Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get them from?

Thanks for the quick pics!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:08 PM

Looks good, I just did my lights, I did the Nighthawks. What a huge differance, 99 4Runner.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 PM

yes nighthawks would also be an excellent choice for on the cheap. They are available at walmart IIRC. How much did you spend on yours?

The reverse lights are actually cheapo fog lights that I bought at Harbor Freight. They were like $20 or something. I had already run 3 hots from my new fuse box to the rear panel to accomodate some 12V outlets so....

I just took a hot, put a relay underneath the taillight lens, tapped the reverse light wire for the "switch" part of the relay, made a ground strap, attached the hot for the lights and I was off and running. These are really nice because they shine a lot of light low and off to the sides a bit, so I can see things backing up at night like curbs, etc. Its plenty of light to see through the tinted windows, which was my original intention.

MJ

Last edited by menko; 02-10-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

sorry, i meant where did you get your headlight bulbs from.

I cant find a reputable manufacturer who makes a quality bulb in a higher wattage than 55/60
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Headlight bulbs ordered from danielsternlighting.com Just call him or email Daniel Stern and tell him what you want. He'll hook you up and he's a good resource. He distributes sylvania, wagner and other brands so he can get stuff you can't buy over-the-counter at a parts place.

MJ
Old 02-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

not to create any kind of battle b/w the 2. but this is what i got from daniel stern

> I need more output in my headlamps. Ihave recenly purchased a harness
> from http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...s.shtml#SGtoSP

3rd-world trash, not worth risking your life on. Send it back or throw it
out, either leave the stock (inadequate) wiring in place or buy a quality
relay setup (from me or from someone else) but entrusting your safety to
this poor-quality harness is foolhardy.

> and need a new headlight bulb to use.

Need to know your vehicle's make-model-year and the type of headlamps
you're running.

Just by his response, I do not believe him. I guess this post is just to expose his unprofessionalism. I still have faith in rogers harness and will continue with my order
Old 02-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Matt I'm surprised you had that experience, since myself and many others in several automotive circles (lots of old time mopar racers and restoration) and never had a bad experience. In fact, he's always had a lot of experience and expertise in helping find good solutions to all sort of problems. I am totally happy with the harness and bulbs I got, and the technical support has always been top notch.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Menko,

Im thinking he was a little perturbed b/c i did not purchase a harness from him. IM sure they do the same thing, but I have bought from 4crawler before and I am more than satisfied with him. I just did not like his lack of professionalism. Oh well. He pointed me to some 75/65 bulbs though from http://www.mckeige.com/
Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 PM

Ah good, the osram bulbs are what I have. I'm sure they'll work out well. Although I don't remember spending that much for the bulb. I think when I got it from Stern it was $19-$21 range.

MJ

Last edited by menko; 02-11-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by menko
Ah good, the osram bulbs are what I have. I'm sure they'll work out well. Although I don't remember spending that much for the bulb. I think when I got it from Stern it was $19-$21 range.

MJ
he said he wont have them in stock for a while
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Ahh...that's a pickle! Well maybe by the time you install the harness, they'll be back in stock. That would give you a better measure of which upgrade helped more

just trying to find the silver lining?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by menko
Ahh...that's a pickle! Well maybe by the time you install the harness, they'll be back in stock. That would give you a better measure of which upgrade helped more

just trying to find the silver lining?
LOL...yea im not too worried about it right now. Ive got a lot of other things goin on, im not sure if ill have time to plug it in.LOL

Thanks for all of your help Menko!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 PM

no worries at all, glad it worked for you.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:45 PM

Just was wondering what you did with your old headlights. If you don't want them, I have a friend who needs a left one, but he will probably take both, hit me up on a PM if you are looking to get rid of them.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
Menko,

Im thinking he was a little perturbed b/c i did not purchase a harness from him...Oh well. He pointed me to some 75/65 bulbs though from http://www.mckeige.com/
Now, Matt, you know that's not so. You posted the first e-mail I sent you, which included my explicit statement that you can get a good harness from me or someone else. But, for some reason (embarrassment...?) you chose not to post the second e-mail I sent you. Here, in the interest of complete and accurate reporting, is the second e-mail I sent you:

=====
> a 1996 Toyota 4runner. It uses H4 Bulbs.

The best bulb to install in a '96 4Runner is the German-made Osram 70/65w
(2000/1300 lumen) bulb number 64205. I'll have 'em back in stock in a
couple weeks; McKeige has 'em in stock right now, http://www.mckeige.com/

> Thanks

You're welcome. I'm happy to give free *correct* advice to everyone who
asks, even in those situations when the chances of my making a sale are
slim or none. Sometimes, my policy of giving accurate advice without
sugar-coating or âsskissing means telling someone they made a poor choice
of product. When I have to do so, I always make it explicitly clear that I
am not trying to generate a sale. I am not the only one in the world who
sells good lighting equipment. I can point you to at least three other
sources of quality relay components, beside myself, and I regularly do so
when asked. For me, a big part of being professional is putting truth and
accuracy ahead of profit.

Now, I have a question for you: Are you going to be honest and fair and
post *this* e-mail to YotaTech, too?

