Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Is a cool air intake worth it? 00 Toyota Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why do you suppose the deck plate cost you power?
Is because hot air from the engine is getting in there?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Why do you suppose the deck plate cost you power?
Is because hot air from the engine is getting in there?
Exactly. the stock setup pulls the air from the fender which is nice clean cool air.

With the deckplate you are pulling air from the engine bay which is hot "dirty" air. It sounds a lot better though so some still want to do it, more power to them, not like these trucks are fast with or without it.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Makes sense. Thanx
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Go turbo and dont look back. Cost will be about the same and the performance of the turbo will be far better. Just got to pick the right turbo setup.
If a turbo is a good way to go, what about a super charger? I know there is a pretty decent price difference between the two and they draw power in different ways, just wondering why you suggested a turbo and not a super charger.

Last edited by Cameoman53; 03-24-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cameoman53
If a turbo is a good way to get raw power, what about a super charger? I know there is a pretty decent price difference between the two and they draw power in different ways, just wondering why you suggested a turbo and not a super charger.
Actually the price difference is hardly any at all depending on how you buy each of them.

Far as why I recommend turbo over supercharger, Having driven and raced both, the turbo comes out ahead hands down. The first thing people say though is LAG! It is highly overrated, Size the turbo right and it will have hardly any noticeable lag, particularly on an Auto.

The Turbo will also make a lot more power setup for setup and you can turn the boost up on the turbo to get even more if you want it. A supercharger is pretty limited in that regard compared.

In the case of the 4runner in particular the TRD supercharger is simply not that impressive IMO. It turns the motor into what it should have been from the factory IMO. Toss on some meth injection and smaller pulley and it makes ok power but nothing great.

A turbo will make the same power at less boost and easier. It produces far cooler intake air temps then the supercharger.

It really comes down to what you want out of it, if you just want a quick bolt on power boost for a daily driver and don't really care about overall power, then get the supercharger. It is simple to install and gives you a nice boost, makes the truck tolerable to drive.

If you want to get the most out of it and want some real power at the cost of some custom work, get the turbo.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 AM

If a turbo is a good way to get raw power, what about a super charger? I know there is a pretty decent price difference between the two and they draw power in different ways, just wondering why you suggested a turbo and not a super charger.
A turbo is a great way for raw power especially over a super charger and are more efficient. With a turbo you can stomp on the gas and have it kick in lots of extra power or you can milk the gas peddle gently and stay out of the turbo and keep your mpg's up.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Actually the price difference is hardly any at all depending on how you buy each of them.

Far as why I recommend turbo over supercharger, Having driven and raced both, the turbo comes out ahead hands down. The first thing people say though is LAG! It is highly overrated, Size the turbo right and it will have hardly any noticeable lag, particularly on an Auto.

The Turbo will also make a lot more power setup for setup and you can turn the boost up on the turbo to get even more if you want it. A supercharger is pretty limited in that regard compared.

In the case of the 4runner in particular the TRD supercharger is simply not that impressive IMO. It turns the motor into what it should have been from the factory IMO. Toss on some meth injection and smaller pulley and it makes ok power but nothing great.

A turbo will make the same power at less boost and easier. It produces far cooler intake air temps then the supercharger.

It really comes down to what you want out of it, if you just want a quick bolt on power boost for a daily driver and don't really care about overall power, then get the supercharger. It is simple to install and gives you a nice boost, makes the truck tolerable to drive.

If you want to get the most out of it and want some real power at the cost of some custom work, get the turbo.

I did notice you said (Size the turbo right and it will have hardly any noticeable lag, particularly on an Auto.) so is lag something to worry about in a manual?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Texas: what you think about the rotrex supercharger compared to a turbo setup?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

I did notice you said (Size the turbo right and it will have hardly any noticeable lag, particularly on an Auto.) so is lag something to worry about in a manual?
Nah, with the right turbo you won't have lag issues with either setup. The auto is just easier since it is never below ~2200rpm for the stock converter or ~3200rpm for a high stall like mine at WOT.

With the manual the only lag you might feel is a little from a dead stop but this is not a bad thing per se, the supercharger will just lite up the tires if WOT from a stop anyways so you will actually be faster from a traction perspective with the "lag".

Originally Posted by CISCOKID
Texas: what you think about the rotrex supercharger compared to a turbo setup?
I would not waste my money on a rotrex, A turbo of a smaller size will make more power and spool faster. The whole point of a supercharger is instant power whenever you want it, make your motor act like a larger motor. The rotrex gives you all the lag of a big turbo in that you have to wait to redline to get full boost, without the gains. Worst of both worlds.

I have yet to be impressed with a rotrex dyno over a properly built/setup turbo setup. Then you have cost, the Rotrex will generally cost more too boot.

The only supercharger I would use for a performance build would be a twin-screw but even then I would still prefer a turbo 98% of the time. The roots is a nice option for minor gains in a daily driver/OEM'ish package.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM

i put my aftermarket cold air intake and i have noticed both power and mpg increases
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM

If you want power, k&n/afe, at the cost of a motor is not worth it. Also cold air intake? You mean the one that sits on top of the motor under the hood and sucks in all the hot air? Sucks things as large as a honey bee or fly through? Marketing is all that are good on those products.