Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ebay use question, please help with this one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:27 PM
DSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting so sick of "so called" EXPERTS of Ebay...

and firthermore, getting fed up with the site. people waiting to leave feedback until you do, deleting bids that they don't "want", merchandise that is not what they claim...

Ebay used to be great.

Now i am very weary and have been getting burnt more than not...

I hope all this works out for you.

screw the neg feedback, know what i have noticed, no one even reads that stuff they just bid for the most part....heres the part you all chime in the "i do look at feedback"...well whats the incentive for someone with a 1000+ selling points to lose one neg feedback. yes they have earned that, but then it just gives them the flexibilty to screw someone...

tell i'm a little bitter
merry christams ebay
dsp
Old 12-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tell him to have a Merry Christmas and to shove his exhaust up the chimney. What can you afford...one neg feedback or the money for two exhaust systems?

Old 12-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

If it was me I would just pay the guy and get over it, you did win the auction - there is no doubt about it. Also where is the other muffler you bought with buy it now? It does not show up in a search of your completed auctions when I do a search by bidder. I do not think you really wanted this muffler, because there is no other muffler purchase by you.

If you bid on something you must be willing to pay for it, willing to take a negative, or get neg and NPB strike. It is really very simple and clear cut, there is no gray area here.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:12 PM

Like said above Ilovemountians can buy it for that price of $46.00 but he does not have to.
Then why is he shown by the Ebay system (that follows Ebay rules) as the winning bidder? Another fine example of my theory: ability to spell is directly related to the ability to reason.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:46 PM

Well to chime in again the fault is in e-bays hands if they sent him an e-mail stating that he had been outbid and if so he should of saved it. I deal with e-bay and save every e-mail till the smoke is clear. Then again if he didn't recieve the e-mail from them he is at fault. Never be so impatient as to bid on another auction until the bidding is over. If e-bay shows you as the high bidder then the high bidder you are. Either send the man the $10.00 he ask for or except the negative feedback!! I can assure you the 1 out of 201 feedbacks isn't going to hurt you!! Like DSP says and I quote "I am getting so sick of "so called" EXPERTS of Ebay..."
Merry Christmas To All!!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

not having purchased anything from e-bay and reading kevins posts as posted, it almost looks like he is trying to extort the money by threatening negative feedback. im not taking sides here, just making an observation.

lee
Old 12-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

The seller cancelled the winning bidders bid 7 seconds before it ended, this smells like a scam to me. Only one of camelot351's auctions is recent enough to see, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that this seller controls both id's and has used this trick before.

one thing I found about sellers canceling bids click

It appears that the seller is trying to hide behind the Unwelcome Bidder clause

I just spent way too much time searching ebays site for some clarification, they like to serve up little bite size tidbits, but I didn't find anything to solve this. I know that what the seller pulled feels like a shill game, and I'd probably report it. as such I know for sure I'm going to be a little more careful on ebay going forward.

If it were me I'd take the feedback hit & leave a nasty one on his, something like

"Seller drives a jeep, and sellers mom drives a Ford, BEWARE!"
Old 12-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Ibid. my previous post.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

I'm pushing 200 there myself, both buying and selling. Contact ebay and/or take the negative. It definitely "feels" scammish to me. If he leaves a negative, you are entitled to a rebuttal, use it to explain your case, then continue to rack up the positve feedback.

I for one see no logic in being unwilling ot sell to those with low feedback-especially for an item with relatively low value. It has the potential for a silly catch 22.

I hope you have all enjoyed my opinions.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Ouch! just found this

and this

looks like per Ebay rules you are on the hook, though the auction last second seller retraction still smells bad to me. Ebay is rapidly becoming much less atractive to me.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Dude are you Kevin?

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Then why is he shown by the Ebay system (that follows Ebay rules) as the winning bidder? Another fine example of my theory: ability to spell is directly related to the ability to reason.
Hey man are you Kevin the seller? Who would cancel the winning bid with a few seconds left? That’s just ridiculous to me, people like this seller are the ones that do take the fun out of Ebay, I have 204+ feedback on there for selling and buying and have never once had any one do this before and if I felt the need to cancel some ones bid right at the end of the auction, I sure as hell wouldn’t give the next high bidder a load of ˟˟˟˟ over it if he said, man I got out bid and bought something else, but then I’m a decent person and believe in others and am willing to help others any way I can, unlike this seller. And I did file a claim with Ebay just in case it is a scam because this doesn’t happen to honest Ebay users, and went ahead and paid him the lousy $46 + $9 for UPS shipping to shut his winy pathetic ass up, I bet he does drive a Jeep.... I guess I will have to buy another dual sport now since I have a Cobra muffler and a Supertrapp!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
How can that be if I was out bid, I got the you have been out bid screen and thought oh well, so I bought some thing else! I cant help that I was out bid! This sucks, I should not be held responsible, he should be for cancelling the true high bidders bid, not me! I got out bid damn it!!!!!!!
i agree with you and think that once you're outbid you should be done with it. but unfortunately ebay's policy is that you are responsible. read the fine print when you get the outbid notice. it tells you that if the other bidder retracts the bid or the seller cancels a bid then it goes down to the next highest bidder. i think it's stupid, but them's the rules.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Smile

