Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FYI - Rip Off Alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
so if I don't have a winch, would it still be ok and safe for me to pull people out of ditches using a recovery strap?
I've done this lots of times but around here, that's what we all do. Most local people accept they'll get stuck sooner or later and are happy for you to help them.

I'd be pretty careful though with people you don't know. Some people seem to be very happy to accept help, but if something gets broken it's instantly your fault...
Old 11-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Sure, I've done it. Most people don't really care they just want to get home/work/wherever and will do just about anything to get free. I was out 4x4ing one day and found some idiot with a 2wd eddie bauer explorer stuck in the sand. Lucky for him I had a tow strap with me. He had gotten 5 friends togehter and were going to try and dig it out, but the problem was that he couldn't get traction to move, he was bottomed out a little, but I had him on in 5min where they would have been there for 5 hours. Maybe more, it also had just started raining. Just be careful with a--holes that might try and get a quick buck off you.

now to be ot, I am not a fan of performance products. Yes, they have a nice mag, and I'm sure are making tons of money off all the people that are deprived of the internet. I am someone that doesn't want to pay for all those jazzy descriptions of products, and one thing I noticed... EVERY product in that mag is PERFECT and has no down sides. I laugh when I read them, they glorify a bit too much imho and I'd much rather give my business to the smaller companies that are just getting off the ground and are also more dedicated ie xtremeoff-road. Mike is a good guy, and now basicly a friend of mine. How many times have you made friends when you have called up PP?

Just my .02
Old 11-07-2003, 03:54 PM

Treat people like you would want to be teated and the world would be a little better place to live. When I help someone out of a bind.I try to think that they would do the same for me. If the they ask how much I just tell them to help someone else if the need it.Thats payment in full.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by JSharp

I'd be pretty careful though with people you don't know. Some people seem to be very happy to accept help, but if something gets broken it's instantly your fault...
That's a really good point. So should I have them sign a waiver or somethin? lol, that would probably freak them out. All I have is my WARN receiver shackle and erikson recovery strap I got from both group buys

Which brings me my next question, what is better, Pulling in reverse, or pulling in drive? Or does it just depend on the situation? I would think pulling forward in drive would be better.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

pullin' directions...

I was alawys told to pull in reverse... several reasons...
1. reverse is a lower gear
2. you should always be able to clearly see what you are pulling out that way if something starts to go wrong you can STOP before it's to late.
3. you can slip the clutch to tension up the tow line with out any jerking... god for your driveline and attachment points.
4. if you have to block trafic to do the deed make sure you have flag persons (gotta be pc) to stop or warn trafic. (you don't want to get T-boned for you trouble.
don't forget to pull in 4low and slow and steady. Have some one else in the other car to steer as you pull them out. and also brief everyone on exactly what you will be doing and don't let anyone stand between the two vehicles in case the line breaks (it could kill them). chers aviator
Old 11-07-2003, 09:59 PM

I've pulled a lot of things out in reverse with my old Pathfinder, all the way up in size to a agricultural spraying truck the neighbor got stuck in a huge snow bank. The Nissan had gods biggest tow hook on the front stock so it was natural to do it that way.

The trouble is when using a strap on something really stuck or heavy you need ground speed to get enough momentum to get the strap to work and not get pulled back. In reverse it's hard to control where you're going and hard to see.