Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FTC1 Settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTC1 Settings

I have a 1996 4Runner auto 2wd with a supercharger, FTC1 w/Esc, Supra injectors & MAF, headers, cat back, etc.

I've had this setup since 2006 with no problems. About 2 months ago I ran out of gas (perhaps coincidental). For the past month my engine would crank, but once in a while it would take 10 seconds or so to "catch". Once or twice when cruising the engine would have a major hiccup.

Recently when the engine wouldn't catch right away, the battery died (probably coincidental). I got a jump, and it started. I drove home, shut it off, then restarted with no problem.

I recharged the battery overnight, tried to start the next day, but it wouldn't start, and the battery died within of 15 seconds of cranking. I replaced the battery so it would crank, but it would not start.

I checked many things: compression, plugs, fuel pump, etc. but to no avail. I checked the FTC1, and it appeared that the fuel map was still good. The values ranged from 10 to 11, all the cells were populated.

I had it towed to a mechanic who told me that the injectors were dumping way too much fuel.

I now question if the FTC1 settings are correct. I think the fuel map is OK, the timing map is all 0's.

The system settings are vacuum/pressure, programmable signal calibrator.

The engine settings are 6 cylinder and 4 stroke.

The output settings are PWM mode pressure 0 to 30 psi/3 vdc FS, Output A aux fuel pump with abortive start time, Output B over pressure, Output C inj A and B over /latch, over rpm 6000, over pressure 3, over inj% 90, fuel pump start pressure -1, fuel pump run time 3, fuel pump startup time 120.

The aux input settings are all a coeff = 0 and all b coeff = 1.

Can anyone confirm these are correct for my truck? Better yet can anyone provide an R4 db file?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the FTC1 has malfunctioned. Do you think this plausible? Do you know of anyone who had an FTC1 failure? Do you have any opinion on a diagnosis of my problem?

My truck is down and it's my only means of transportation so I would really like resolve this ASAP. Help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM

I haven't heard of the FTC1 having problems other than tuning, but if your maps look good I wouldn't think it's a programming issue. Have you checked your fuel filter? If the sump dries and sucks up a bunch of gunk from the bottom of the tank, it's all going to go there.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 PM

okie,

According to the mechanic the injectors are dumping too much fuel. How does he know? Apparently he has a light indicator that displays when the injectors fire. He said it lit up like a Xmas tree. He said he removed the plugs and they were wet with gas.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Cool Bump

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? No one has an FTC1? Wowww.....c'mon help a brother out!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Maybe your AFR's were low and he's assuming your injectors are causing the excess fuel, that's my guess.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Well, here is a development. The mechanic removed the FTC1, and the engine started ... and runs apparently fine. I drove it home. It seems to be a little sluggish on take off, but in the mid to high rpm range it feels pretty peppy.

I thought that it would run poorly, if at all, with the Supra injectors and MAF and no FTC1. My EGT gauge did not indicate high exhaust temps. It idles a bit low ~ 400-500 rpm, and it has a CEL. I will read the codes tomorrow.

But this implies that the FTC1 has become defective, e.g. dumping too much fuel. Don't forget, I've had it running with the FTC1 for 4+ years, and then - shazam, it won't start.

Next stop - Split Second. By the way, thanks to you guys who tried to help.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Glad to hear you got things running smooth now, that's a suprising find.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about the FTC1, but IIRC on my FTC a valve of 10 on the fuel map is max fuel. My fuel map ranges from 8.5 (lowest) to 9.6 (highest) with 318cc injectors.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-02-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

When in doubt read the U-tune guide again: http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf

I quote from the U-tune guide:

A value of 10, which is neutral for the fuel map, was used as a starting point. Within
seconds of the O2 sensor coming online, the short term trim maxed out at –20.3%. If
you see this much of a change that fast, shut down right away. You now know that you
have to pull a bunch of fuel out. The next attempt was using a value of 9.5. That still
was a tad rich, so a value of 9.4 was used and that turned out to be the magic number
for this vehicle for a base map to tune from.

