Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cricket noise from engine at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cricket noise from engine at idle

3.4..experiencing a "cricket" like noise at idle..goes away when driving-of course, my exhaust and s/c noise probably over take it-ha!

Belts look good..thinking a bad coil pack..been a lil low on power and worsening gas mileage. Ive had to replace one before about 6 months ago. Do bad coil packs shut down cyclinders?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cricket noise you say? Are you manual or auto? If you are manual, does it go away when you push in the clutch?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM

I also hear a cricket noise when I first warm up my rig in the morning and after driving for a bit, it goes away a little. I have narrowed it down to the black box on the driver's side, right abover the tire in the engine bay. I am not sure what the black box is called, i think its the charcoal canister or the brake booster box if I am not mistaken. I have an auto transmission and the belts have been changed out recently. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 AM

darn cricket

manual...pretty sure it does w/or w/o clutch engaged. fairly confident its a bad coil pack. not sure how to test a coil pack tho? Goin to take to my trusty private mechanic who has done a coil pack on it once b4.
thx for the feedback!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Oh... i would say it could be a throw out bearing if it was clutch dependent... mine makes that noise.... but if it doesn't go away when you push the clutch in, yeah not so much. Good luck though
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM

if its kind of a squeak noise, I think I have the same thing. I assumed that its a tensioner that might be going bad. I tried to lube it while the engine is on to see if I can figure out which one it is, but you cant get around anything with the fan going.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM

I've got a little bit of a cricket at warm up idle on mine as well. I assumed it was the altenator bearing slowly starting to go.

Curious......how/why would a bad coil pack make a chirping sound?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 PM

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by FavreRunner; 03-24-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same noise too, I know its coming from a belt/pulley, but, I don't really care to fix it until something happens
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

i hear the same thing. But it could be a number of things for me, as i need to do a s/c rebuild pretty bad
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM

I thought it was coming from the belts but the sound could be more described as a tick, tick, tick, tick coming from the brake booster. This only happens in the morning when it is cold. It is really a cause for concern because everything is working fine. Anybody else have this issue???

austin
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
I also hear a cricket noise when I first warm up my rig in the morning and after driving for a bit, it goes away a little. I have narrowed it down to the black box on the driver's side, right abover the tire in the engine bay. I am not sure what the black box is called, i think its the charcoal canister or the brake booster box if I am not mistaken. I have an auto transmission and the belts have been changed out recently. Any insight would be appreciated.
I have the same problem. It's the purge valve for the EVAP system. There is a TSB for the concern to replace the valve but the valve is like 75 bucks. Not annoying enough to spend that kind on money.

Originally Posted by jrock
manual...pretty sure it does w/or w/o clutch engaged. fairly confident its a bad coil pack. not sure how to test a coil pack tho? Goin to take to my trusty private mechanic who has done a coil pack on it once b4.
thx for the feedback!
I've seen a lot of bad coils and never one that made noise and not followed by a engine misfire. I'd save your money if I were you. I'm betting on the EVAP valve. If the noise goes away when the engine warms up it's most likely the problem. If you hear it you can also unplug it and see if the noise goes away.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bwhyit
I have the same problem. It's the purge valve for the EVAP system. There is a TSB for the concern to replace the valve but the valve is like 75 bucks. Not annoying enough to spend that kind on money.

I've seen a lot of bad coils and never one that made noise and not followed by a engine misfire. I'd save your money if I were you. I'm betting on the EVAP valve. If the noise goes away when the engine warms up it's most likely the problem. If you hear it you can also unplug it and see if the noise goes away.
Good Post...purge valve indeed if its ticking. Mine does this as well...no biggy.

As for the "chirps", its probably the belts. Test how firm they are by pushing on them...they may just need tightening. Otherwise, try some belt dressing/conditioner...spray some on and see if the noise goes away. If so, time for belts...

Coil packs won't chirp or make cricket noises...unless of course you have a cricket stuck in there...then...maybe. However, the cricket is most likely dead cause of the fact that he's stuck in the coil pack/wiring or just the cold got him....

Good luck

Last edited by Skrillah; 01-16-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Question

Is the purge valve something that can be easily replaced or does it need to be taken to a mechanic? The reason I ask is because it is a pressurized system and I didn't want to mess anything else up. If it can be replaces easily, is there already a write-up for it on here or anywhere else? Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Is the purge valve something that can be easily replaced or does it need to be taken to a mechanic? The reason I ask is because it is a pressurized system and I didn't want to mess anything else up. If it can be replaces easily, is there already a write-up for it on here or anywhere else? Thanks guys.
Honestly, thats a good question. I'm not sure...I would imagine the system creates the vacuum which may cause a small hiccup upon start up but I imagine it would go away after a min or two...I don't know...

Any thoughts...anyone?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any news on this? i've had a very slight ticking noise for about a year but now after it's been insanely cold the last couple weeks i have a very loud ticking that can be heard inside the cabin and i know it's coming from the black vacuum doodad that is the vacuum and charcoal canister. mostly the part that is closest towards the firewall. basically, i just want to know if driving with this is more of an annoyance or needs to be fixed right away to prevent damage to something? as i said, our high temps barely reach ZERO these days and if i can go without until it warms up a bit i'll fix it myself. anyone?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM

quick fix is a frog, on the other hand try to snatch the grashopper from my other hand
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tampabayota
quick fix is a frog, on the other hand try to snatch the grashopper from my other hand
great info, could you tell me the part number for this frog? or is it a tool that i can borrow from Auto Zone? anyone know any vendors that sell "frogs" at a discount for yotatech member?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Alright guys and gals, I did some searching and found some info. However, I am not sure if it is the same issue we are having with our rigs. The below links and info are describing a buzzing sound rather than a ticking sound. Anyway, the solution seems to be pretty cheap. Hope this will help all of us.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost....4&postcount=10

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...engine-104361/

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=53587

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w...gine-off-5730/

austin
Old 01-20-2008, 05:45 PM

thanks austin,
looks like that cures what ale's ya, cept i'm in the "ticking" group and not the "buzz" group i'll thumb around some more and see if there is any other info. i found one post that said to clean some of the evap stuff really good as it might be blocked with crud. i did just replace my PCV so maybe that was blocked and shot some crud into my evap box. i do like how midiwall described it as "moon base looking humps", i tried to think of something to help describe that and all i came up with was "evap doodad". i'll post back if i find anything.

Quick Reply: cricket noise from engine at idle