Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving in 4Hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll drive my 96 at speeds of up to 50+ in 4 low.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:36 AM
funglenn

Originally posted by funglenn
Not to add to the confusion, but ....

I remember the dealer telling me that I could drive my 2001 SR5 in 4H on dry pavement, because it now had the 4x4 system that used to be available only in the limited, which allows for dry pavement.

He said that this is why I should be a new 2001 vs. a used 99, like I had been thinking of doing. He said driving the 99 SR5 on dry pavement would be bad, really really bad.

Does anyone know of what I am talking about? This is one answer where the limiteds and SR5s will have different answers for different years.

Glenn
True, but I am pretty sure that they transitioned the AWD to us measly mortails with SR5s in like 01 -02. Anybody have the exact details?

We are getting somewhere.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
this was EXACTLY what i was told about my 2001 sr5 and is what i was trying to say earlier in the thread.

got a little nervous there...
Im with ya....I was hoping someone would answer the question this way cuz Ive been running mine off the 4wd button for 2 years. (not straight)
Old 01-16-2004, 10:52 AM

went up to 90 on hard pavement in 4hi. This was in strong winds and above average rain. I didn't hear or feel and problems. I was only scared of my '97 4runner being blown into the next lane over.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cvlighthouse
I'll drive my 96 at speeds of up to 50+ in 4 low.
I'll just go ahead and assume you are kidding.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

I hope you were kidding too!

Fink
Old 01-16-2004, 12:58 PM

So......

What I am taking away from this is that there are quite a few different answers for quite a few different types of 4WD.

Mine is an Automatic tranny with the seperate shifter for 2HI, 4Hi and 4Lo.

Just to get the facts straight... I do not drive on dry roads in 4Hi nor 4Lo for that matter. I wanted to know whether it was Ok to drive on the Highway in 4Hi as long as there was snow/slippage available to the wheels. It sounds like it is ok ....And for whomever asked why I would use 4wd on the Highway.... I ask you, Do you have snow on your Highways? If not, you are more than welcome to come here and drive beside me in 2wd and we'll see who ends up in the ditch like the rest of the 2wd suckers! At least trying to go highway speeds anyway......

The only thing that everyone seems to agree on is that there is more stress on the drivetrain in 4wd while turning. I guess its not a good idea to try and do donuts in 4wd...Ooops! :cry:

thanks for the feedback guys!

Last edited by Sass69; 01-16-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Well its OK to do donuts, just not on high traction surfaces...I do donuts in my fields after it rains all the time

Fink
Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, donuts aren't bad on slick surface. Just don't do donuts in low 4 on concrete. Not only would you need new tires and perhaps roll the rig, but it's just not good for the drivetrain to have that much stress on it.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Speakin' of donuts, I just got done doin a few in a mudhole that popped up in the rains we've been gettin all day...did it in both 2H and 4H...fun stuff man!

Fink

BTW: Is it absolutely necessary to put the trans. in "N" to shift to 4L? Sometimes I just forget...is that bad?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
BTW: Is it absolutely necessary to put the trans. in "N" to shift to 4L? Sometimes I just forget...is that bad?
No, you can be moving when you do it but you are probably better off just coming to a complete stop.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

So you can be moving when switching to 4Low? I didn't know that...I had come to a complete stop, just not shifted into "N" so I guess I'm ok

Fink
Old 01-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THEIR MANUAL AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE ANSWERED IN THERE.

ITS PUT THERE FOR A REASON AND THERE IS LOTS OF IMPORTANT INFO IN IT.

READ IT, YOU'LL LEARN.

(this is not pointed at anyone, if you think it is, youre wrong.)

(this goes for 4WD questions, tranny questions, type of fluids, etc etc)

NO NEED TO GET ON THE WWW AND POST A QUESTION THAT WOULD ONLY TAKE A SECOND TO ANSWER IN YOUR MANUAL.

:pat:
Old 01-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RTdawgs
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THEIR MANUAL AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE ANSWERED IN THERE.

READ IT, YOU'LL LEARN.

NO NEED TO GET ON THE WWW AND POST A QUESTION THAT WOULD ONLY TAKE A SECOND TO ANSWER IN YOUR MANUAL.

Very true. That's why I read my manual. Owner's manuals are very good things to use.

Fink, you can be moving but only pretty slow. It will say in your manual.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:11 AM

not pointed at anyone

READ IT, YOU'LL LEARN.

Whether or not you realize it...your "pointing" it at people that don't read their manuals. So your wrong.

I can't believe you bothered typing that crap either. If you don't want to be apart of the thread because your one of the smarter people that can read, then don't respond ....just leave the thread. Why would you waste time typing that nonsense.... So far thats the first time I've encountered an ignorant response within YT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE THREAD....DON'T F'IN READ IT, LET ALONE RESPOND TO IT!!!

And if you think this is "pointed" at anyone your wrong!

PS. if you can read...then read some of the answers in here where it says" I don't see that in my manual"
Old 01-17-2004, 05:46 AM

I didn't get an owner's manual with my truck since I bought it used. I'm sure I'm not the only one. What do I do?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

You come on here and ask the experts...whether I have a manual or not, I was asking if it was COMPLETELY necessary to shift into neutral. I realize that the manual states how to do it...I was just asking a simple question.

But I'm not pointing this reponse to anybody in particular.

Fink
Old 01-17-2004, 09:38 AM

The manual is intended as a basic guideline...mainly to cover the manufacturer's butt if something goes wrong.

Reading this thread...it's good to see real world experience as to what our trucks are capable of.

I wouldn't toss out the manual, but I wouldn't live by it either.

Jim
Old 01-17-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
You come on here and ask the experts...whether I have a manual or not, I was asking if it was COMPLETELY necessary to shift into neutral. I realize that the manual states how to do it...I was just asking a simple question.

But I'm not pointing this reponse to anybody in particular.

Fink
I'd say 'yes' to that question. When you go from 2Hi to 4Hi, you are just engaging the front drive-shaft...but otherwise everything is moving at the same speed.

However when you shift to 4Low, there is a different gear-set involved. There is no clutch like in the transmission...to gradually make the gears mesh. They just get slammed right together...so if you're moving you will hear them grind.

Jim
Old 01-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks jruz, thats all I needed to know.

Fink

Quick Reply: Driving in 4Hi