Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Final Buildup of '01 4runner Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Buildup of '01 4runner Sport

Ok, here are my current pics, I am about half way through of my current buildup of my 2001 3rd gen 4runner.Check THIS ALBUM for my current progress. 65k miles, SR5 model, 3" total suspension lift, 16x8 procomp rims, and 265/75/16 BFG ATs installed, SS Roll Bar In, Magnaflow exhaust and tip done. Seat covers done, husky liners done, bought the matching Nextel Phone as you can see in the pics, Brush guards, PIAA lights, shackle hangers, panhard drop bar, clear corners all done. Audio/Video system done. I am slowly but surely getting there on this truck.
In the pics you can also see my new toy, the '06 f250, this is to haul all my other stuff around with.
All I have left on this truck is
-Sliders (dont know what I'm doing yet at all)
-A Locker (check my DD locker thread)
-Fix Body damage from accident, and replace various trim pieces
-Swap out 4Runner badging with Hi-Lux Surf Badging(in pics, maybe)
-Freeway Baster Horn (not 100% set, may go with the Hella Instead)
-Detail the entire thing
-1 inch body lift
-32 or 32 x 12.50 x 16 (Something, not too many choices out there for this size in tires)

I hope to finish this all by summer, let me know what you think so far, I have been holding out to post my progress pics. Also if you think of anything else for me to throw money at on this, let me know too. Until then, I look forward to your comments, and suggestions. I hope to be finished by the spring on everything. Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by JHupp; 02-02-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Nice... As a suggestion, I really like the Jaos wing that Jason B. sells b/c it looks like the 4th gen wing and much better than the stock one IMO.

I think you also need an Ipod adapter b/c the sound quality would be much better than an FM transmitter.

Otherwise, clean truck. I'm sure it'll look good w/ the roll bar.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM

Thanks!!! I have an older Alpine Head Unit, 9823 which was made before the iPod adapter.The only time I ever have a problem with the iTrip is when someone else has one and they are near me. But I usually just crank some AC/DC, and they lower theirs. As for the Jaos wings, I like them a lot, they are very hot, but by the time I get done painting it, and have it isntalled it is like $500 project, for just a wing. The roll bar powdercoated, and shipped didnt even cost that. Jaos stuff is very nice, but very expensive, especially for someone like me who destroys stuff pretty quick. Ohh, and almost forgot, I also have the to install the kill TRAC switch.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jason, great looking rig you built so far, can't wait to see that thing all finished. Procomps and BFGs look awesome, brushguard, PIAAs, fit right in. What lift did you end up going with to get a full 3 inches?

Can't wait to get those sport rims from you and post some pics too (not sure if I am going OEM size or P265/75R16s......I'd definately go bigger if it wasn't such a big hit to gas mileage and passing power).
Old 01-23-2006, 03:02 PM

3inch OME springs in the back, and 2 1/2" daystars with top outspacers in the front. Thanks, Ill get those rims packaged up this week, thanks again,
Jason
Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 PM

damn, forgot the horn upgrade too, not sure about the freeway blaster or the hella yet though, I'm still combing through posts from way back to decide.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:36 PM

how your CVs doing up front? i'm about to go with the Daystar kit. So you did the Daystar kit and then another topout on top of the original topout from daystar? Rig looks good though.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Man that looks good!!!! Really nice work!!!

One question for you, do you have the part # off the hilux surf emblem... I just got one and only half the part # was on the package ( Ebay buy ) and was wondering if its a toyota emblem or not...

cheers
Bob
Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM

yeah, I was wondering about that, mine came in a Toyota sleeve also, but the part # was gone. I was thinking it was because the part is most liekly availible in the states, but they dont want you to order it because it is less than in the auctions. Or it may not be true JDM, either way, the adhsive looks very strong, and the emblem appears to be of high quality
The daystar kit was done in conjuction with a 1/2" top out spacer. If you search there is a link. I always thought that the day start kit was two .75" spacers, w/ the stock(very thin) top out. However, I did not perform this myself, I ordered the daystar kit, and the coils, and had meenekie drop them all in , they did it for $50 extra because they replaced the shocks to the Billsteins at the time. I am not too familiar with the setup, that is just what I ordered. My daystar front kit came with 2 .75" poly spacers and studs only.
Thanks for all of compliments. I hope to have this truck finished soon, and I will make an actual profile. Any preference on freeway blasters or hellas??????
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good bro... I like how you left the headlight things off on the brush guard.. I was debating whether to get one of those and set it up like that or try to retrofit a tacoma safari...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHupp
Thanks!!! I have an older Alpine Head Unit, 9823 which was made before the iPod adapter.
Check this item out for that problem. http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapt...alp-ai-35m.html
Both Bob and I run that off our Alpine headunits. You can read a write up Bob did here: http://www.4runners.org/articles/pie

