Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

damp carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marc, ok so I went and popped the hood and saw that awesome drain pipe. wow, no wonder it gets wet at long distant highway speeds... what is it about an inch and a half long? and sticks straight out. gotta fix that.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Am not sure how long that pipe is, but I do know that its suppose to come right out an just drip down. the water drop hits the frame and then the front skidplate an just down to the floor. were you able to find the main leak Of how that water drop is entering your cab ?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
Rockslide and marcballz (what kind of name is that?? I'm kind of embarrassed to say it) you guys were right, I thought what the heck pull back the carpet and see what i saw, sure enough it was pretty wet but was holding the moisture like a sponge and wasn't getting through to the carpet above, so when my floormat was in place the moisture was trying to evap. and was getting trapped by the rubber backing of the floormat, the so called pro who did my stereo install made it look good to the eye at the grommet, I mean it looked clean and tight, but I decided to pour water on my windshield and watch exactly what happened. sure enough it ran right off in that corner right onto the grommet and wires and traveled inside through the firewall.thanks for the advice guys another "mystery" solved by the "yota gang" I stand corrected
LOL, nothing secret about the origin of my user name. Long story short - Actual rock slides always seem to "crop up" for me on road trips...thus the reason I chose the user name.

Glad to see you found the problem! Just goes to show you, some of us on here actually do know a thing or 2 . Seriously though, I had the same problem w/ the water beads under the mat...They were always under there...it just took me forever to realize it was rain water b/c I'd always notice the underneath of my mats being wet when it was 90 degs outside and hadn't rain in 3 or more days.

Sure enough, I cut hole in the firewall grommet just a milimeter too big when doing some electrical stuff and poof, a perfect size hole for rain to enter in thru. I went a step further after sealing the hole and replaced the padding underneath the carpet so mildew or rust would not become an issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
LOL, nothing secret about the origin of my user name. Long story short - Actual rock slides always seem to "crop up" for me on road trips...thus the reason I chose the user name.

Glad to see you found the problem! Just goes to show you, some of us on here actually do know a thing or 2 . Seriously though, I had the same problem w/ the water beads under the mat...They were always under there...it just took me forever to realize it was rain water b/c I'd always notice the underneath of my mats being wet when it was 90 degs outside and hadn't rain in 3 or more days.

Sure enough, I cut hole in the firewall grommet just a milimeter too big when doing some electrical stuff and poof, a perfect size hole for rain to enter in thru. I went a step further after sealing the hole and replaced the padding underneath the carpet so mildew or rust would not become an issue.

Lol.... I was talking about markballz, your screen name is cool, thanks again, happy wheelin'
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Ohh ha just a high school name, but nothing specifc just diffrent things.