Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cornfed Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say just save your money. Start saving now and hopefully in a couple months you might have the money to do the andy setup. If that's what you really want, then why spend money now, to just spend more money later. I understand about wanting to mod your 4Runner right away, but if you do it right the first time then you won't have to worry about it later on down the road.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Well, it would be a LONG way down the road...I really need to focus on school so I don't want to get a full-time job, I'm doing computer work on the side now and its helping me pay for rent and such.

ASUrunner, how old are the coils? If thats for a pair and they aren't too old then I might be VERY interested!

Sounds like I'll be doing the spacers in front with coils in the rear. I think Jason said the fronts alone were around $165, $180ish shipped and then $75 for the coils if I get them from ASU...all around not a bad deal!

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

The only part I can talk about is the front... I have the 3" spacers up front with OME and the ride is softer than stock. I glide over the speedbumps. Until the rears with AALs - then I hop all over the place.

I really don't think those people that say spacers give a harsher ride really know what they're talking about.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Very true Tacoma Dude, my ride definately isn't harsh. its stiffer than stock, but i like that a lot.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have Bilsteins up front? Maybe that's why you're stiffer?
My ride isn't stiffer than stock at all...
Old 11-04-2005, 12:54 PM

i have billy's up front with ome coils and a 1" cornfed spacer. i'm not running an aftermarket bumper. the spacer helped level things out and my ride is firmer than stock. i've had this lift on since 2000 and am itching to try bamachems lift so i can clear 305 mtr's. body lift is a last resort for me.

my rear setup has the bil's and ome coils. all in all, i think it has a better ride than stock.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I put my bilsteins on about 6 months before I did my lift. Made the ride a lot more firm, but thats the way I wanted it. After putting the cornfed spacers up front, I did not really notice a difference in the ride quality. I don't have to complete kit (OME 891s in back) but I love the way it handles both on and off road. I say if you dont have the cash for the tundra setup, go for the cornfeds.
Just my $.02
Old 11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

I would like a less firm setup than what I have right now so here is what I'm thinking about doing, selling my front bils, getting some OME's, going with the spacers in front and then OME coils in the rear and see how I like the stiffness back there, if its too stiff then I will replace the rear shocks with some OME's.

Sound like a good idea?

The biggest tire I want to go for now is 285, and to answer Jackson's question I would be going with BFG M/T's so I would be changing from a street tire to the M/T's so it sounds like I should expect a 2-3 mpg drop.

All in all, sounds awesome to me!

What do you all think?

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

As for labor, with being in an apartment complex and not having many tools I asked my local shop what they would charge to swap out rear coils and they said about $60, all in all, not as bad as I was expecting.

I bet it would be the same to install the front. So, the labor expenses aren't too bad...now I just gotta find a way to get me some new meats so I can do all of this at one time.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gimme some more on the setup that I mentioned above and see what you guys think.

Keep in mind: No hardcore off-roading, just trail rides, camping, only need to be able to crawl over small stuff that may be found on the way to a campsite or on a simple trail ride and I PREFER a softer ride over a firm ride since most of my time is on the street going back and forth to school.

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

OK well...I ordered the front spacer kit with diff drop. I figured, the concensus was go ahead and get em and then adjust the stiffness via new shocks later on if I don't like the ride. So the front is taken care of for now, I am talking with ASUrunner about this OME's that he has for sale and if the current guy he is talking to about em decides its a no go then they're mine!

Still give me some input on this setup as nothing is set in stone yet!

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 PM

Is there anyone down there around Arkansas that can help this guy install this stuff?? Can we say YT Wrenchathon? I know if i were down there i'd be helping.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think so...I've looked, not many. If I can get the rears done at the shop for only $60 then I should be able to get the front done for close to the same I would guess...that works with me.

We'll see!

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I don't think so...I've looked, not many. If I can get the rears done at the shop for only $60 then I should be able to get the front done for close to the same I would guess...that works with me.

We'll see!

Fink
Front is a little more work than the rear. Definitely a little more work for sure. But i'msure it wont be much more. C'mon Arkansas YT'ers... someone help this guy.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe I can get some of my buddies from the shop to come to my place and help me out...I know some of em.

Fink
Old 11-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

We'll see!

Fink
The front is more labor because you have to pull the spring off the strut assembly and then put it back together. You'll need a spring compressor. Some on the board take off the strut assembly and have a shop take the assembly apart and put it back together for minimal cost. Then you can just install the strut, which is pretty easy.

BTW, the rears are cheaper b/c you don't have a strut assembly in the rear.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. But depending on when I do the install I might be without a car for a while, hmm. Maybe I'll ask the shop how much it would be for the front and then figure out whether I want them to do it or do what you suggested.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it! Like I said the front Cornfed spacers on the way along with the diff drop and then I am waiting to hear from ASUrunner on the coils to see if I can snatch em up!

Fink
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. But depending on when I do the install I might be without a car for a while, hmm. Maybe I'll ask the shop how much it would be for the front and then figure out whether I want them to do it or do what you suggested.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it! Like I said the front Cornfed spacers on the way along with the diff drop and then I am waiting to hear from ASUrunner on the coils to see if I can snatch em up!

Fink
The install should be no more than 2-3 hours tops for front and rears.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:01 AM

Yeah but that's if everything goes perfect and you're moving pretty quick. I always end up taking much more time than that. And you have to account getting out your tools... cleaning stuff up.. etc. I would say it would take about 4 hours.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:23 AM

yeah, 4 hours seems right, took us about that. One hour of that was driving over to a shop to get the front struts put back together. the guy used a wall mounted compressor that was made for Mcphearson struts, but he got it to work for mine. I gave him 40 bucks to do it for me after he said not to worry about it. Took about 45 minutes total for him to do it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
Yeah but that's if everything goes perfect and you're moving pretty quick. I always end up taking much more time than that. And you have to account getting out your tools... cleaning stuff up.. etc. I would say it would take about 4 hours.
Right, if you do them yourselves. He's taking them to a shop and if the shop is about making money, they'll finish within 2-3 hours for sure.

Quick Reply: Cornfed Lift