Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check engine light MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieleephd
check the code first it may actually be the o2 sensor that is part of the issue with a lean code.
well the code it gave was p0171. I been told that most likely its the maf sensor. Even though there is a chance that the same code could mean o2 sensor. But i think itll be best for me to try with the maf and if it comes back on then replace the o2. What do you think?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nuke1105
well the code it gave was p0171. I been told that most likely its the maf sensor. Even though there is a chance that the same code could mean o2 sensor. But i think itll be best for me to try with the maf and if it comes back on then replace the o2. What do you think?
Dude, step away from the Tacoma!

Take it to a mechanic. It will be cheaper than blindly replacing parts, and from what it sounds like there is a higher chance of it actually getting fixed.

Both the MAF and O2 sensors are not black boxes, and with the right tools they can be tested for proper operations in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by DailyDrive; 10-04-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
Dude, step away from the Tacoma!

Take it to a mechanic. It will be cheaper than blindly replacing parts, and from what it sounds like there is a higher chance of it actually getting fixed.

Both the MAF and O2 sensors are not black boxes, and with the right tools they can be tested for proper operations in about 5 minutes.
Interesting........I dont think toyota forums were created to tell some to send the truck to a mechanic.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 AM

Well sorry, but you do not have the tools to troubleshoot a modern vehicle with electrical control components. You can take the expensive route, trying it yourself, or the cheap one, having a pro fix it.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not uncommon for the air filter and air box intake to get a little wet when washing the engine. As soon as you start it up that can suck the mosture and some dirt with it through the MAF and foul it.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Well sorry, but you do not have the tools to troubleshoot a modern vehicle with electrical control components. You can take the expensive route, trying it yourself, or the cheap one, having a pro fix it.

I appreciate your help. But Im going to replace the MAF sensor. Cuase the problem started right after i pressure washed the engine. Just like the guy above me posted. Anyhow, if that doesnt work then ill take it in to the shop.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM

The tool in question is not expensive, an ODBII reader, about $50 online. Unless you are going to fail inspection soon because of the check engine light, you can safely drive for a little bit while the reader gets to you in the mail.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke1105
I would not throw money at right yet either way check the code clear the code

P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1

check the air filter run seafoam through the tank clean the MAF, drive wait do not throw money at it. I needlessly put a new maf in mine at least I know that now. totally different issue.

you can clean the o2 sensors as well this is cheap. Bank 1 = front O2 sensor if I remember right.

Last edited by eddieleephd; 10-04-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieleephd
Bank 1 = front O2 sensor if I remember right.
Bank 1 is one side of the engine, bank 2 is the other side.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 PM

So i found a very loose connection on the intake after the maf sensor. I tighten this thing up and hopefully that will get rid of the check engine light. If not then i will remove the maf again, clean it with alcohol and a q-tip, remove the o2 sensor and clean that with electronics parts cleaner. If that doesnt do the trick im going to light my truck on fire!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM

The way this is going, you are going to need to replace those parts for sure, even though neither is probably broken now.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM

The way this is going, you are going to need to replace those parts for sure, even though neither is probably broken now.
I cant afford to pay a shop 80 bucks for a diagnostic of whats wrong with my truck. Plus the cost of parts and labor. I figured since im going to keep this truck for a long time, i might as well figure out how to fix this thing myself. I have some skills but i am not a pro. For example a couple months ago my TRD headers came lose and skrewed up one of the gaskets. So i went down to the dealer bought a 150 dollar trd gasket kit, removed the headers and replaced all the gaskets myself. It took about 8 hours to complete the job but a local toyota mechanic said he charges 500+ just to replace headers. So im trying to do the same thing here, save money and learn how to do repairs on my truck. Understand?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM

When you are learning, you have to make good judgments as far as what advice online is good, and what is bad. I guarantee you that a huge portion of content online is created by high school kids with their first car. If you ask me, using a q-tip to clean the MAF is a bad idea. Some solvent from an aerosol can, and some compressed air is as far as it should go. So is cleaning the O2 sensor, would not do it at all.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Yea Daily Drive. Not to sound like mean or come off the wrong way but please try and be a little more helpful and also if he takes it to a mechanic your talking a minimum 60$ a hour for him to mess with it. Or a new MAF sensor for 70 bucks. From what I can tell and from my experiences if the MAF screen and internal components are fouled or are blackened then it is performing less. If they are severely fouled then the part is reading incorrectly thus giving a code. Try replacing the MAF sensor and see where you get from there. I would get one from a junk yard first to see if that fixes it. There only about 15 bucks around here.

Good luck.
-Mark
Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM

Also cleaning the MAF and parts with a Q-tip is completely safe as long as you do not apply to much pressure and you do not leave fragments of fiber in the part itself.

And This is also my 19th car btw that I've owned and worked on Just wanted to add that on. Plus my family owns a mechanic shop
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerteen
Also cleaning the MAF and parts with a Q-tip is completely safe as long as you do not apply to much pressure
Right, but the problem is unless whoever is doing that repairs swiss watches as their other job, the chances of ruining the MAF are much higher than not. And because of that, this is a BAD advice!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM

So i took my truck down to Aamco. They have a free check engine diagnosis. The tech said Its a bad MAF sensor. So I got the sensor replaced there. They charged me 100 bucks for the sensor and 40 bucks labor. My total cost was head aches + 140 = Hopefully no check engine light anymore. Daily Drive well I finally forked out the money and listend to your advice to have a pro do it. But i have another question for you........I think this problem was caused due to pressure washing the engine OR it was caused due to over oiling the TRD Air Filter element. If I over oiled the element, could that affect the new sensor? Or do you think that any extra oil has now been sucked thru the engine or driped out of the air box (i did have a filter element oil drip the day after i cleaned and oiled the filter)? I cleaned and oiled the filter 3 weeks ago. Im just concerned that this might also damage my new MAF sensor if the filter is still heavily oiled. What do you think? By the way thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM

If the light does not come back, and the MAF was indeed somehow bad (before the whole cleaning thing), and was simply a coincidence with the power washing and oiling, I would be very surprised. Over-oiling is bad for the MAF (or oil filters in general), but it doesn't do any damage that a gentle cleaning of the MAF can't fix. A hot wire MAF doesn't go bad from a little oil. It will not be accurate though, and throwing codes is certainly possible, if not guaranteed.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 AM

Ok. Well I'm praying that this will have solved my problem. I don't want to spend anymore money on sensors. I'm saving up to buy a 7th injector kit. Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Check engine light came back on this morning. Taking the truck back to aamco. So now that we are sure it's not the maf do you think they will tell me it's the o2 sensor?

Quick Reply: Check engine light MAF