frame damage, reduces felt force of impact, and reduces likelihood that person hitting you will end up under your truck...): http://www.superbumper.com/

Combined with an ARB type bumper on front and heavy duty rock sliders in a step configuration, and you've protected your truck about as much as you can... Unfortunately, semis will always win...

Last edited by RSR; 12-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
RSR

Look into the balljoint recalls -- I'm not a Tundra expert, but I think the first and second gen both had pretty serious issues with their front suspension balljoint setup. Current gen is corrected I think.

Actually, there's a thread here on YT. Here you go: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/...ailure-258350/
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Look into the balljoint recalls -- I'm not a Tundra expert, but I think the first and second gen both had pretty serious issues with their front suspension balljoint setup. Current gen is corrected I think.

Actually, there's a thread here on YT. Here you go: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/...ailure-258350/
thats the one thing that scares me. idk how to tell if the vehicle has had the recall work done or not

also i'm not looking foreword to the timing belt, just did one on my tacoma 2 years ago and that sucked. plus idk if a tundra will fit in my garage so i'd have to wait until spring to do the timing belt. the 4.7 is an interference engine right?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

From everything I have heard, the Tundra is by far the worst car that Toyota makes. They are slowly improving them but still from the guys I know that work at the dealerships, they tell me repeatedly how the tundras are the problem Child.

If you want a full sized truck, Go American all day, every day. We simply do it better. Personally a Ford guy as I truly they they make a better truck but any of them are better then the Tundra both IMO and from what I hear.

If you plan to tow then this gets multiplied.

Surprised that you are getting anything close to that much for it. I would have expected half that. Which insurance is making the payout, yours or his?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I'd have to disagree that america makes better full size trucks. Nissan is the only company to still sell fully boxed frames in america. Every ford and chevy I worked on had a joke of a frame. I'd never even consider one for off road.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SCToy
I'd have to disagree that america makes better full size trucks. Nissan is the only company to still sell fully boxed frames in america. Every ford and chevy I worked on had a joke of a frame. I'd never even consider one for off road.
Ok, I forgot about Nissan offering a full sized. The titan is not bad.

I would run the Raptor off road all day. lol

Although really a full sized truck is not what you get to do serious off roading unless you are talking those jacked up 4 feet monster trucks.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM

I've had a chance to look at a couple of raptors, and they are good for a factory truck offroad, but honestly they are still pretty garbage compared to doing something custom. If you just want a plug and play stock truck, I could understand getting one. BUT if you really wanted something good offroad that was brand new, I would have to get the nissan frontier. 4x4 v6 with the rear diff lock for 30k and still would have 15k for tires, and a good long travel kit (compared to the 45k for the raptor) Would save a ton of money not having to strip down a truck and fix the bad frame engineering. This is coming from a guy who doesn't even like Nissans, they've just got a better offer right now.

Unfortunately toyota really has lost me with their new vehicles, the most enticing thing is the scion FR-S and it is just too small inside for me. The Tacoma got fat and the frame is pretty pathetic compared to the pickup. The tundra has nothing on the T100 to me, besides the V8.

Plus, for the price of a new toyota, you could get an old one and pay for a professionally swapped motor out of a new one and end up with the best of both worlds.

If you're heart is set on a full size, it's all kind of a wash to me because they are all big automatic pigs for the most part, which has zero appeal to me, but I'll always take a boxed frame over C-channel.

Last edited by SCToy; 12-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Got Hit Headon by a Semi Truck this Morning