Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Claiming Wheeling whoopsies on insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I don't wheel my truck much I don't know where that came from. I take it out alot but I don't do hardcore dent making stuff. I freak out at a scratch. It's not that bad I just want my truck back into the shape it was in a year ago before I brought it back to the states and started hanging out with my hometown hillbilly buddies
Old 12-23-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I filed a claim on my M3 when I hit a pothole and two of my 19's were bent, an airbag deployed, and the front bumper was damaged. The airbag deployment was convered under warranty believe it or not, but the insurance company paid for the wheels and the bumper repair. That's why we have insurance, to insure our vehicles are restored to the same condition when something wrong occurs. You don't need a collision and a police report to file a claim. The adjuster will want to see the car for sure, and you have to tell them what happened. If you have a good history, a small damage incident is not going to raise your premium. Collisions where your insurance company has to payout someone elses claims (auto and injury) is when the underwriters are going to get you.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like yourself UK do not belive in scamming people and will not hurt others for my own petty gains. I also have an expensive full coverage policy on my 4Runner, and my cousin Steve is my agent. He has helped me get the most discounts I can through good student rates, stear clear and defensive driving classes and other things. He also is great at explaining complicated things like insurance to me.

As he has told me, my policy insures my car from DAMAGE, not just accidents. If a drunk hits it while its in a parking spot, or if I hit it 100 times with a hammer, I pay the deductable, and the insurance pays the rest.

Will my rates go up, maybe. But they also might not because I have 1 claim in a little more than 3 years. Claims and rate increse is all handled on a case by case basis. If you have some scratches, I say oh well, fix them yourself and they will look OK till its time for a whole new paint job. If you roll over or smash up a whole side. Its time to cash in on all those monthly payments you have been making.

When you look at it, car insurance is like a savings account. You pay in every month, and sometimes you withdraw big time. But then, you need to restore the accounts value by making bigger payments for a while. Hope this helps a bit.

Lamm
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
What will they say when you tell them you were wheeling? UK
This is where the idea of you Wheeling came from!!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:34 PM

It all depends on your policy what they will cover and what they will not. If you were just off squirling in the woods you may have a problem with some companies. Just like if you were racing at a track.

The key here is a legal term called "motor vehicle in transport". This means that the vehicle was being used to transport people or goods from one specific place to another. So, if you were driving off road to get from one place, say your home, to another, say a specific campsite, you should be good to go. The vehicle was being used to transport you and your gear to the campsite. In that case the vehicle is in tansport.

Now if you were off road competing in a mud bog event, you maybe on your own. So, when you make your claim word it in such a way that puts your vehicle in the transport mode and not some off road recreational fun in the mud type of thing. Basically the same rules apply for the police when investigating accidents off road. No matter what, it is not a reportable accident unless the vehicle was in transport. If you were drag racing at a track and flipped it over a 100 times, don't call the police because they will not be interested. Most insurance companies use the same rules.

Now with all that said, there is a TTORA named David Hale. He has been on the Tough Trucks show a few times. He was wheeling into a campsite on his first off road event after building this awsome rear bumper rig with a rack to carry a buch of heavy stuff, like jerry cans and then some. Well he got to the campsite and the guys asked him why his truck was bent like a banana. The weight of all that stuff on the bumper caused the frame to bend in the middle separating the cab from the bed.

He put in a claim saying he was on the way to the campsite and they put a whole new frame under his truck.

Good luck on this and do let us know how you make out and the specific questions they ask you. Also remember never lie to them. If they catch you in one lie you are done and will drop you for attempted insurance fraud. You will not get insurance from anyone else.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
Good luck on this and do let us know how you make out and the specific questions they ask you. Also remember never lie to them. If they catch you in one lie you are done and will drop you for attempted insurance fraud. You will not get insurance from anyone else.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Real good advice. Remeber the golden rule?!?!?!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent info guys! I had one small claim of $600 two years ago where my truck took a joy ride on it's own... ya if you leave it nuetral use the E-brake. I guess I will just have to call the insurance people and let em know what happened and if they decline well..... remember this "If you wanna play you gotta pay"