Best regards,

-Stern

=====

I have never apologized, and will not apologize now, for telling the facts as they are instead of the hype as some vendors and buyers would like for them to be. That means Sylvania's Silverstar bulbs, "HID kits" of any kind, and PIAA's entire lineup of scam products, amongst other items, all get called junk, and I provide the science—the facts—to back it up. If you consider that "unprofessional", then that is a hat I will wear proudly, for it has served me and my customers very well for many years. Some people think I'm a jerk for it, and that's OK. My customers aren't looking for a charming dinner companion to hang out with, they're looking for (and get!) lighting equipment that improves their safety over the long haul, without compromise and without cost-cutting measures such as sourcing from "developing" countries.

Truthfully, I do not want the custom of those who prefer buttkissing and sugarcoating and hype to facts and science, or who feel the measure of a product is the fanciness of the box it comes in, or who are seeking equipment that gives their car a particular appearance without regard for performance. There are enough vendors catering to that crowd. Those who are of that mindset have plenty of options when it's time to go shopping. Nor am I impugning Roger's bona fides; I know he's a major contributor to this forum, I have it on good authority that he's a heck of a nice guy, and I'm sure he's a competent, capable and knowledgeable engineer. Given that, I am not sure why he's selling the particular wiring harnesses he's chosen to sell, but I am sure i would never trust my life to such a harness, regardless of who sold it.

I am and will remain at the service of those who want a no-BS approach.

And Matt, just as a final note, to poke the last hole in your creative notion of my being perturbed at having not sold a harness to you, here are two of those other quality sources I told you I would happily provide.

OJ Rallye Automotive, ojrallye@excel.net , 920-893-2531
Susquehanna Motorsports, 610-944-3233

Onward and upward,

-Stern

Last edited by Strålkastari; 02-11-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

have you ever used the 4crawler harness? how do you know its bs? It seemed as if you wre offended by me purchasing the harness somewhere else. Is that the reason you said it was trash?

Last edited by Localmotion; 02-11-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
have you ever used the 4crawler harness? how do you know its bs? It seemed as if you wre offended by me purchasing the harness somewhere else. Is that the reason you said it was trash?
Erm...Matt, I know you read my first e-mail to you, because you posted it here on this forum. Including the part where I said you could get good harness equipment from me or someone else. Think about it: If I were peeved you hadn't bought a harness from me, d'you think I would have said that? Of course not. Instead, would've gone into a sales pitch and maybe quoted you a price on a harness from me, or tried to claim that I'm the only source for good harnesses.

As for the 4crawler harness, yep, I have held it in my hands, tested it on my bench (intact and dissected) and powered lights with it in an actual truck. I'm not just guessing or makin' stuff up.

If build and materials quality didn't matter, you could drive a Hyundai or Kia instead of a Toyota, pocket the cash difference and eat gourmet dinners for a year. But y'know what? Build and materials quality matter. And that's why the Taiwanese yellow-wrap harnesses sold by numerous vendors don't make the grade. Not because this guy sold 'em or that guy didn't.

Last edited by Strålkastari; 02-11-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone used the Phillips Crystal Vision H4 60/55W bulbs? How does it compare with Sylvania's?

It's currently on my truck. I do get white light, way better than the PIAA Super Whites that I was using previously. But I don't know if I can get better 60/55W bulbs than the Phillips Crystal Vision.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strålkastari
As for the 4crawler harness, yep, I have held it in my hands, tested it on my bench (intact and dissected) and powered lights with it in an actual truck. I'm not just guessing or makin' stuff up.

If build and materials quality didn't matter, you could drive a Hyundai or Kia instead of a Toyota, pocket the cash difference and eat gourmet dinners for a year. But y'know what? Build and materials quality matter. And that's why the Taiwanese yellow-wrap harnesses sold by numerous vendors don't make the grade. Not because this guy sold 'em or that guy didn't.
not to start a fight, just curious here...

but could you compare your harness to 4crawler's? what are the specific differences between the two, what makes yours better? what exactly does your kit include (pictures maybe?) ?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
could you compare your harness to 4crawler's? what are the specific differences between the two
Here's what I supply: Bosch or Hella 40A sealed relays made in America or Germany, with matching Bosch or Hella relay holder/terminal blocks; Bosch or Hella sealed ATO fuseholders with 10-gauge wire and terminals terneplated for corrosion resistance. AMP American-made relay and PTO terminals, also terneplated for corrosion resistance. Hella headlamp sockets with phosphor-bronze claws and contacts for corrosion resistance. All equipment is specifically designed to accept up to 10ga wire; relays are SPST dual-87 types to avoid having to connect two wires to one terminal or provide a problematic wye connection in the harness.

Pictures? Well, sure, if you like, though there's not much to see. Until you have 'em three inches from your scrutineering face, there's not much externally visible difference between an American AMP terminal and a Taiwanese no-name item. Likewise, a name-brand heavy-duty relay with Silver-inlaid contacts and a phenolic case looks very much like a generic offshore item in a thermoplastic case. And so on and so forth.

I ship in plain brown boxes, too...nothin' fancy to see there, either.

Good question. Thanks for asking it. Got more specific questions, shoot me an e-mail; I can't keep up with all threads on all forums. And keep the shiny side up!

Quick Reply: finally did my 99+ HL mod