Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Extending battery cabels??? help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extending battery cabels??? help??

so yesterday my battery completely eats the dust and cant be charged at all in a car stereo places lot. so i go buy a new optima yellow top and toss it in. i come to find that the cabels dont fit so i bought some mounts that screwed into the side posts so i could drive home and untill i can get this fixed. i know its bad to run the big guns off the side terminals but out of 3 auto parts stores none of them had battery cable extentions. they all wanted to just sell me new cables which i dont wanna have to deal with installing the whole deal. anyone know where or how an easy way to extend the cables about an inch and a half?? thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dexter
so yesterday my battery completely eats the dust and cant be charged at all in a car stereo places lot. so i go buy a new optima yellow top and toss it in. i come to find that the cabels dont fit so i bought some mounts that screwed into the side posts so i could drive home and untill i can get this fixed. i know its bad to run the big guns off the side terminals but out of 3 auto parts stores none of them had battery cable extentions. they all wanted to just sell me new cables which i dont wanna have to deal with installing the whole deal. anyone know where or how an easy way to extend the cables about an inch and a half?? thanks
You can change the battery cables out you just have to trace the connections.
I would check with a car stereo place they may do the wiring for for you but it will probably cost a bit.

I redid mine it just took time to figure out where everything hooked up.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=934rnr]You can change the battery cables out you just have to trace the connections.
I would check with a car stereo place they may do the wiring for for you but it will probably cost a bit.

I redid mine it just took time to figure out where everything hooked up.[QUOTE]

wow, what are all those cables and connections for?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:06 PM

When i did mine i had the same problem. I took the base plate out from under the battery and it worked fine with a spacer on top so the bracket tightens down proper. i have heard it is not to hard to switch the cables out either good luck
Old 02-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a few extra grounds in to make a sort of grounding web effect.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I had that same problem in my 97. I ended up unhooking the positive wire loom from the body, it gave me just enough length. Also, I lenghtened the (undersized) body ground to the fender.

I used a wood block to space the battery and the holder, to keep it in place. One morning, I was making a turn, and my car stalled. No lights, no radio, no nothing. My Positive terminal had hit my battery hold down as it shifted and shorted and arc'd big time. I had to buy one of those universal battery hold downs and run one of the hooks through a hole between the wheel well, and the bumper. Kinda ghetto, but it holds great!

Later on, I'll have a new battery tray made and 1/0 gauge wiring installed. Of course, this comes after my alternator and dual battery setup for the 4 new subs I hope to get.