Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can somebody please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can somebody please help

I have a 2000 4runner 3.4 v6 2 wheel drive that the timing was off by two teeth. The timing was off because I replaced the timing belt water pump and all the gaskets on the front of the motor. I used the bolt to spin the motor around and when I was trying to get it loose again I was using a cam pulley wrench to hold the cam pulley while trying to re-loosen the bolt and it jumped a tooth. Instead of going all the way around I just spun counter clock wise the one spot not knowing that I had to go around clock wise . Anyways I drove it for a while and I decided I was going to fix it this morning and in the process of pulling the belt off it all jumped. So I spun the harmonic balancer shaft one full turn to where the mark lined up again then I turned both the cam pulleys two full turns before the marks lined up again. So my question is how do I make sure that I have the timing correct be4 I put everything back together. If someone could and would possibly help me out it would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 06-07-2020, 02:44 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts
You have to line up the Crank and 2 cam gears, if its an OEM belt it will have reference dots and direction facing outward, you need to rotate the cams a bit ( it won't hurt to go slightly CCW) to get the tension just right so that when the tensioner is released everything will fall in place, you can use zip ties to hold the belt on both cams. Its a good idea to reference the original belt and transfer those marks onto the new belt, but aligning everything is also fine, rotate CW twice or 4 times and make sure the timing marks are still all good.

there is a timing belt sticky and a FSM sticky

http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...imbel/inst.pdf

Last edited by Malcolm99; 06-07-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
After you install the new belt and rotate the motor to check alignment don't worry about the marks on the belt.
The marks on the belt will not line up again after you rotate the motor.
You are only concerned about the cam and crank marks.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (06-07-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Repetitive

Allright b4 I ever thought about putting the belt back on I pulled the #1 cylinder spark plug rotated the crankshaft about ten times trying to decide if the top dead center was top dead center wondering if I was on a compression stroke I finally settled with putting the mark on the crankshaft sprocket (whatever the real name is) even with the mark on the block then I spun each camshaft sprocket clockwise until both of the marks on the sprocket were lined up with the marks on the back cover at 12 aclock then I put the new belt on with the two lines lined up with the marks on the sprocket and the back cover again as well as made sure the crankshaft was still on it's mark. Everything lined up and looked right. B4 I try to start I decide to spin the crankshaft clockwise a few times just to see if everything is going to spin or rotate smoothly to make sure nothing was going to stop it from spinning. So far nothing has hit or felt like it was obstructing the turning of the motor. Been spinning it over and over again now for at least a good two hours or more trying to get the belt line to line back up with the cam sproket mark's. The only thing that I am not exactly sure about is if I was top dead center in the # 1 cylinder on a compression stroke or not. I think I might should repull the tensioner remove the belt and double check that I am on a compression stroke, but how would one know for sure if it's on the compression stroke or not. I truly appreciate y'alls feedback thanks
Old 06-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
While rotating the motor if you put your thumb over the spark plug hole you can feel the pressure build as the piston approaches TDC.
It's a non interference motor so you don't have to worry about valves hitting pistons.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:46 PM

Thanks to those who helped

I appreciate all who helped got everything put back together and started it up seems good to me so far. I don't know why, but I always second guess and doubt myself when it comes to timing on anything with more than one cylinder whether it is a twin cylinder lawnmower or a 4runner as messed up as it is I will almost talk myself into believing that I am in the process of straight ruining whatever it is I'm trying to get the timing done on. Anyways thanks again for the help. What a relief off my chest thanks again peace out for now.