Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Feeler: 3.4L TURBO manifold group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilmer,

Contact me on the VW SMT issue i have seen them work for VW's alot, VW is my second biggest customer base behind toyota, and thats only because i own 3 Toyota vehicles and lovem to death...altho i think im gonna get a AUDI 4000 and swap the I5 from teh turbo quattro into it

Also the T3 turbo would not suit the 5vz as a single turbo so well due to how tiny it is...the ct26 is a good call by node because those turbos last a long time (thank you toyota) and tey dont cost much at all for a used one!

To the rest of the guys here...yes i would reocmmend no higher then 250-265 at the most on stock fuel system. Everyday im looking for new products to help everyone out and at a cheaper price to! But thats for the 5vz keep that in mind the 3vz-e s something different right now...
Old 12-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Cool

I'll add another reason to add extra injectors to a 3vz-e.
3vz-e's are not sequential fuel injection. They batch fire 2 injectors at a time.

Trust me for having watched so many honda & 3s-fe turbo projects fail. It's not *nessicerily* a problem, but it can lead to uneven fueling under certian conditions if not addressed in some way. (Be that simple overfueling, or whatever other options like extra injectors, or new management - whatever. I like extra injectors.)
Old 12-25-2005, 10:57 PM

get a smt6 put a 7th injector on there...help things out
Old 01-01-2006, 11:43 AM

2006 bump Happy New Years...any updates
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasy2k
2006 bump Happy New Years...any updates
We're all waiting with baited breath.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:45 PM

UPDATE:

Sorry for being slow about the updates but a lot has been going on. I have been testing the smaller CT-26 compressor with the large A/R supra MKIII housing. The turbo is a VERY good combination for towing. Full boost takes about 1/3 of a second (usually less time than it takes to open the throttle all the way) and the turbo holds 5 all the way to fuel cut. I have also tested with 7 and 8 psi with good results. Keep in mind the test rig is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE, I am sitll awaiting a 3.0L truck to build a prototype for the older motor.

Pics and final price as soon as we finish the JIG. Also, another little tid bit of info. We are going to have these available in stainless aswell Happy new year!

I also have a T3/T4 that I plan to test with soon. That turbo would require an external wastegate so that setup would cost a bit more for you guys but it would allow lots more upgrade possibilities.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by node
UPDATE:

Sorry for being slow about the updates but a lot has been going on. I have been testing the smaller CT-26 compressor with the large A/R supra MKIII housing. The turbo is a VERY good combination for towing. Full boost takes about 1/3 of a second (usually less time than it takes to open the throttle all the way) and the turbo holds 5 all the way to fuel cut. I have also tested with 7 and 8 psi with good results. Keep in mind the test rig is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE, I am sitll awaiting a 3.0L truck to build a prototype for the older motor.

Pics and final price as soon as we finish the JIG. Also, another little tid bit of info. We are going to have these available in stainless aswell Happy new year!

I also have a T3/T4 that I plan to test with soon. That turbo would require an external wastegate so that setup would cost a bit more for you guys but it would allow lots more upgrade possibilities.
Excellent!

So, what's your guess for HP numbers with that set up (at 5, 7, and 8 PSI), considering that's what I'll be doing!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM

Cool

That was Tony Leungs's stock 3.0L 1mz-fe on the same Mark3 Supra CT-26 slightly lean on an A541-E transmission (78% drivetrain loss) at 10psi.
The turbo Camry was strapped on the dyno and a couple of passes were made. For the first run, the fuel curve was horrible and the Camry pulled 241 WHP and 240 lb-ft. The air/fuel ratio was very lean and was hitting up to 14.2:1 A/F after 5000RPM (Graph not shown).
After tuning the SAFC, the air/fuel was much better across the powerband. However, the air/fuel was still lean at 13.2:1 A/F. The stock injectors were at 100% duty cycle (stock injectors are 280cc/min) The SAFC tuning managed to pick up an extra 19 WHP.
5vz has more displacement, car v6's have better cams I think. (We'll find out with Weasy!) Oughta be kinda even.

His 1mz is making peak horsepower @ 5500rpm, so you guys should be making peak horsepower @ 5500rpm. The 7m-gte engines with higher rpm oriented cams / heads also make peak horsepower around 5500rpm.

The CT-26 is a lot more effecient & moves more air than the M62 eaton the TRD chargers are designed after. (I think they're based off m62's, I forget, I don't do truck's enough, I know the 3.0L's are.)

