Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

deckplate mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deckplate mod

Anyone around the St.Louis area? I'd like to do the deckplate mod, but am not really confident on how to do it. I read up on the installs but I'd feel better having someone who's done one supervise or help out. Thanks
Old 07-03-2002, 04:33 AM

Question

Anyone done this mod in the Greensboro, NC area also? I want someone to help me out if possible.

Danny
Old 07-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

How far are you from asheville?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Philly
It's really not that difficult men. If you follow the instructions and pics it would be hard to screw it up. The only thing I screwed up was putting the Amsoil air filter in backwards LOL I used a dremel tool to cut the hole and sensor safe sealant. Just make sure you use sensor safe sealant.
When I go to the local parts barn I don't notice any sealants that claim to be "Sensor Safe" Just what did you use?? Black Permatex RTV?? I guess the Silicone stuff is what kills sensors but I have heard lots of conflicting reports on this issue IE, clear silicone and let it dry a day or 2 before starting the motor. Please enlighten us about the proper sealant.

I guess the mod itsself is pretty easy, find a hole saw and boat deck plate that are the same size and go to town hacking the airbox. I guess the carpentry rule applies here... measure 4 or5 times and cut once, much better than buying a new airbox athe the junkyard.

Good luck fellas.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Here is what I used...

Sensor-Safe Silicon Sealant, Permatex #598B UltraBlack Hi-Temp
Old 07-07-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by turboale
How far are you from asheville?

About 2.5 hrs
Old 07-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

If you really want to, you can come up here and my dad and I would be happy to help. My friends come over all the time (its quite handy having a mechanic/carpender as a father ) I'm gonna be busy this week, but maybe sometime next week.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:13 PM

test
Old 07-12-2002, 03:36 AM

Exclamation

I DID THE DECKPLATE MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA11111

Everthing seems to work well. I also tried the perform the fog light mod. But unfortunately that did not work. I followed the directions as described but nothing worked for my 2002 4Runner. Be advised not to do the mod for 2000+ 4Runner.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:53 AM

The instructions for the fog lamp mod for 2002 are here: http://www.top4runners.com/ja/index.html

It works just fine.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by ckonarske
The instructions for the fog lamp mod for 2002 are here: http://www.top4runners.com/ja/index.html

It works just fine.
Thats where I got the directions. HOW DID YOU GET IT TO WORK!!!?????????

Let me ask you. When you cut the wire to make it work did you cut it from the main DRL relay consol or the one just behind it?

Old 07-12-2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by dlotoy4runner

Thats where I got the directions. HOW DID YOU GET IT TO WORK!!!?????????

Let me ask you. When you cut the wire to make it work did you cut it from the main DRL relay consol or the one just behind it?

Cut the wire in the Main DRL (D8) connector and run it to ground.

Is it possible you grounded the wrong end of the wire after cutting it? Good luck

Last edited by ckonarske; 07-12-2002 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:11 AM

Cut the wire in the Main DRL (D8) connector and run it to ground.

I didn't ground the wire when I cut the green wire with black stripe. So I panicked and undid everything including reconnecting the wire I just snipped. The D8 connector. Is it the big fat connector or the small square connector? I still don't see how yours worked when I did the same directions. Maybe I'm a dummy
Old 07-12-2002, 04:17 AM

I didn't ground the wire when I cut the green wire with black stripe. So I panicked and undid everything including reconnecting the wire I just snipped. The D8 connector. Is it the big fat connector or the small square connector? I still don't see how yours worked when I did the same directions. Maybe I'm a dummy
As I recall, there's only one connector on D8 and it's fairly wide; definitely not a small, square one. I think there were two fairly large wires and two rows of smaller wires in it.

Ground the wire and then do the continuity check described in the instructions. It's safe and won't blow anything if you happen to have the wrong wire.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:22 AM

There are some pics of the relay and connector on my page listed below in my sig. Maybe that'll help.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:51 AM

There are some pics of the relay and connector on my page listed below in my sig. Maybe that'll help.

Thanks for your pictures. I might try it again. By the way your rig and mine are TWINS . Do you notice a difference after you've done the deckplate mod? I think I do but I might be . I might have to get a second fog light relay so if I decide to not do it again I won't have bent up the prong so much.

In your opinion do you think mine didn't work because I didn't ground the wire?
Old 07-12-2002, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

You must ground the wire for it to work. Also a second relay is going to cost you $$$ they aint cheap.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:06 AM

Thanks for your pictures. I might try it again. By the way your rig and mine are TWINS . Do you notice a difference after you've done the deckplate mod? I think I do but I might be . I might have to get a second fog light relay so if I decide to not do it again I won't have bent up the prong so much.

In your opinion do you think mine didn't work because I didn't ground the wire?
Yes. It definitely won't work without the wire grounded. Basically, what you're doing is creating a new circuit for the fogs and the ground is what completes it. Make sure to do the continuity check after the ground extension.

From what you said, it's also possible you may have been working with the wrong connector. Not sure. Just not sure where the connector confusion came from.

Who knows whether the deck plate really makes a difference without a dyno? I DO like the sound, though.

I've been fooled by the changes in sound of an engine a hundred times in my life, so I'm a little reluctant to believe I really can tell a difference.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:09 AM

Yes. It definitely won't work without the wire grounded. Basically, what you're doing is creating a new circuit for the fogs and the ground is what completes it. Make sure to do the continuity check after the ground extension.

From what you said, it's also possible you may have been working with the wrong connector. Not sure. Just not sure where the connector confusion came from.

Who knows whether the deck plate really makes a difference without a dyno? I DO like the sound, though.

I've been fooled by the changes in sound of an engine a hundred times in my life, so I'm a little reluctant to believe I really can tell a difference.
:pat: hit me for being stupid but how do you do the continuity check? Step by step what would I do? Sorry Im a rookie.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by jalaber
You must ground the wire for it to work. Also a second relay is going to cost you $$$ they aint cheap.
If you do the "full time" power outlet mod, I think the relay you remove is the same as the fog relay. If so, it can be used in the place of the FLR.

Quick Reply: deckplate mod