Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine Failure - Blew A Rod 2001 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20014runner
I accelerate hard on straight aways pushing 100mph, revving at times around 5,000 rpm's.

There is the problem.

Driving at high speeds in a SUV is noit wise if there are others around. IF anything happens at that speed (tire blowout) you become a 5000lb missle aimed at innocent people. The suspension, tires etc were not designed for Autobahn driving.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
There is the problem.

Driving at high speeds in a SUV is noit wise if there are others around. IF anything happens at that speed (tire blowout) you become a 5000lb missle aimed at innocent people. The suspension, tires etc were not designed for Autobahn driving.
EXACTLY........................ thinking of going 100 even if alone on a public road is less than mature and really just f'ing stupid esp in a suv. hope your next motor blows up as well.. maybe it will save some lives
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM

I'll agree that it is unsafe at times (condition of roads, traffic, ect.) but every now and a few months you got to give it to her. Cant be scared of that skinny pedal. But seriously, anytime i get on the highway I usually keep it under 75 and wont let it rev out over 3 grand getting there.

Last edited by deines97runnah; 04-09-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM

Okay, let's not get carried away with the whole 100mph thing. He was dumb, okay. Let's save that topic for another thread.

I'd really like to find out why the engine blew. I can't see irregular oil changes being the cause of the engine blowing up.

Last edited by cackalak han; 04-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

I wont say that the whole 100mph contributed to the engine blowing.. you need to understand that your motor at this time is only running at like 3500 rpm or 4000 rpm.. havent done 100 in my 4 runner, but have done 90 a few times. attributing to the whole safety thing i think if you have the experience to do so then go ahead, just make sure you are willing to take your life before someone else's, your the one being stupid not them..
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM

sounds like he ragged the thing out.. he is probably one of those guys that stomps the gas in neutral and slams it into gear just so he can get his tires to squeal.. imo
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM

How can you expect to have a 5000 lbs suv rev out to 5 grand (more times than is necassary) an expect it to not throw a rod? IMo: Cant make something do what it isnt meant to do, and expect it to last.

Last edited by deines97runnah; 04-09-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM

i agree with you 4rkidd. If you have experience do so, not when there are pedestrians everywhere tho. But the 100 mph its not the rpms being there its how he got there. He just put it to the floor and maxed out the gear, he didtn work his way up. Everyonce in a while thats fine but you cant drive it like that everyday. Like i said before, go back to hondas
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Maj

Please clarify your statement:

...and thought originally that water might have gone thru to the engine and caused hydro-lock.

Perhaps you did damage a bearing and it just took a while for it to fail completely. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM

I don't think 5000rpm regularly should harm a motor nor should driving at high speed. If there is good oil in it and its in good repair the motor should be able to take it especially a Toyota.

I think it is more likely it was not taken care of properly. And that was the cause and not the way it was driven. That and getting water in it

Last edited by Taro; 04-09-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 AM

how would water get in the motor aside from condensation ( which on a good highway run will burn this all out)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM

he said he hydro-locked it.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM

I think you guys are feeding an Internet troll....
Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I used to rev my mustang to 6800 rpm daily...with occasional late night 150mph pulls, but that car had all forged internals, race bearings, big cams, over sized valves, headers, ported heads, 12.5:1 compression and run on Amsoil or Royal Purple Synthetic...bottom line is the car was built for it and had little air drag at 100 mph (100 felt no different than 70 other than rpm change)

I wouldn't dream of treating my 4Runner with 150k miles that way...it would be moronic of me to do so...it sees 4k rpm when passing or getting up freeway hills and the rest of its life is spent cruising because thats what it was made for.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
I think you guys are feeding an Internet troll....
I agree. Especially since he has only posted one time, never replied and has nothing in his sig..... Probably a Jeep owner....
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Response to my Engine failure