If your headunit has a aux. setting, it should work.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:25 AM

grimpy, order the WAAG center protector. I had a tough time finding it it, but I beleieve I ordered it from autoanything.com It is always shown on an explorer in the pictures on sites, and it looks really weird, when you order it for a 4runner it comes one of 2 ways from WAAG, and it seems completely random, because one of my friends ordered it the same time I did, and asked for the same exact thing. Below is the other, random, way it comes.
As for the ipod adapter. I have an aucillary in, and I will probably end up going with a headphone jack to 2 rca plugs. The link above is broken, but thanks for the info.

^^^ The alternate WAAG center protector, which I happen to like better.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

ah, broken link. heres the working link, even though you mentioned using the headphone jack: http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...lp-ai-35m.html
Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by grimpy
Looks good bro... I like how you left the headlight things off on the brush guard.. I was debating whether to get one of those and set it up like that or try to retrofit a tacoma safari...
That looks sweet, mines a three piece and it just convinced me to take of the parts over the headlights.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
grimpy, order the WAAG center protector. I had a tough time finding it it, but I beleieve I ordered it from autoanything.com It is always shown on an explorer in the pictures on sites, and it looks really weird, when you order it for a 4runner it comes one of 2 ways from WAAG, and it seems completely random, because one of my friends ordered it the same time I did, and asked for the same exact thing. Below is the other, random, way it comes.

^^^ The alternate WAAG center protector, which I happen to like better.
Sweet bro... I already ordered the taco safari so if it doesn't work out, I will be sure to take a look at the WAAG... Do you know if they are both the same PN? I was looking at the gorhino step one also...
Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by FUZION
That looks sweet, mines a three piece and it just convinced me to take of the parts over the headlights.
I never had the headlight guards to begin with, although it looks like the holes are there for them, I'm wondering if I buy a set will they bolt right in. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. As for the PNs, I am told that the new style is the one I have, I guess at the time I ordered it, like a year ago, they were depleting old stock, the one pictured on the black runner, and chaning to the new one, which makes sense if it the headlight guards just bolt off because they dont have to make 2 different models. I really really really wanted the one on the black runner above, so if anyone has one, I would swap. But I guess I might just stick with the one I have if I can bolt on the headlight gurads, I change my mind tooooo damn much, this is what my g/f has done to me, either way, thanks for the compliments, Ill be sure to post more pics when it is completed, was thinking about going with lockers, but in 4 wheel low, the ATRAC works extremely good for me, I was stuck in mud, and it seems to do a good job at getting power to the wheels that slip even though I can't get as much power as I would like, not sure if this has been debated, but I dont want to go messing with the differentials, I'm an ameatuer at that.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:55 PM

not to be too much of a girl, but, I must say, I havent got any compliments on the addition I just put on my house over the garge, or my coloumn work in the front, hahahahaha, I really sound like my g/f with all the nagging so I wont push it.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM

awesome, the DD thread is going good, went wheeling for the first time ever this weekend with TTORA NJ in atsion, so my list changed a little. I was very dissapointed with the ATs performance in the sandy soil, and mud, the thornbirds should do the trick though. Locker added also, and a body lift to fit the 31x12.50 thornbirds, as usual, any suggestions, let me know.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:17 PM

thornbirds are about the worst tire you could ever get.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by justinh
thornbirds are about the worst tire you could ever get.
So Ive been hearing. My choice was either those or the BFG Mud Terrain's. I really liked the look of the thornbirds, and the whole 3 stage lug thing seemed very nice for highway use. I may reconsider though.

Quick Reply: Final Buildup of '01 4runner Sport