Originally Posted by ufjaz
... I checked the FTC1, and it appeared that the fuel map was still good. The values ranged from 10 to 11, all the cells were populated....
So anything above 10 would be adding more fuel than the ECU would do without the FTC.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-02-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Yes. I agree. The map I created was using the URD Guide. I was using it for about 4 years, until this event. That's why I was asking for other fuel maps to see if my map was out of line. I don't think it was.

I believe either Gadget or Split Second sent me a map from an FTC1 with a SC, Supra injectors & MAF when I first installed the FTC1, and I believe my tuned map was in the ball park (10 to 11 values).

I wonder if you should be expected to keep updating (retuning) the fuel map as time passes? Perhaps that was the issue. Perhaps the injector nozzles erode. Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

What size are your injectors? Seems to me 10-11 values would be too high unless you had stock injectors or less than ideal injectors.

I've noticed some erratic behavior from my FTC too that seemed to be related to a low battery, and it went away after charging. Definitely possible the FTC could have been damaged by a surge or something is wrong with it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-03-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Something else comes to mind, the MAF. I copied this from a TSB from Ford but I think all would apply to us too.

MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) DISCUSSION

MAF sensors can get contaminated from a variety of sources: dirt, oil, silicon, spider webs, potting compound from the sensor itself, etc. When a MAF sensor gets contaminated, it skews the transfer function such that the sensor over-estimates air flow at idle (causes the fuel system to go rich) and under-estimates air flow at high air flows (causes fuel system to go lean). This means Long Term Fuel Trims will learn lean (negative) corrections at idle and learn rich (positive) corrections at higher air flows.

If vehicle is driven at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) or high loads, the fuel system normally goes open loop rich to provide maximum power. If the MAF sensor is contaminated, the fuel system will actually be lean because of under-estimated air flow. During open loop fuel operation, the vehicle applies Long Term Fuel Trim corrections that have been learned during closed loop operation. These corrections are often lean corrections learned at lower air flows. This combination of under-estimated air flow and lean fuel trim corrections can result in spark knock/detonation and lack of power concerns at WOT and high loads.
How do your fuel trims look? Cleaned the MAF lately?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM

mt goat, my injectors are 305 cc as I recall (Supra TT).

I've been driving it since 3/1/10. But the CEL has disappeared. I finally had a chance to hook up my OBDII today. The short-term fuel trim was ~ -2, and long term was ~ 14. However, after about 5-10 minutes of trending, I would get a "serial interrupt" on the OBDII read out screen, and the measurements would stop. I would have to close the program and restart to start reading again. I have not had that problem before.

I'm thankful to have the truck running, but I am still uncertain about not having the FTC1 installed. I talked to Split Second. They said it is unusual, but it is possible the FTC1 may be bad. I am sending it back for bench testing and repair if need be.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM

Well, I've been driving it about 10 days with no FTC1. I'm getting no CEL codes. I don't get it. I'm running Supra injectors and MAF sensor ... and no codes.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM

ur driving with supra injectors on the stock computer? wow. Id say u gotta start over with the ftc. Double/triple check all ur wires unless you have a plug n play harness- which i dont think u do. All it takes is for a loose connection somewhere in the splicing- i had that same prob on my old 03 supercharged tacoma.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Does someone make a plug-n-play harness for the FTC1?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM

have u called gadget / urd?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Does someone make a plug-n-play harness for the FTC1?
URD has great instructions, if you can solder you can do it.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

I have sent a couple of emails over the past 2 weeks asking Gadget/URD for advice, but he/they haven't responded. In the past they provided very quick in responses (~ 1 day) on numerous occasions. But now ... perhaps they've changed their policy?

I'd sure like to find someone locally (West Palm Beach) who can tune the FTC on a dyno.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

I have sent a couple of emails over the past 2 weeks asking Gadget/URD for advice, but he/they haven't responded. In the past they provided very quick in responses (~ 1 day) on numerous occasions. But now ... perhaps they've changed their policy?
I'd try again, sometimes they get lost or buried. Don't they still have a phone?