Hi guys. I was checking my email daily to see if I got any response from YotaTech members but now I know that I have to check the website. I also have a Infinity Q45 touring and anytime there is a response the Nissan website just emails me...
Thanks everyone for your understanding and great feedback. Boy, did I get hammered about my "need for speed". Seriously, 100 mph is not that fast, not on straight aways on an empty road with guard rails. I initially "goose" the motor and then slowly let off gently cruising it to 100mph. I completely understand about possibly hurting other people and would do these speeds in a virtual "as far as the eye can see" conditions.
I read all the posts and forgot what the initial thread was: engine failure!
If you really check/investigate thru the internet, there have been a hand full of cases of engine failure on the 3rd generation 4Runners. One thread stated that he had 42,000 miles on a 4Runner sport and then it blew a rod. Usually the posts state that they were real good about the maintenance. You can't believe how disheartining it is when your "baby" completely blows.
It puts a lump in your throat, especially when you see it sitting in your driveway with no motor in it. She's a beauty, long live 3rd generation 4Runners, definately the baddest looking 4Runner. The new generation is getting all the attention now and all the press.
What I meant about the hydrolocking is that with the Aem intake there is the filter in front of it and if it got wet when I hit a large puddle, the water could have hit the intake and went straight into the motor. The day before it was downpouring all day. The next morning I drove off and within 10 minutes the engine blew. Again, most likely, not the problem. Since I have never had a problem with a Toyota, I was in "denial" about here the slight tapping of my motor at times at various speeds. The Japanese motor idea sounds good, but how can you verify the miles on the motor they claim? Rebuilding is just to expensive, so I will buy a used 50,000k-60,000 motor from the salvage yard. You can verify the miles using Carfax among other things. A good salvage company will "fog the motor" and place it on the shelf.
You guys rock, great website, fantastic members.
ps.North Carolina guy, no hard feelings
Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Good luck with your search and sorry about suggesting you were a troll
Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 AM

No problem Marcus!
I am gonna post a new thread about the durability of the 3.4liter in regards to the types of use of this suv and adding a TRD supercharger
Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

where do i start....?

Yo,
sorry for your loss on your 01'.... About the question of "Hydro locking" you are correct in the fact that
water in the cumbustion chamber can = major damage as water can not be compressed (at all) your valves will "compress" before water will compress. Yea so if excessive water entred your engine that WOULD BE a valid concern..

Now don't take this the wrong way yet in regards to the "engine failure", i have to say Toyotas are very tough yet this engine was designed for high levels of LOW to MID range torque/power for utility, off roading and some towing. YET, high RPM Driving? YIKES ....
My god you were "cranking on" a 135,000 mile engine at 5000 + RPM (which is Close to redline) on conventional oil and you wonder why it took a crap? Seriously, its not that unusuall for that to happen even with a toyota and I hate to say it, yet by your post is sounds as if you were being far too hard on your older/aged engine.... my 99' SR5 has 150K miles on it, and I never beat it like that...(I can't afford too...) now I do drive moderatly agressive from time to time up to 80ish miles per hour yet I'm real careful at how fast i "punch it" as this is a 5,000 pound vehicle and not a race car. I also stay on top of the oil changes (synthetic only), maintenance and the VERY important... proper engine warm up times...

FYI, most damage is done to an engine by not properly warming the engine up (for the 1st 10 to 15 minutes of easy to moderate driving...btw: not by ideling) and a heavy foot while the engine is still "cold" commonly causes engine failure or damage (cold metal can break easily) and if you are too hard on a cold engine you are also wearing the living crap out of it.
Unfortunatly, damage like that is likely done on a consistant basis. AND you can never really know with the previous owner's lack of maintenance, lack of proper engine warmups, driving habits, ect ect ect....
sorry before you slam on the the toyota 3.4L too hard, please read the wikipedia on the toyota 3.4 V6 5VZFE...as its considered one of the MOST relible and smartly overbuilt engines of ALL time.... 250K + miles is not uncommon with these engines.
good luck on the repair

Last edited by icerunner; 04-14-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 20014runner
Bottom line: Possible past poor oil change habits from previous owner followed by Toyota's WEAK parts, rods, rod bolts,etc.
That sucks you blew your motor, I wouldn't make a blanket assumption about the 5VZFE just because it happened to you, especially on a used vehicle whose previous maintenance is uncertain. Of course, stuff like this can happen to any vehicle out of the blue, but damn dude...you knew of something that didn't sound right for a while and still drove it like you stole it...I'd hate to say it...in fact, I don't think I will

FYI I'm boosted with a 10psi pulley and rolling up on 180000 miles, and it purrs like a kitten. I've maintained my motor meticulously with all scheduled maintenance and use BG 44k and BG MOA every oil change.
I have no doubt that I'll see quite a few more miles before even considering a rebuild or replacement motor. And yes, sometimes I do drive it like I stole it!

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - Blew A Rod 2001 4runner