I think you did the right thing - paid for your winning bid and reported to Ebay what you think may be something fishy. I have 609+ positive in 15 months time. I sell a lot on Ebay and only cancel bids on say: A zero feedback bidder who has been on Ebay for 4 years, a bidder who is from a country I can not ship to, or a bidder with loads of bad feedback related to not paying. If a guy had 4 recent positive, I would have absolutely no problem selling to him.

Another thing you could do: If you know the id of the 4 feedback bidder - do a search "by bidder" (include completed items) and see what he bids on - I have a feeling he was probably legit and the seller just has quirky policies but at least he did list the policy in the description.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I have sold over 100 vehicles on eBay. I am a listing agent. I go to used car dealers, perform my own inspections, take my own photos, do the whole writeup and list the vehicle using the dealers own account, and I get a commission. I have researched eBay's policies, and the local laws in my state. When he included the part about the 5 or less feedbacks, he covered his tail. It is your responsibility to carry through, although on such a small amount I personally wouldn't have held you responsible. On a vehicle, I would have. Vehicle listings are $40, plus another $40 if it sells. In my listings I state, more than once, "Do not bid unless you intend to pay for this vehicle".
The "contract" is based on the text used in the auction. That's why the seller can not change the text after the first bid is placed. This covers both the seller and the buyer.

Like I said, I would not have held you responsible. But you are responsible.

I also am curious as to why the exhaust that purchased using "Buy It Now" does not show up in your completed auctions list.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

You wanted opinions, right?

Rules are rules. Ebay can have whatever rules they want. The seller can add to those rules if the seller wants. It's up to you, the buyer, to understand both Ebay's rules and the seller's rules. One of Ebay's rules is that your bid is live until the auction is over. This isn't another auction site, this is Ebay. You weren't raising your hand at a live auction, you were bidding on an auction through Ebay. Each auction house has their own rules. You may not like this rule but it is a rule you agreed to when you bid on his item. Lesson learned for your next Ebay experience.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:13 PM

As another high volume seller, I've learned that you have to read the fine print of an auction and protect yourself accordingly. This is where you messed up. It was stated that he would remove bids from buyers with less than 5 feedback. Once you placed a bid, it was your responsibility to watch his other bidders closely in the event that you were outbid by someone who's bid was going to be canceled. Having less than 5 feedback is no reason to cancel a winning bid, that's just stupid. This part of his description should have been your first clue that you were going to have problems with this seller.

Do I think cancelling the winning bid in the last few seconds of the auction is a litte suspicious? Yes. But what can you do? He stated it was going to happen in his description. My advice: Leave him a neg. You'll get one in return, but is 1 out of 200 really going to matter. And at least you'll know you didn't let him get away with this Bull˟˟˟˟˟. And if it's a scam, maybe he'll think twice before doing it again.

That's one of the problems with ebay. Too many people are too chicken ˟˟˟˟˟ to leave a negative in fear of getting one in return. If you don't stand up and give a deserving SOB a negative, that person is going to try to pull more and more crap. Show him you aint gonna take it any more.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Do I think cancelling the winning bid in the last few seconds of the auction is a litte suspicious? Yes. But what can you do? He stated it was going to happen in his description. My advice: Leave him a neg. You'll get one in return, but is 1 out of 200 really going to matter. And at least you'll know you didn't let him get away with this Bull˟˟˟˟˟. And if it's a scam, maybe he'll think twice before doing it again.

That's one of the problems with ebay. Too many people are too chicken ˟˟˟˟˟ to leave a negative in fear of getting one in return. If you don't stand up and give a deserving SOB a negative, that person is going to try to pull more and more crap. Show him you aint gonna take it any more.
I have 178 (206 total) feedbacks out of about 248 deals, buying and selling, and I have received several retaliatory negs from non-paying bidders. You can always add your brief reply explaining the situation.
It looks to me he was shill bidding trying to get as much as he could for that item. Canceling a winning bid that close to the end of the auction is very suspect.
Take ChickenLover's advice, don't let him get away clean on this one.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Screw E-Gay. Leave negative feedback on him warning other buyers of his shinanigans
Old 12-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

After all if you can save just ONE person isnt it all worth it.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude even if you pay him you will probably still get neg. so call e-bay leave neg and forget it. if you do pay him he will do the same scam again.