So judging by the other engines, & the turbo's. I'd say about 330bhp. I don't know how ineffecient truck transmissions are, but say around 250whp???
That sounds right for 5-6 psi on the car engines off the supra ct-26. Sounds right to me.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM

You hit it right on the head. The smaller CT-26 compressor flows right around that. The larger "A" compressor maxes out just beyond 300 hp. Thats simply the volume flow potential of the turbos at the given PSI. With the kit set at 7 psi you would be looking at around 280 crank HP intercooled on the 3.4L. With the turbo set at 5 psi you would expect ~250 hp at the crank non intercooled. Given the low charge temps you will be dealing with compaired to the supercharger these turbo systems should proove to be very reliable.

The test engine has seen boost levels as high as 10 psi with the stock injectors a few times (OOPS) but still shows perfect compression and no signs of detonation. I dont reccomend levels that high since there simply is not enough fuel capacity to handle it but this shows that the stock ECU is extremely good at knock detection and suppression.

With the intercooler I have been running 8 psi daily for over a week now on this perticular rig and the engine has performed flawlessly. You guys should NOT exceed 8 psi with the stock fuel system at any time. While I have only been testing the new 3.4L rig for a week, I have also been running a twin turbo setup 5VZ-FE for nearly 9 months. The twin turbo rig has seen 8 psi daily with some VERY hard driving. It was run on a stock fuel setup for almost 8 months with no problems whatsoever I added some fuel control just last month. So, it serves as proof that you can run a turbo charger (or two) at higher boost levels than the supercharger without touching the fuel system given adiquate charge cooling.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by node
So, it serves as proof that you can run a turbo charger (or two) at higher boost levels than the supercharger without touching the fuel system given adiquate charge cooling.
This is a very important disctinction to make because the design of a roots blower does not lend itself to any type of intercooler while it is quite easy to add with turbos and centrifical superchargers (which are basically a gear driven turbo). It also makes perfect sense that the lower the charge temp (via an intercooler), the more HP you will make (the aquamist system serves this purpose when using the roots blowers). Given all this, I am not the least bit surprised that you were able to get it to 8 psi with an intercooled turbo (or two) and still running with the stock ECU as long as you don't run lean on the top end.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-03-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you considering getting coating done (like Jamie) I wanted to note that HPC was cheaper than Jet-Hot when I got my headers done. And I found HPC's customer service to be better than Jet-Hot. JH basically laughed at me when it came to matching HPC's price, and it wasn't even that much of a difference. Also, you can have your part drop-shipped to them, taking advantage of this sweet offer:

Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 AM

Node...i gotta say it
Wtach your injector duty cycles...I am going to pick up a duty cycle moniter shortly and be testing my setup in the future to see what 8psi does to stockers....i still think its way to much...
Denser air = more airflow = more fuel needed so its even worse

just like to keep that in everyones heads
Old 01-03-2006, 12:12 PM

Give me a Call back NODE when you can, I live an hour from YOU! I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON THE DAY OF "THE TURBO 4runner"!!

I WOULD LOVE TO SPANK all the 4.8is X5's in my Town!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by slick858

I WOULD LOVE TO SPANK all the 4.8is X5's in my Town!
that would be a feat, those are not slow.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 PM

Cool

Eh I'm with Weasy. I wouldn't push your luck 2 far node. If it were me, raise fuel pressure so you can drive it around now, but get fuel upgrades done asap. I may not have seen lots of boosted 5vz-fe's, but there have been pleanty of 1mz-fe's that have better pistons, making the same power i'd estimate you in that have toasted a piston/ringland/ring. And they have about the exact same stock fuel system also.
I know your'e fine now, but I think you're on borrowed time. Scarey I know.

I'm just trying to save you $480 worth of new pistons & $50 for a great set of rings!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Bump....how is this going?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:07 AM
tc
Contributing Member

No activity in 6 days SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

Need an update! Maybe some dyno curves ..... mmmmmmm LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Node has been very busy with his current customer projects and is starting school soon so your probably going to have to wait a bit longer Give it time....it will be worth it in the end!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Node has been very busy with his current customer projects and is starting school soon so your probably going to have to wait a bit longer Give it time....it will be worth it in the end!
I can't do anything until spring even if I wanted to (sucks to work in -20 C).
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM

hehe its been pritty warm up here right now thankfully as my shop has no heat nor fully insulated yet

Quick Reply: Feeler: 3.4L TURBO manifold group buy?