Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

brush guards

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brush guards

so i'm thinking about getting some brushguards for my 4runner. for the front (grille and headlights) and rear (taillights). i've read around, and it seems manik and waag seem to be the popular ones. but i'm still not sure on a couple things...

1) do they really do all they say? like offer real protection off road?

2) i heard they make things worse if you get in an accident? i guess this means an on road accident. true?

3) i have the factory skid plate on my 4runner. will any brushguard fit with this?

4) any suggestions on which brand is the best? or where to shop for the best prices?

i know something like the ARB bumper would be the ultimate in protection, but i'm not too into that; i'm not that hardcore of an offroader (plus it's too much cost for this college kid). i'd say i stick to the the light-moderate stuff. maybe down the line i'll want that, but not now that's for sure. i might also get the extra lights in front with the grill guard but who knows. thanks for the advice.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:50 PM

A brush gaurd is almost purely cosmetic ... although it may help save a shopping cart from denting your bumper at the mall, but that is about it.

In an accident it would be safer to have NO brushgaurd on your vehicle than to have it. I have seen pictures of accidents with and without and most times there is not only damage from the accident itself but extensive damage from the brushgaurd banging up the vehicle.

Like Darren said it will take away from your departure angle when offroading as well.

I would suggest doing a search on it, I think you will find most people are against them. I would also recommend going with a real functional BullBar like ARB and TJM (TJM is my preference due to ease of installation when compared to ARB). However with either one you will have a much more capable set up than a brushgaurd.

The factory Aluminum skid plate is also cosmetic (although I think it looks pretty cool ) But I would take it off if I was going to go wheeling. No, I don't know for sure if it will work with a brushgaurd but it seems like it can be done.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2002, 05:59 AM

I have a Manik. I got it for cosmetics and to hold my PIAA 520s. That is it. I had a factory toyota one on before and was hit in the front corner. It did help the crash. A jeep cherokee hit me and the grille guard (headlight cover part) stopped the jeep from causing internal injuries (to the 4Runner, not me). In that case it helped, but front on, I don't think that it would. I know for a fact that if you get hit in the front hard enough, nothing, not even an ARB or TJM will help. You will get messed up either way. I have see it happen. I know that the ARB style does help in smaller accidents, but not the big ones.

If you get a Manik style grille guard, there is no way you can get a winch on it. #1, it is not big and there are no mounts. #2, if you use the winch, you will rip the grille guard right off the Runner no sweat. The grille guard is mounted directly to the frame and the skid plate, being factory, will not interfer in anyway. Check it out. I like my grille guard, but I don't offroad. :fireman:
Old 11-01-2002, 06:47 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

I had a Manik on my 96, and personally I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Sure it looked cool, and it gave a place to mount my lights, but it caused my entire dash to shake like a $%$@ &$%#. I go over a RR track and it felt like my dang dash and front end was going to shake off. And yes it was mounted correctly, I actually took it back twice. They checked it twice, and basically said I'm going to have that. I never had a wreck with it, so I can't help there. Although I pushed some one with it. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:39 PM

Hmm..this is something I'm looking into next year so I'm glad you asked.

I haven't made my purchase yet, but if money is not a concern & usefullness is, I would go with an ARB or TJM.

1.) I don't think they'll offer you much protection.

2.) I think any collision with the front will cause quite a bit of damage, brush-guard or not. If your brush-guard was not denting in your 4Runner, the car running into you would anyway.

3.) As far as I know, any brush-guard that says 'bolt-on' will fit with your existing factory skid plate.

4.) No valuable opinion.

As a follow-up question to those who know, do ARB/TJM bumper replacements all need to be welded on?

Al
Old 11-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

The TJM will bolt right on...the ARB will require some cutting of the frame rails, however, from my understanding nothing too drastic. Personally, I ordered an ARB Sahara Bar, after the third month of waiting for it I cancelled and got a TJM which I love.

Mike
Old 11-01-2002, 11:33 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Since I am getting an ARB next week and if you are still in the market for the Manik, I will sell it to you for $150. Shipping extra. Let me know.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:38 PM

wats a manik? $150?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:32 AM

Manik for $150 seems like a great deal.

Thx for the info people, I think I'll end up going with TJM myself. I like the look & durability, now that I know it's bolt-on. With the fogs, like on Phong's 4Runner, it looks awesome.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, here's some ignorance for you. I see a lot of police cars with what could be called a brush guard. It's really a really big bummper system. You guys know what I am talking about. Anyway, why can that work but the brush guards we get won't? Is there any way to weld a brush guard on so if you hit somthing it actually works?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:49 AM

The police car ones are generally more heavy duty, like an ARB or TJM bumper versus a brush-guard. Plus, they have the budget for repairs of any kind, unlike some of us.

Seriously though, the brush-guard will work to protect you a bit of course. However it's not the defence piece of choice for heavy duty batter-ramming and collisions hehe.