Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brighter backup lamps for off road

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Brighter backup lamps for off road ((UPDATED))

I saw on another forum this morning that an article was in the "Cheap Tricks" section of the new 4Wheeler magazine for some good backup lamps.

I saw the mag at Safeway and wrote down the part #s.
It is for the black rubber housed tractor lamp like you see on the back of some off road rigs, and work trucks such as a tow truck.

The bulbs in those are not the brightest.
The mag a part # for a brighter lens you pop into the rubber housing.
It is a 100 w bulb, and mucho brighter.

Here is a break down:
Napa part # 50-620w-3
You need two of them which is the housing, and a 50 watt lens/bulb.
$8.99 each.

Then for the 100 w len/bulb, the part # is 4509.
They go for $14.88 each.

Total price is $47.74.
Not much more than I paid for my not so bright lamps I have back there now.

Only problem is how to mount.
They use a bolt as the stud, and you would have to drill into the hitch receiver stock down there.
That is where I have my present lamps with two way tape held on.

If I drill a hole, the bolts are not long enough to go all the way to the top to put the nut on the shank.
Hmmm, how to do this?

Can't find any tractor lamps online, but they kind of look like the ones on Thorton's rig.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a pretty good idea. I have trouble with my backup lights mainly when it rainy out. They do not throw enough light, or enough that is sufficient to back up with. I will have to check them out. The only problem is that I don't have a trailer hitch. I would have to drill right into the bumper, and I don't know if I want to do that. Any ideas? :fireman:
Old 10-25-2002, 01:34 PM

I can get a lamp that is made as an additional after market reversing lamp that is not spot light type for about $4. i think it has a 50 watt bulb with a wide dispersement lens , they are made to be legal for street use over here and i will pick one up and get a few pics of it, I onle know this as i had to buy a new fog lamp today as i broke the last one when i went off road last time ,i was in a rut and it got a little too close to the ground and it smashed, and they are all but identical , and as for mounting it i was going to bolt it to the underside of the bumper where the old one was but it will just get smashed again so i was thinking about using a rubber muffler mount go give it a bit of a sporting chance.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had originally mounted my backup lights here, but I found that the glare inside was too much and I couldn't see out well unless I rolled down the rear window.

So I recently moved them to the top of my roof rack where they are zip tied down.

I ran the wires similarly to Corey's route, that is, along the outside in the rain gutter and along the roof rack.

These are 55w walmart specials that I picked up for $15 (for both). They're yellow, and probably not the brightest lights in the world, but it doesn't matter because they're backup lights and I only need them to illuminate 60' behind me.

If you don't have a hitch, you can always drill holes in the bottom lip of the chrome bumper. The holes are hidden so for those of you who are averse to drilling holes it should be alright. I wouldn't recommend this if you do ANY off roading though, as you you will likely rip them off and bend up your bumper.

You can also double sticky tape or velcro the lights to the top of the roof somewhere as long as the lights aren't too big. If they're too big the wind might blow them off. (edit) For that matter, I guess you could tape them or velcro them to any horizontal surface, like the chrome bumper. I have a feeling that a vertical surface won't work because the adhesive will eventually come off.

Steve

Last edited by Robinhood150; 10-25-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mod fever lives

'Tis alive and well in Western Washington
Just got back from Napa with the lights.

I did not spend the extra $30 for the 100 w lens.
I hear these 50 w lens are just like a driving lamp or headlight, so I will see how this works out.

Here they are.

This where I may mount them.

Not sure yet. They are 5" round, and not super small.
They will hang down a little, but then I don't drive up steep angled stuff usually while off road.

May mount them later to the hitch channel.
Then when I get my custom bumper, I'll have to come up with a whole new way again to mount them.

Should have these on tomorrow if all goes well.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Mod fever lives

Originally posted by Corey

May mount them later to the hitch channel.
Then when I get my custom bumper, I'll have to come up with a whole new way again to mount them.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. The beauty of a custom bumper is that you can just drill a hole anywhere and call it good.

BTW, did you start building the bumper yet? If you want I can send you some pics of my CAD design that will show what the interior will look like, that is, see through drawings. That way your builder can see how to make it. I've designed mine to be pretty easily built, just cut some steel in the saw and weld. Not as nice as schaefers or hersh, but similar.

Steve
Old 10-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Steve, go ahead and send the CADs.

Update on these lamps:
On the back of the lamp it says:
signal-stat 620.
Plugged in www.signal-stat.com
and they have a website.
It redirects you to www.truck-lite.com

Not sure what type of rear bumper I am going to go with yet.
I may just get his rear tube one, and have some side tacked onto the inside of the wings so it will hide the fugly area that is exposed when our bumperettes are taken off.

On his Wife's Taco here, you can see their sheet metal looks nice under the sides where the bumper is:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/badland/DSC00051.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/badland/DSC00052.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/badland/DSC00053.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/badland/DSC00054.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/badland/DSC00055.jpg

Yeah, our metal under there is never exposed with our bumpers in place, and it's pretty ugly under there on the 2nd gens.
A simple plate tacked on will hide that.

He's got these bumpers made up already, so it would be easier to go with this design.
I showed him Mike H's rear bumper, but a lot of work goes into that, even before he added the tire carrior.

Have you seen these pics yet?
http://www.focusaz.com/Truck%20Photos/Bumper.html

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~thefo...earbumper.html

I like the design above before the tire carrior was added on.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I know what you mean, without the bumper it looks ugly back there.

Didn't see Mikes new pics with the tire carrier. There was a lot of TLC that went into his bumper.

