Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Dr. in?

In my quest for improved mpg I have thought of a couple of things I would like to try. But my problem is I have the 4cyl 22re it's a 92 so I don't know which gen it would be considered. All of the mods I have seen posted deal with the 6cyl Deckplate, ISR and so on. Has anyone done any research and or write ups on how to do these types of mods on the older Trucks and Runners? Or is it just not worth it? I have seen alot of the guy's with the K&N intakes but was wondering if the deck plate, elbow removal, ISR would do just the same and save a hell of alot of money?
I did remove the intake elbow from the airbox that comes from behind the head light, (can't see how a S turn followed by a 90* elbow would be efficient at moving air), but I haven't run long enough to see if there is a difference. If you guy's have any thoughts or suggestions I am all ear's, I mean eye's.

As far as the Tailgate up/down query, I have not seen any improvment with it down or up. I drive 96 miles rnd trip to work every day at hi-way speeds and don't see any improvment with it up one week and down the next.

Sorry I tend to ramble on
Old 03-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by furthur
DocZ, Nice write up on the isr mod. I would like to do this, but does anyone know about the legality, emissions wise? I have to pass the inspection, here, every other year. I could just return it to stock config. for the test, I suppose, but that adds another hassle.

thanks,
John
Here in Oregon, late last year, I went to get my truck smog checked. I left all my mods in place and passed with flying colors. They didn't even blink during the visual inspection. Not to sound smug, but I think my ISR pipe looks factory. It must because they didn't even pause during the under hood inspection. I even had the DeckPlate open.

In Oregon, for OBDII cars, they do not run the cars on a Dyno for the smog check. They simply plug in an OBDII Scan tool and if you have no codes, you pass. According to them and the way that OBDII is designed, if all your sensors and systems are working correctly, you CAN'T have bad emissions. All Pre-96, non-OBDII cars still have to run the dyno.

I hear that Washington uses this system now as well. Oregon was the pioneer for this program. I know that several other states were also working on implementing this. It's pretty neat.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 03-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is the Dr. in?

Originally posted by PirateFins
In my quest for improved mpg I have thought of a couple of things I would like to try. But my problem is I have the 4cyl 22re it's a 92 so I don't know which gen it would be considered. All of the mods I have seen posted deal with the 6cyl Deckplate, ISR and so on. Has anyone done any research and or write ups on how to do these types of mods on the older Trucks and Runners? *snip*
In our tech section, there are several write-ups or mods you can do to the 22RE for better performance, etc.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z