Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cruiser coil lift issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevyWevy
so any word on how much lift you got in the rear with the coils and the spacer?
Sorry guys, I have been insanely busy. I will be finishing it up this week for sure. I haven't had a chance at all to work on it like I promised, but I put things off for the rest of the week to get my Runner done. I still have to build the engine. I got all the work done but still waiting on one head.

I'll have pictures of the lift early next week. Sorry for the delay guys, just haven't been available to work on it.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trim spacers are only going to allow you to match the tallest spring which I think will be too tall for some.

93rnr has my short sides and is over 3" of lift.

My two tall sides, which is essentially what y'all will have after using the spacers, is giving more than 3" of lift with a heavy rear bumper and tire carrier.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Just thought you might be able to use this picture as reference (this is a stock 91 4runner).
Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
The trim spacers are only going to allow you to match the tallest spring which I think will be too tall for some.

93rnr has my short sides and is over 3" of lift.

My two tall sides, which is essentially what y'all will have after using the spacers, is giving more than 3" of lift with a heavy rear bumper and tire carrier.
I'm not sure what you have been getting at with the tall and short springs. Slee said that makes no sense and to me it doesn't either. The difference in the long and short springs is very minimal......1/2" maybe. Yes, there is a difference, but not enough to make it a huge issue at that height.

The front is where the issue will be when using these springs. I'm not sure what you did, but I'm hoping the ball joint spacers and cranking the T-bars will get it somewhat level.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
Just thought you might be able to use this picture as reference (this is a stock 91 4runner).
BLING!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:35 PM

You are not sure what I am getting at?

The springs are taller and shorter. This is the truth. You even measured it with your own tape.

They sure as heck made a difference on my truck. As in I actuall installed them, on my truck, not the internet. I messed around with side to side. This is reality, not how someone thinks it is going to work. I am trying to help you, but it is getting more difficult.

What is the pic for?

What are these springs going to do to the front?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:48 PM

im starting to wonder if i should just go with two small springs or do the one short one tall. thats why i was asking how the one tall one short worked out on Dan's 4Runner.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:51 AM

You are not sure what I am getting at?

The springs are taller and shorter. This is the truth. You even measured it with your own tape.

They sure as heck made a difference on my truck. As in I actuall installed them, on my truck, not the internet. I messed around with side to side. This is reality, not how someone thinks it is going to work. I am trying to help you, but it is getting more difficult.

What is the pic for?

What are these springs going to do to the front?
I'm sorry if I offended you, but here is the logic to what Slee Offroad and I are saying. The springs are the same rate......I have no idea what that is, but lets say 500lb/in. With that said, there is a 1/2 difference in spring heights between long and short. Now it will take 500lbs. of pressure to compress the springs 1 inch......1000lbs to compress them 2 inches......1500lbs. to compress them 3 inches(I know you probably understand springs, but it helps me explain it better). Now, when we add say 1000lbs of truck weight(for ease of explaining) the tall spring side compresses 2 inches as does the short side.......giving them 1/2" difference still.

Do you see what Slee Offroad at I have come to? No matter what it will only be 1/2" different between a Runner with the tall and short springs.

As far as that picture, I have no idea why it was posted....wasn't by me. It's a very clean Runner though. Someone has alot of love for it.

What I was getting at with the front is that to make it sit level without a rake to it's stance, I'll have to use my balljoint spacers and crank the T-bars.

What did you do to lift your front? And does it sit level or have a rake to it?

I really hope that you aren't upset or taken offense to my posts.....that is not my intention at all. I just wish that you had some numbers for us with tall and short springs installed. We can speculate on here until we are blue in the face, but that won't do any real good. I'll post some pictures next week of mine with the springs and packer. Then people that want to make this leap can......if not, that's cool too. I've spend the money like you have and so I'm going to make it work for me.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:00 AM

I have two tall side coils on my truck.

Both sides measure 16" rim to fender.

I also have BJ spacers in the front so I measure 16" rim to fender at each corner. This measurement includes a 1" bodylift.

934rnr posted pics of his ride too. He has the two short coils of the 4 I bought.

If the coils have the same spring rate but one is taller, and we assume the truck is balanced side to side as far as weight, then the taller coil will lift more. That is a fact.

Adding spacers will make the shortest one as tall as the tallest for leveling purposes.

Put them on your truck, find out it leans, swap them side to side, find out it still leans, add the spacers and then find out it is too tall, then find another coil or add a bumper.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:29 AM

Ok, you don't sound so mad in that reply, I'm glad.

Yes, you are right, the tall ones will be taller anyway you go. But what I'm saying is that it's only 1/2"....maybe 3/4" at most depending on the springs. Yes, I guess this can make a big difference, but for the price, you can't beat it.

I'd think that you would have a rake on your truck by your measurements though. 16" on both front and rear fenders would cause me to think that because the fron fenders are deeper than the rear ones. I'm sure that looks normal though. I'd like to have mine set level, but not sure that's possible without getting one of the high dollar 4" front lifts.

I was looking at my Runner the other day. Do you think that the control arms need to be lengthened? Yes, that would be some custom work, but I can see where it has pulled my rear wheels forward, even if it is ever so slight.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:19 AM

on 934rnr's cardomain page, he says that he has the two long sides. here is a pic of his.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:53 AM

He most certainly has two short sides. I sold them to him and you can even check for my fingerprints if you like.