The tube bumper looks good, but I think mikes, and schaefers style looks the best. I'm thinking of taking mine one step further with side bars that connect to my sliders and will protect the wheel well too. Same with the front, kinda like the ARB bumper pictures in PP.

I'll get those pictures to you later tonight, hopefully.

steve
Old 10-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, not sure what style I will go with.
It won't be until next year when I am ready to do it.

Just hooked up one of the lamps to my battery outside as it's dark already.
It's bright, but not quite as bright as one of my headlamps.
It will be much better with the 100 w lens, but this will be way better than what I have now.

Dang forecast is calling for rain tomorrow, but if not, I hope to have it done.
Kind of weather dependant on my mods here
Old 10-26-2002, 01:21 PM

Re: PIAA one

Originally posted by 91truckV6
this mod is way cool, I spent the bucks and wish I did not now but I have one made by PIAA, not being a PIAA fan ( way too much bucks and they lie about that 55 watts = 85 thing)

though this light has a cool wiring thing,

use a 3 position switch and a relay

switch up-light on,
switch center-light off
switch down light comes on when in reverse, (great in city parking lots)

I am sure you could do this too, dont forget the relay,

also change out the 1156 bulbs in the stock housing for 3497 I think stock is 25 watts and the 3497 is 35, not too hot for housing and or the wires, been using for almost 2 years now and works fine.
I don't get it, did you go out and get a light? Or did you just change the bulb in the backup lights? Thanks. :fireman:
Old 10-26-2002, 01:48 PM

Are these bulbs different? What makes them brighter than the regular ones? Wattage? Thanks. :fireman:
Old 10-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

We had some valuable info here on changing out your bulbs for better ones in the back, and the front.
That user decided to spam our board Sunday morning and was taken off the membership list.

Here is the info he had up on the bulbs:
1157 Brake Bulb replace with 3496
1156 Back up, Front Bumper turn signal, rear turn signal, replace with 3497
License, side markers etc 194 replace with 2825*
(Unless you make the front side marker blink then it needs to be amber, can get yellow 194s, but better and brighter with a Mercedes or Volvo side marker # 2827)
FYI
Dome is stock 3022
Map is stock 3175
3rd Brake light is stock 921
Old 10-27-2002, 01:18 PM

Just for your info. I went out and bought the 3497 light for the backup light and it does not fit. It is too big and the base is not right either. I noticed that the list says turn signals, backups and others to have the same number. They are not the same bulbs though. The backup lights are smaller than the break, etc. and they have a different base. Just for your info. :fireman:
Old 10-27-2002, 01:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ah shoot, so his info was bogus then?
Figures.
Corey
Old 10-27-2002, 03:05 PM

I was kind of leary about his info when he posted it. I mean really if it did work, wouldn't more people know about it? I was debating whether or not to pop out one of my bulbs and take it in to the shop and see how the bulbs compared, and if they looked the same I would get them. But since Btown already tried it, I guess we're some what stuck with little light with our trucks until we do the "tractor" light like you're doing Corey.

Thanks for the heads up Btown.

-Braden

Last edited by 91Runner; 03-07-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:50 PM

Why the heck did you feel the need to PM me "newguytoo" ? I simply posted my thoughts on this, and frankly I trust Btown more than I trust you Newguy.

And I don't see how Corey or any of the mods were "fueling the fire" as you put it. They did what needed to be done. I have never had a problem with J-Spec in my experience he's always been nice and helpful. It seems to me that you must of said something to him to get him pissed off. And also just in case you didn't know, this is a PUBLIC forum, and it's not the admin's or mod's responsibilty to "Protect you from potentially dangerous fanatics" From what you've said it seems like you'd be much more at home at the Pirate Offroad Forums (www.pirate4x4.com)

Just my opinion.

Also to keep this post on topic, how's the mounting of the lights going Corey? I'm trying to figure out where to mount some back up lights when I buy them, i'm thinking about doing what Steve (Robinhood) did by mounting them inside on the ceiling behind the rear window. Any other place i'd be afraid that i'd tear those little lights off

-Braden
Old 10-28-2002, 05:47 AM

Re: ok see photo

Originally posted by newguytoo

ok please see photo
Braden, thanks buddy! I appreciate the backup!

newguytoo, my back up lights do not have that base. That bulb is totally different then my back up lights. I took the tail apart last night and the bulb for my backup lights are all glass and do not have a metal base like that. The base is glass and all that the contacts are are little wires. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. The backup lights are in a little "pod" next to the license plate. If you take that off and take out the bulb, you will see that they do not match. I tried and they don't. I don't mean to be offensive at all, just letting you know that they don't work. Thanks though. :fireman:
Old 10-28-2002, 09:04 AM

I just went out to check out my backup lights, and they're exactly like what Ryan (Btown) said (I wasn't doubting you Ryan, I was just curious what they looked like because i've never had to change one )

hehehe all his posts are gone again. I don't mean to be mean or anything, but that guy has some problems I think. I mean last night he sent me a PM telling me I was rude, and asking why I doubted his "information" Like I said before, I Think that guy either came from, or needs to go to the Pirate Offroad boards, he seems like he'll fit in well there.

And Ryan, you've always been helpful to me, so I thought it was the least I Could do for ya

-Braden
Old 10-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah baby, it is done

Started in early this morning, and just finnished the write-up.
The write-up is in the Tech section under Off Road Enhancements.

Here is the direct URL.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/backup_lamps.htm

I hope I don't drag these while off road, but eventualy when I get me new rear bumper, they will be up higher.

One word, BRIGHT!
Old 10-28-2002, 01:29 PM
Away

Good write-up Corey!

Dr. Z

Quick Reply: Brighter backup lamps for off road