Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can worn out shocks/struts cause vibration above 65mph? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tested it this morning and the vibration is still there regardless of if I'm pushing the accelerator or not. I got up to 75 three different times, let off of the gas, and it still vibrates.

However, it seems as though it takes 20-30 minutes in the morning for it to really start vibrating bad?!?!?!? What in the world?

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Found these on Ebay a little while ago...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWDVW

They are 265/65/17. Will these tires look too small and goofy on my truck considering mine now are 265/75/16?

I may buy these.

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you lose about an inch of tire and gain an inch of wheel, so they should be nearly the same height as the ones you currently have.

also remember that since you have new tires and wheels, you can get a pretty penny for them on ebay as well. you will get 90% or more of your money back by doing that. however, the 17" tires will be more expensive next time around.

also, it may not be the wheels and tires since they've been balanced numerous times and still hasn't solved anything... it could be an axle...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Andy,
I'm going to try to go ahead and swap with my friend tomorrow morning. I'm going to get my front end aligned again this afternoon because it is just slightly off. He hasn't routinely aligned his front end and I doubt he rotated them regularly, which leads me to believe that he's probably got some vibration due to uneven wear. He doesn't have a whole lot of tread left but I figure that doesn't matter if they are worn evenly. I sent him an email this morning asking if he has any of the severe vibration that I do (he did not have his balanced on the Hunter machine with Haweka plate when he bought them). I don't want to do the swap and then get a false indication because his aren't properly balanced, worn unevenly, etc. Would it be worth it to go to Limbaugh tomorrow morning and have them examine the axle?

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
email sent...
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM

Hey Matt, read the whole thread and came across rugerm44's reply about spinning the tires on the vheicle. In the old days, 1980's, they used to have an adapter you can attach to the face of wheel and a "spinner" that spun the tires. The operator would adjust the center portion of the adapter to find out how many weights they needed. What was great about this technique is that they could spin the tires pretty fast and while adjusting the weights you could actually SEE AND FEEL the vibration come and go! If you can find someone with this balancing equipment I would think you could at least pinpoint whether the problem was coming form the front of the rear. You said that Toyota told you he could see the passenger seat "fluttering". Normally, if the steering wheel shakes, then it's the front wheels and if you feel it in you seat then it's the rear.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

So if I'm feeling it in both places then it's the front and the rear......
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Like I've mentioned, this didn't really start until I got the bigger tires when my Bridgestone H/Ls wore out. They were 265/70/16.
Matt
Were those the same ones I have on mine? Not the factory ones, the aftermarket HL.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 AM

So if I'm feeling it in both places then it's the front and the rear......
Sorry Matt, I must have missed that. Now I'm not sure... but maybe it's still worth a shot. At least you can SEE AND FEEL the vibration while the procedure is being done. And this is only the fronts, one wheel at a time. You should be able to tell if the problem IS in the front. I've had wheel vibration problems before on another car so I know how frustrating this is. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Andy,
I'm going to try to go ahead and swap with my friend tomorrow morning. I'm going to get my front end aligned again this afternoon because it is just slightly off.
I keep seeing you say this over and over again. I have never in my life heard of anyone getting an alignment every 3k miles. You get an alignment when something is out of alignment, or maybe after an accident or hardcore 4 wheeling. I don't think I understand what it is that you're doing that you think you need to have an alignment done every 3k miles. I bought my truck with 128k miles and had a guy hit me which knocked my alignment off. The accident was over 30k miles ago, and my truck will run a straight line for a freaking mile without even slightly meandering to one side. It doesn't vibrate the slightest bit, and I don't rotate my tires or get them balanced every 6k miles. my shocks are starting to go bad, and that's the only thing that shows any negative wear on my tires. They look choppy. But even so, I can still take it up to 100mph before it starts to vibrate. I'm running BigO 31"x10.5".

I'm sorry, but someone tell me if I am completely wrong. It just sounds extremely excessive.

