Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brighter dome light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the fun of it - I'll throw in another idea...

I mounted an Osram Copilot 5W halogen light with the flexible arm just above my rear-view mirror. It's NICE! Super bright and can easily be aimed at whatever I need to look at.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

hey baja thats nifty!

But I do have a question though... did you add an extra screw to secure the cover to the mirror mount? i'm not sure i would trust mine to cary the weight... and also how did you run the wire to power it? was it across the front of the roof liner od did you go back to the center light? thanks Aviator
Old 12-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I mounted an Osram Copilot 5W halogen light with the flexible arm just above my rear-view mirror. It's NICE! Super bright and can easily be aimed at whatever I need to look at.
if i was riding shotgun i would think i'd be at the dentist's office.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:04 PM

BajaTaco, Where did you get that light and how much was it? I saw that posted on that camping message board you're on. My wife likes to read while driving which is I think is the same reason why you installed yours. How hot does it get? Does the fuse for the dome support it without blowing? Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

That IS a nifty idea. I might have to try that on the pickup.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Re: hey baja thats nifty!

Originally posted by aviator
But I do have a question though... did you add an extra screw to secure the cover to the mirror mount? i'm not sure i would trust mine to cary the weight... and also how did you run the wire to power it? was it across the front of the roof liner od did you go back to the center light? thanks Aviator
Yea, I didn't trust that little cap either, especially when I have to tug on that light stem a bit when I am aiming it. So what I did, was just get longer screws than the ones that came with the light, and I ran them through the cap, and then through the mirror mounting body as well, so it is very solid. I think I have more pics if you want to see them. My stock dome light switch lever broke off, so instead of buying a new one from the dealer, I just removed the switch and bulb, and then tied the wiring for the halogen light into the wiring that was in the dome light. I ran it above the headliner to the mirror location.

Originally posted by Highland Runner
BajaTaco, Where did you get that light and how much was it? I saw that posted on that camping message board you're on. My wife likes to read while driving which is I think is the same reason why you installed yours. How hot does it get? Does the fuse for the dome support it without blowing? Thanks
HR, it doesn't get hot. The fuse for the dome supports it just fine, as it is only 5 watts. Yea, it's perfect for my wife because she likes to read on the road trips, and with this light, she can aim it right on her book, and it doesn't interfere with my night vision at all. I can also aim it sideways at my CD jacket that is on the passenger visor, to pick out a CD in the dark, or just wherever I might need light - it's pretty handy. I liked it so much that I got 2 more that I am going to mount in the camper on each side, so my wife and I both have reading lights that we can use from our sleeping bag, without disturbing the other person (in case they are sleeping).

I bought the ones that I have from Ebay. I can't remember off-hand how much, but it was a really good deal. I think the best price I saw on the web was 4x4 connection http://www.4by4connection.com/osharlig.html at about $24.