Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front End Noise, My Plan - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Front End Noise, My Plan - Thoughts?

My 4Runner just turned 191k and this issue has gotten worse. I do a lot of my own work, but used a shop at home. My old shop at home (recently moved for school away from a garage) and I have had our ups and downs over the years. Everything from botched axle seals to bad tail pipe welding, it always seems to be something with them.

Before I left, I took the truck in to them with this front end noise and of course they couldn't find it. I don't have a reputable shop here yet to take it to yet so I figured I'd start here. The noise is a constant squeaking sound when the truck is moving at all from both front wheels. The passenger side started and now the driver side has since followed. Strangely, my front tires are wearing faster than the rear ones, so something's up. I've almost convinced myself that the problem is actually a combination of problems:

1) Busted Boots - I have the Revtek spacer kit on my 4R and this problem is a common one, so with mixed feelings I installed a Diff Drop, but didn't have time to do the CVs before I left. As it sits, the truck has two busted boots.

2) Revtek Kit - It kind of sucks and probably should be axed for new coilovers up front. It's worn out my shocks and stressed the CVs for too long. I've replaced CVs twice already.

3) Suspension - The truck has 191k miles. I have a good feeling that new shocks and springs up front would make her pretty happy. I had planned on eventually upgrading the front end to 881's and OME 90004 sport shocks.

4) Ball Joints - I'm almost sure this is actually what's squeaking, caused by the stress of the other three.

So here's the plan...
1) New Ball Joints - U&L
2) New CV axles w/Boot Slide Mod
3) New 881's & 90004 Sport Shocks

Here's my problem though, I can't afford to do all of this right now. So that raises a few questions:

1) I know the consequences of breaking a ball joint while driving. Shouldn't that be priority #1?
2) Do I need to swap these CVs out at the same time? Can I get away with leaving them in there again?
- I had planned on using Toyota CVs to hopefully curb this once and for all. Is that overkill?
3) With the tire wear problem, isn't it probable that all of this together = irregular tire wear?

I think I'm on the right track here, but if not, feel free to correct me. I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading,
Rob
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd do the lower ball joints first. They are the weak link and the uppers seem to hold up quite a bit longer.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM

I just recently did my CVs and BJs. Prior to the job, every time I would hit a crack going roughly 15mph I would hear a squawk. My driver side boot was torn but I think it echoed towards the pass. side as well. I think it's the CVs, the joint inside is now "hear able." However like I said I replaced the CVs and BJs and the sqwaking went away.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm planning on doing the ball joints and CVs next week and going from there. Hopefully some new coilovers are in my future...