Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cornfed Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be taking it to the dealership shop, they said they can do the rear coils no problem...they should be able to do the front as well right? It doesnt' require anything special does it?

Fink
Old 11-06-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I will be taking it to the dealership shop, they said they can do the rear coils no problem...they should be able to do the front as well right? It doesnt' require anything special does it?

Fink
The fronts require a coil compressor (they usually have wall mounted compressors). If you bring them the front coilover assembly already removed from your truck, they'll charge probably half what they would if you just brought them the vehicle.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't have a way to bring it to them, the Runner is the only transportation I have as of now. Maybe I could get one of my buddies to come pick me up or somethin. We'll see.

Fink
Old 11-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

My last concern with this lift is the harsh ride...I know people say it isn't very harsh, but I have a feeling that since my ride right now can be kind of harsh on uneven/bumpy/dirt roads that it will get a little bit worse.

What kind of front shocks would be a good complement to the Cornfed spacers? Tacoma Dude recommend OME 91SC, he says his ride is pretty smooth...he has a Tacoma but I can't imagine the front-end is too much different as far as ride quality.

Should I consider selling my HARDLY used Bils and replacing them with some softer shocks? What would you all do?

Fink
Old 11-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think Bils are really that stiff. I've never ridden in a truck with OMEs so I can't compare. The Bils are stiffer than stock but since you already have Bils, why swap them out? The spacers in the front will only slightly affect the stiffness, IMO. You won't even have spacers in the rears and going to OME springs in the rear will def be an improvement over stock.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Good idea, I will just wait to see what the new ride is like before making any changes...atleast I can change the shocks out on my own and won't have to pay an extra labor charge.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really really appreciate it!

I think I've got the money secured for the tires, just gotta get all the parts in for the lift and I'm good to go!

Fink

Old 11-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Alright guys, the coils ASUrunner was selling have been sold. I can get OME 891's from Phil/Barb at toyotapartsales.com for $117.64 + $24.00 shipping.

Is there a better deal somewhere else?

Those of you that are running this setup, have the 891's worked well or should I go with 890's so I can get a softer ride?

Thanks!

Fink
Old 11-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Banned

Alright guys, the coils ASUrunner was selling have been sold. I can get OME 891's from Phil/Barb at toyotapartsales.com for $117.64 + $24.00 shipping.

Is there a better deal somewhere else?

Those of you that are running this setup, have the 891's worked well or should I go with 890's so I can get a softer ride?

Thanks!

Fink
yea i think he ended the auction early....too bad, i was the highest bidder!! 117.64 its a great price for those coils. Not sure how they are going to run with the Bils though. IIRC, the Bils were shorter than the OMES...dont quote me on that though. Also, Omes or Low pressure while the bils are high....not sure how the ride is going to be on it. Go with the 891s
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
yea i think he ended the auction early....too bad, i was the highest bidder!! 117.64 its a great price for those coils. Not sure how they are going to run with the Bils though. IIRC, the Bils were shorter than the OMES...dont quote me on that though. Also, Omes or Low pressure while the bils are high....not sure how the ride is going to be on it.
So are you saying I should go ahead and get new OME shocks as well? I could probably sell my Bils for quite a bit, I've only had them on for 6k miles.

So now the question is, new OME shocks?

Fink
Old 11-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Banned

So are you saying I should go ahead and get new OME shocks as well? I could probably sell my Bils for quite a bit, I've only had them on for 6k miles.

So now the question is, new OME shocks?

Fink
BINGO. Go with the whole OME/Tundra set up. There is no room for substitutes. If money is a problem, save up more and buy them later. I made the mistake of buying bits and peice during my first ome lift, I later paid for it through a harsh ride. The OME/Tundra setup is well liked by everyone who has a 3rd gen.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

The Tundra/OME lift isn't really an option as of now. I have heard from MANY people who have this same lift that the ride is only a little bit different than stock, and if I go with some comfort shocks from OME then I think it will be fine.

So chime in guys! All of you with spacer lifts, should I replace the shocks with new OME shocks? If I do, I would guess the comfort shocks would be the best best to counter-act the added stiffness of the spacers if any.

Fink
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

The Tundra/OME lift isn't really an option as of now. I have heard from MANY people who have this same lift that the ride is only a little bit different than stock, and if I go with some comfort shocks from OME then I think it will be fine.

So chime in guys! All of you with spacer lifts, should I replace the shocks with new OME shocks? If I do, I would guess the comfort shocks would be the best best to counter-act the added stiffness of the spacers if any.

Fink
If you're going to replace the Bilsteins and get new rear springs, why not go all the way? Spacers up front will save you some $ but think about the labor you're spending, if you swap out again later. Go with the proven setup if you're going to swap out shocks. The only reason I don't go with the bamachem setup is I don't want to buy new shocks and try to sell mine. This would be an extremely expensive proposition.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

So you're saying forget the spacers and get the new front coils and new OME shocks up front and be done with it? I'd also need to get spacers, studs, and pay for shipping. If I had to guess I'd have to spend an extra $300. I think I'm actually just gonna have the shop do the rear coils and I'll bring them the front assembly and have them take it apart and reassemble it and then I'll put it back on the Runner.

After talkin gwith ASUrunner, I think I will leave the Bils in the front, replace the rear Bils with OME N86 shocks and then go with that. Then later on down the road in a year or so, go ahead and switch the rest over to the Tundra/OME setup...I like this because it will save me money now, allow me to get the ride height and tire size I want and the rear is practically done.

Sounds like it'll work out pretty well.

Fink
Old 11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I priced out both setups...the difference looks to be $330 give or take about $10-$15 for shipping differences and then depending on how many OEM conical bumpstops I would need give or take about $50.

Fink
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Pair of OME 891 lift coils $117.64
Pair of OME N86 Rear shocks $129.70
Shipping $37.00

These are coming from ARB in WA.

Think I can find a better deal somewhere that I wouldn't have to pay that much for shipping?

I don't mind, just seeing if I can find a better deal due to the long shipment?

EDIT: Went on 4x4Connection.com total comes to like $302 something, I'll keep searching.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-08-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 AM

check strap22's site, the trdparts4u site i think is what it is, or toyota of Dallas. either way, its in his sig.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

That's who I talked to...Phil, there are two sites. www.toyotapartsales.com and www.trdparts4u.com both run by Barb and Phil from Toyota of Dallas.

Still sounds like they have the best deal because their prices on the actual parts are really great!

I'll keep looking around this week and then make a decision by the weekend.

I need opinions on tires! BFG Muds or Goodyear MT/R's?!?!

I had the BFG's on my old rid and loved them but, I've heard good things about the MT/R's too.

I can't decide!

Fink
Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM

Have you checked out BFG's all terrains ? Not sure what type of wheeling you will be doing, but I have had all terrains for a few years now and they are wearing nice and SLOW!
I would imagine they are not as loud as the mudders, but I suppose its all what you plan on doing...my ride is more of a street queen, but I plan on changing that soon...but I will continue to drive with BFG All Terrains. One happy customer.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned

I have the BFG MTs and I would not buy them again. The sidewall is much weaker than the MT/R and it seems to be missing chunks here and there. By all means, I am not doing any kind of hardcore wheeling. Loudness i do not mind b/c afterall...they are muds!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I have the BFG MTs and I would not buy them again. The sidewall is much weaker than the MT/R and it seems to be missing chunks here and there. By all means, I am not doing any kind of hardcore wheeling. Loudness i do not mind b/c afterall...they are muds!
well said.

Quick Reply: Cornfed Lift