Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cost for retractable antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine last month. I have done many on a lot of different makes and models. I would always take the housing apart even if you were able to get the geared line out just to make sure that there isn't any crap in there, and also to re-lube everything up again, so that it doesn't break soon after you put the new one in.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM

The first time I had a broken antenna mast, I just replaced the mast and didn't open the housing, leaving the broken piece inside the housing. Worked great for about a month, then the broken bits worked themselves loose and started jamming up the works. Made a horrible grinding sound and the antenna stopped going all the way up. So then I had to start over and remove the broken part.

IMHO, I would have been better off just doing it right the first time by pulling the housing and taking out the broken pieces out. On my '99 4Runner there is one nut that attaches the antenna assembly inside the fender (plus the antenna nut on the top). Once you get the fender liner off (or pulled back enough to get your hand in there) just reach back and feel around for the nut. (10mm, I think). Remove this and the antenna nut and the housing comes right out. No need to disconnect the wires, just set it on top of your tire, remove the 5 (or 6) bolts that hold the cover plate on, fish out the broken bits, then reassemble. Very easy.

Based on my prior experience I would be concerned that leaving the broken bits in the housing might jam up the electric motor and cause a more costly failure.

Good luck-

-Scubaduck
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 AM

i see you point there, i just hope mine works out with no problems.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by simonpsu1
Check out this post:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76343

http://www.4runners.org/articles/whip/

It is for the Taco whip instal, but it gives you the idea on how to get there, just don't do the cutting suggested to remove the old one :pat:
From the article that I wrote that you referenced:

"If you intend to possibly re-use the motor again, do not cut this wire (like I did). To remove it, continue reading below"

bob
Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member

My original motorized antenna on my '96 4runner STILL works fine but i'm replacing it with the Tacoma whip because i personally think a motorized antenna sucks wether it works or not. For one it's very annoying and for two it has the the potential to break.

Get yourself a Tacoma antenna assembly. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Part number 86300-35090
$32.18 shipped from Northridge Toyota https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...1&page=1&pp=25
Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScubaDuck
The first time I had a broken antenna mast, I just replaced the mast and didn't open the housing, leaving the broken piece inside the housing. Worked great for about a month, then the broken bits worked themselves loose and started jamming up the works. Made a horrible grinding sound and the antenna stopped going all the way up. So then I had to start over and remove the broken part.

IMHO, I would have been better off just doing it right the first time by pulling the housing and taking out the broken pieces out. On my '99 4Runner there is one nut that attaches the antenna assembly inside the fender (plus the antenna nut on the top). Once you get the fender liner off (or pulled back enough to get your hand in there) just reach back and feel around for the nut. (10mm, I think). Remove this and the antenna nut and the housing comes right out. No need to disconnect the wires, just set it on top of your tire, remove the 5 (or 6) bolts that hold the cover plate on, fish out the broken bits, then reassemble. Very easy.

Based on my prior experience I would be concerned that leaving the broken bits in the housing might jam up the electric motor and cause a more costly failure.

Good luck-

-Scubaduck
If your antenna mast broke off partly inside the motor, it will never work correctly for long without pulling it out and removing all the pieces. It is really not that hard at all. Just remove the screws for the fenderwell, pull it back to expose the motor. Undo the bolt holding the bottom of the motor to the fender bracket (there is a little bracket which stabilizes the bottom of the antenna motor). Then remove the top nut holding the antenna flush with the fender and the entire motor can be pulled into the wheelwell area to work on (don't pull too hard because the antenna and power wires are still attached). Now I believe it was 4 phillips screws to remove the antenna's motor cover (where the mast gets coiled). Now clear out any broken parts, regrease inside (use lithium, silicone or other lightweight waterproof grease) and reassemble following the reverse of above. Once you get it all back together, you have someone turn the radio on for you (wait til the motor stops), then feed the new mast all the way down into the motor as far as it will go easily, then have the other person turn the radio off and continue feeding in the antenna mast until it has fully retracted. Now screw on the retainer nut and you are done. Turn the radio on/off a few times to make sure it goes up and down smoothly. It's really not hard to do.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:34 PM

I just finished replacing my power antenna mast today. Fun stuff. I ended up paying $50 or so at the dealership for just the mast. Ouch. But it's in, and it works. If it breaks again, I'll replace it with a whip antenna. The prices are almost the same from the dealer.

So when removing the plastic liner, I removed the screws around the edge of the fender trim, and then pulled the plastic liner out. Is there a trick to removing these plastic tabs shown in this pic? The tool shown just beyond in this pic didn't do much to remove them, but rather just bent and folded them. As it is now, I just have the liner held in place sandwiched between these tabs and the screws, which is half-ass. And I'm not big into half-assing anything, so I'd really like to do this right, I just can't seem to get all these damn tabs off. How much are these tabs from the dealer? Worst case scenario I destroy the ones I can't remove and simply replace them...

Also, is there a trick to removing the large outer fender trim on a 2002 Sport Edition? After removing the screws, it felt as if it could just be pulled off, but I am afraid to pull to hard and risk breaking it. Thanks.

here's the pic:
Old 07-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Thanks again you guys, you were right. It's not that hard, and even if you do break the plastic retaining tabs, they are cheap. Napa carries a generic version and they are next to nothing. I ended up paying about $60 dollars for the mast, which is expensive but typical for Hawaii. Looks good as new and it works just fine again.

I kind of lick the retractable antenna, it adds a sense of "oooo and ahhhh" factor. LOL.

Now if I can just get those dings and dents out I'd be styling fully.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31 AM

For those 2nd Gen Runners, I just finished mine. I found it easy and I am no master mechanic. I listen to my CD's mostly and did not want the antenna up all the time.
I purchased my Mast from: AntennaMastsRus.com, also found on eBay.
My mast was broke, so I opened up the motor. I removed 6 screws from the wheel well plastic cover and slid it back - from here you can easily access the motor and remove it. There is one bolt holding the motor assy after removing the top nut on the antenna. From here, you can set the motor assy on the tire and remove the 4 outter phillips screws and the center screw (careful, there is a nut on this screw on the back). You can now clean out the broken pieces and other debris in there (old white grease) and add some new white or lite grease. The reason you will sit it on the tire is because the antenna wire leading to the radio is still attached and this is not as easy to access - (see Taco Whip thread).
From there, follow the directions and have someone turn on the radio and then back off again - as soon as the radio is off, slide the new mast teeth in and VIOLA!. Well, not exactly, I did mine 3 times before it aligned just right. Be patient and it does work. Feel free to send me a note and I will be happy to assist or send pictures to help if needed.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM

But how do you get to the back of the radio in a 2nd gen 4Runner? My power antenna has pooped out and just pulls the rod in. Won't release it at all. Been doing this since March. I have no reception on the radio.

We are trying to follow the 3rd gen directions and there are some differences. We purchased an OEM antenna w/out motor. What will we have to do to replace the old one? Will we need to call the ToyShoppe to get a code for the radio to work again?

It's my husband's birthday and I think I'm in hot water with this one. It's not turning out to be as easy as he thought it looked.

THANKS in advance.
dutchq