I am not mad, I am striving to enlighten through personal experience. Just the facts man.

There is a difference in coil heights. Provided the weight side to side is balanced on a runner and it presumably not on a cruiser, you will need two coils of the same height or spacers to equal them out. The Downeys I replaced were the same height side to side.

All I have up front is BJ spacers. It is a little raked, but it is not bad. I have never had anyone say it looks like a hotrod or anything.

The arms ought to be lengthened. The panhard should be the biggest concern. When my wallet cools down this summer, I intend to lengthen my arms, but that keeps taking a backseat to other projects.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 PM

He most certainly has two short sides. I sold them to him and you can even check for my fingerprints if you like.

I am not mad, I am striving to enlighten through personal experience. Just the facts man.

There is a difference in coil heights. Provided the weight side to side is balanced on a runner and it presumably not on a cruiser, you will need two coils of the same height or spacers to equal them out. The Downeys I replaced were the same height side to side.

All I have up front is BJ spacers. It is a little raked, but it is not bad. I have never had anyone say it looks like a hotrod or anything.

The arms ought to be lengthened. The panhard should be the biggest concern. When my wallet cools down this summer, I intend to lengthen my arms, but that keeps taking a backseat to other projects.
I have agreed all along that the Cruiser springs left to right are different heights, but they are the same rate. Slee Offroad (Christo) says that the reason for this is that the perches are different heights. So yes, on a Runner you will need a spacer on one side, you are right.

With that said, I have my rear end on the ground right now. The fender to rim height is 17 1/2" in mine, but I don't have the rear bumper that you have and there is no spare in it right now. Right now I would recommend this: Either spend the money for 2 long or 2 short......or be planned to fabricate a 1/2" spacer from steel or aluminum. The OME spacer will not hold up. I can see that it is a flaw in the plan now.

So, the long spings should give you about 17-17 1/2" of lift on a stock Runner. The short I would guess would be about 16 1/2-17".

I am also putting a 2" RB bodylift with the plan to put 35s on it. The 35s look like they will fit with the bodylift, but I don't think I can do any real wheeling until the control arms have been adjusted to the right length. Maybe not even then, who knows......she might just be a poser. Oh well......I'll look at 33s when I'm ready for tires.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Alright, I have a question.......I'm not sure what you guys have for a rear suspension because I see several set-ups in my book. I have oil springs in the rear with bump stops in the middle of that. They look like what Toyota is doing for the recall on the '95-02?. Anyway, the coil spring rears in my book dont have the same perch as mine has.......does the whole perch come out.....as in bolted in? If so I think that I'm going to just take it out and put my OME spring packer under that on my short spring side.

So does anyone know it comes out via a bolt?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:56 PM

If they are the same rate, then the problems will be as I have experienced them to be. As in me, on my truck.

I have never had a recall on my rear suspension. I did drop the bumpstops to add spacers when I had Downey coil spacers. There is an access hole from above, pretty sure both bolts are 14mm heads.

As for the arms, it should not matter what tire size you are running since the coils and shocks would be all that would impact travel. Mine have been wheeling fine on some tough trails with the coils and 33's. Get some lockers and have at it.

You rear height measurements are amazing. I find it hard to believe you are getting almost 3 more inches of lift, but I suppose the bumper and tire impact something.

To reitterate, I really think people should look for a pair of shorties. Find a friend who is fat or carries heavy stuff and give him two tall ones.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:30 PM

If they are the same rate, then the problems will be as I have experienced them to be. As in me, on my truck.

I have never had a recall on my rear suspension. I did drop the bumpstops to add spacers when I had Downey coil spacers. There is an access hole from above, pretty sure both bolts are 14mm heads.

As for the arms, it should not matter what tire size you are running since the coils and shocks would be all that would impact travel. Mine have been wheeling fine on some tough trails with the coils and 33's. Get some lockers and have at it.

You rear height measurements are amazing. I find it hard to believe you are getting almost 3 more inches of lift, but I suppose the bumper and tire impact something.

To reitterate, I really think people should look for a pair of shorties. Find a friend who is fat or carries heavy stuff and give him two tall ones.
I'll get a picture with a measuring tape when I get it all done so you can see the lifts actual impact.

The comment about the control arms affecting the tires is becuase I figured with the rear riding slightly forward now that 35s would rub the front edge of the fender when stuffed.

I think you kind of answered my question about the rear bump stops.....I just have to get under it to look at it now.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:18 PM

yeah, but when it stuffs wont the axel move back, because the arms are only angled so much because of the springs, so if the springs are compressed more, then the more they're compressed, the further back in the wheel well they will go. i could be wrong but thats how it would seem to me.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35 PM

The rub will probably be the front of the wheel well at ride height.

Kevy is right about compression.

The lowers should be lengthened, but the geometry is getting near the edge of whacked at this lift height.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
yeah, but when it stuffs wont the axel move back, because the arms are only angled so much because of the springs, so if the springs are compressed more, then the more they're compressed, the further back in the wheel well they will go. i could be wrong but thats how it would seem to me.
You're right, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.