Last edited by ricky; 07-29-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM

come to think of it the shaking got worse when i rotated my tires........i wonder if this could be my wheels......... I'll try swapping it from front to back. .argh this sucks!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

I get my alignment done at every oil change which is about every 5k-7k miles so that I don't get any uneven wear on the tires. Perfect example for you.....I had the alignment done about three weeks ago. That night, I went out with a buddy of mine downtown. When I left the bar, I went over a VERY rough, bumpy section of road. Basically the section of road was shot to ˟˟˟˟˟. Ever since, the truck will pull slightly to the left. That's why I do it. It's not totally out of alignment right now, but it is enough to notice and if I can notice it then why not have it aligned when I've got a lifetime alignment policy? I got almost 80k miles out of the set of Bridgestone H/Ls that I had on the truck before these, and at that time I was getting it aligned even more often than now because I was using regular oil and getting my oil changed every 3k-5k miles. It may be excessive, but it makes me feel better.

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

I just went and test drove Chad's 1997 4Runner with damn near worn out Cross Terrains on it. Some vibration, but miniscule compared to what I've got. I don't get it? He bought these tires three years ago at NTB so they were balanced with something other than the Hunter machine and they didn't use the Haweka plate. He is not a tenth as meticulous as I am about the maintenance of my truck and he has not rotated them regularly or had them balanced regularly. And it doesn't shake at all like mine does. It was night and day driving his and then getting in mine and getting on the interstate to come home. As long as I'm below 60 mph or so, it's cool. I start getting above 65 and bring on the shakes!!! I just talked to the service manager at Limbaugh and he is at a loss. He doesn't know what to tell me to do, but did think it was a good idea to do the swap. Not only to drive mine and see if the vibration goes away, but also to drive his and see if his then has vibration. The fiance is not happy that I want to go do this in the morning because we've got "so much to do for the wedding." But.....I think my freakin sanity is more important at this point. It's really driving me freakin crazy!!! I'll let ya'll know what I discover, unless I get totally overruled by her which I don't see happening.

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason B
Were those the same ones I have on mine? Not the factory ones, the aftermarket HL.
Where these the ones you had and got 80k on??? Did I tell you to get those? I can't remember.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=season
Old 07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Jason,
Yes, my previous set of tires were Bridgestone H/Ls and I did get them because of your recommendation. I got like 78k out of them and wanted an A/T tire, so that's why I chose the Revos because of the good luck I had with the H/Ls and the great reviews for the Revos both on Yotatech and TireRack. I ended up with Cross Terrains because I thought that the Revos were causing the vibration and was told that the Cross Terrain was the best I could buy for ride comfort, durability, etc. I was wrong.

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Oh and by the way, Chad can't do the swap tomorrow because something has come up. I'm about to give up and just live with this ˟˟˟˟˟ and trade the truck as soon as it's paid off at the first of the year. Thousands of dollars in mods including a kick ass stereo system down the drain........

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 06:25 PM

Have you thought that your rotors might be slightly warped? That would only cause front tire vibration though.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Volcom,
Rotors were warped and were replaced about 4-5 months ago. That's not it, but thanks though.

Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM

I know this sounds silly, but has anyone thought about a bad wheel bearing. My wife's 4runner had vibrations, replaced tires, rebalanced them and alignment. Come to find out the bearing was bad, never made a sound(no howling or sqeeling)just a bad bearing. replaced bearing and now smooth as glass(until my wife ran it thru pot hole central), now need to be rebalanced! Just a thought!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Trx125,
Are you from Eufaula? That's where I grew up and where my parents live. Anyway, I mentioned wheel bearings to the service manager at Limbaugh and he said that if they were bad, that I would hear them, which I don't. So....you're telling me that you had a bad wheel bearing and it didn't make a sound? What year was her 4Runner?

Matt

Quick Reply: Can worn out shocks/struts cause vibration above 65mph? HELP!