Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cold morning troubles: battery and transmission related

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had this same problem for the last week. My car was real hard to start, sometimes it would take several tries and then I'd back out in reverse fine but in drive the engine would rev but the car would barely move for like 5-10 seconds and then it'd be fine. Long story short I replaced the battery, and problems solved. So don't worry, that's probably all it is...not the tranny.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Your were right. I replaced the battery and the transmission works fine now when starting cold. So they were related. My thoughts are that whatever electronic aspects there are that control the automatic transmission, these weren't getting their required juice until the alternator was able to charge/compensate after a minute or two. Maybe I'm way off, but it's interesting. Thanks for the input JimiJams.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Once you get your rig started, the battery shouldn't affect how it drives.

I've been having a similar problem to with my Taco hesitating when I first start driving it on cold mornings. Thought it was a tranny problem, maybe a diff problem, but couldn't pinpoint it. I opened my rear brakes today and it turns out the dumbass that I paid to fix my rear axle seal put the pad retracting spring in backwards so the spring rubbed the self-adjusting wheel (yet another reason to just do it yourself, do it right ) But, after today, I think the the brakes were way out of adjustment because of the rubbing spring. Possibly your shoes could be out of adjustment and dragging on the drums? Mine would usually "unlock" after a short distance, but it would cause an initial hesitation.

Also, living in AK with the cold temps, park with your e-brake OFF at night. Old grease or any water in your brake cable can freeze and make the brake stick. Usually it will unstick with a little driving but can cause drag that maybe only your lower gears can overcome?

Last edited by 4x4taco; 01-03-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM

I have the same cold weather tranny issue. When I shift to drive in after the truck sits in the cold it doesn’t creep forward like normal. It's ok after a few hundred feet. I think perhaps an issue related to cold tranny fluid or the real axel seals leaking and sticking the rear drums? Very interesting to hear about the illogical battery correlation. I agree it doesn’t make sense but my battery is old too. Although the battery is still functional it's not starting as good as it used to. But of course it is 5 degrees outside as well. I'm starting to think there may actually be a connection between a dying battery and the sluggish drive off. I keep my 4R in a garage and it still doesn’t take off like normal. Either the battery, cold tranny fluid or leaking axel seals? Other ideas. If I figure it out or have anything to add I'll be back here.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Could have been a bad/blown cell in the battery too - there is still continuity between the cell, registering ~12V, but the cranking power (Amps) is greatly reduced on the overall output, which would explain the tough starts. Battery to tranny makes no connection in my mind...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A deeply discharged battery will load up the alternator on start up and this will drag on the engine. Add that to cold tranny fluid and cold P/S fluid and you may have your answer. Voltage may also be off for a minute or two while the battery is really sucking amps and that may mess up the ECU's ability to call for a shift. Put it in Low or Reverse and maybe the ECU doesn't have to think (check speed sensor, TPS, process), the gear call is forced. Obviously above is WAG.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM

this is what i would do, you in some really cold temps wear you live.. i would get a black&decker 1-2 amp battery trickle charege from walmart and plug it in every night..

damm cold weather will put a big hurting on a battery..

if your battery is weak the alt. will not charge, because its not a generator.. the alt need power from the battery to make power.. a generator will generate its own power.

with lower power you are affecting your solenoid's in your transmission because they are not getting the proper amps to operate the solenoids to control the pressure in your valve body.

not that cold atf won't cause this problem too. that's probely why you saw a diffrence with a new battery...

spending a few bucks for magnet heaters for your oil pan and tranny pan, will allow oil to warm up alot faster on those cold mornings..
Old 01-30-2010, 01:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a great tip for you guys complaining about starting your truck in cold weather. What weight of oil are you running? 10w-30? That's a lot of your problem right there. Sure your battery may be weak, but it's trying to turn through wax at that temp. Run 5w-30, even 0w-30 if the temps don't get too high during the day, and it WILL make a night and day difference to how well your vehicle starts. I'm kind of surprised nobody bothered to mention this. Oil pan heaters don't do a hell of a lot in the cold, you end up with half a litre of decent oil. Coolant heaters (AKA Block heaters) will make a good amount of difference. Leave them running for 3 hours before you start.

Honestly, I can leave my truck outside for a week in -30c, and it'll start up instantly. No hesitation, nothing. (That's with 5w-30, and a new battery)

As for the transmission not driving properly, the exact same thing happens to the ATF, like was said above. I leave my truck out in the cold all the time. If it's like -30c outside, my transmission won't even move. Start your truck, and if it's having difficulty, just let it sit in park for a few minutes. The torque converter will start heating up the fluid due to the friction.

Last edited by annoyingrob; 01-30-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Here's a great tip for you guys complaining about starting your truck in cold weather. What weight of oil are you running? 10w-30? That's a lot of your problem right there. Sure your battery may be weak, but it's trying to turn through wax at that temp. Run 5w-30, even 0w-30 if the temps don't get too high during the day, and it WILL make a night and day difference to how well your vehicle starts. I'm kind of surprised nobody bothered to mention this. Oil pan heaters don't do a hell of a lot in the cold, you end up with half a litre of decent oil. Coolant heaters (AKA Block heaters) will make a good amount of difference. Leave them running for 3 hours before you start.

Honestly, I can leave my truck outside for a week in -30c, and it'll start up instantly. No hesitation, nothing. (That's with 5w-30, and a new battery)

As for the transmission not driving properly, the exact same thing happens to the ATF, like was said above. I leave my truck out in the cold all the time. If it's like -30c outside, my transmission won't even move. Start your truck, and if it's having difficulty, just let it sit in park for a few minutes. The torque converter will start heating up the fluid due to the friction.

well posted...
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 AM

FWIW update
I had the sluggish transmission problem in cold weather. When I shift into drive on very cold mornings the truck needs a lot of pedal to get going. I had the battery checked, it's ok. and no axel seal leaks gumming the rear drums. It's warmer now and the problem is gone!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 AM

you gotta let your truck warm up a bit. to allow the transfluid to warmup and build pressure in your trans pump and throughout the valve body..
Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM

wow, my old thread lives!

I never did figure out what was wrong with my battery, but its been working fine since then.

I diagnosed what was wrong with my transmission, but then I didn't do anything to it and the problem has cleared itself up on its own. One of my solenoids wasn't working properly so my rig was starting out in 4th gear. I would just shift it in to 1st gear and drive for a couple hundred feet and then shift back into drive.

Erich