Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

#$*%*&!$(! Brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#$*%*&!$(! Brakes!!

I swear, I've had this truck serviced/inspected for brake problems 4 times in the last 10 months. This is driving me insane....
I just picked her up from my local mechanic (whom we know pretty well and have been dealing with for years) and he resurfaced my rotors, since I was starting to feel this vibrating and "lurching" while braking lately.
As luck would have it, it feels 3 times worse now that they've been resurfaced. The truck literally lunges back and forth while braking, especially downhill.
Is this normal for rotors that have just been resurfaced? Do the pads have to adjust to the resurfacing or something? This doesn't make since....any help would be great, thanks.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was replacing rotors at a rate of every 7-9 months. You can't resurface OR cut these truck rotors and get any longevity. The only way to go is to replace em.

I recently switched to Powerslot rotors and I hope these will last longer. Only had them on for a few weeks. I can tell you that they perform a BUNCH better than the stockers. I can actually stop now. No fade, no shudder, no theatrics.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I'm leaning towards replacing them. Problem is, I just spent 120$ to have them resurfaced (and to have them tell me my tie rods are bad) and it just seems odd that they would feel 3 times worse after being resurfaced.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

That sucks man. The 1-year warrantied rotors at Autozone are $58 brand new. I know its a little late, but if you need them that is another option. Rotors and PF pads on my 4Runner were about $170 shipped.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Christian, there's an Autozone right at the bottom of my hill so I'll look into that. I'll take her back to the shop tomorrow and see if there's anything he'll do, if not, off to Autozone I go!
Now if I could only find a good deal on tie rods....200$ a piece makes my wallet cringe.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
I swear, I've had this truck serviced/inspected for brake problems 4 times in the last 10 months. This is driving me insane....
I just picked her up from my local mechanic (whom we know pretty well and have been dealing with for years) and he resurfaced my rotors, since I was starting to feel this vibrating and "lurching" while braking lately.
As luck would have it, it feels 3 times worse now that they've been resurfaced. The truck literally lunges back and forth while braking, especially downhill.
Is this normal for rotors that have just been resurfaced? Do the pads have to adjust to the resurfacing or something? This doesn't make since....any help would be great, thanks.
If u do replace the rotor I'd have the tires rebalanced just to make sure. I had this problem on my last truck and the tires were just out of balance to the point it only showed up between 30-40mph and under moderate braking. weird as hell but the rotors lasted a hell of alot longer after that
Old 07-28-2004, 07:48 PM

Now if I could only find a good deal on tie rods....200$ a piece makes my wallet cringe.
this guys selling tie rod ends for like $38 bucks a pair

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sort=3&rows=50
Old 07-28-2004, 08:08 PM

Not trying to knock your local mechanic ( don't know him), but a lot of things can go wrong when you have rotors turned. And, if the mechanic is not careful with each step of the process, the results can be bad. For instance, if the rotors were not mounted on the lathe properly, they could have been cut wrong. If the two mating surfaces between the rotor and the hub were not cleaned properly, the rotors will not run true even if they were cut correctly. If the wheel lug nuts were overtorqued when the wheels were remounted, that could warp the rotors. If the rotors were overheated too badly before cutting and developed hard spots, they will never cut true. Going with new rotors will eliminate some of these possible problem areas, but not all. The mechanic still has to know what he/she is doing.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TechWrench
Not trying to knock your local mechanic ( don't know him), but a lot of things can go wrong when you have rotors turned. And, if the mechanic is not careful with each step of the process, the results can be bad. For instance, if the rotors were not mounted on the lathe properly, they could have been cut wrong. If the two mating surfaces between the rotor and the hub were not cleaned properly, the rotors will not run true even if they were cut correctly. If the wheel lug nuts were overtorqued when the wheels were remounted, that could warp the rotors. If the rotors were overheated too badly before cutting and developed hard spots, they will never cut true. Going with new rotors will eliminate some of these possible problem areas, but not all. The mechanic still has to know what he/she is doing.
Yeah, I won't deny that they might have been done wrong. They seem to be getting a little better though, the vibration has been going away. It's still there, but not nearly as bad as it was when I picked it up yesterday. Dunno how that works
A guy I work with told me that since my tie rods are loose, it may be causing a worse vibration now that I've had my rotors resurfaced. Is that possible?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
this guys selling tie rod ends for like $38 bucks a pair

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sort=3&rows=50
Yah no doubt tie rods are cheap items...HOLY CRAP $200 for tie rods , man they'd better be gold plated or something. Even $38 is a bit much, Kragen's brand are like $24, I know caz I busted one on my mom's car and I had to run out and get one quick.

[EDIT] Never mind, I see you have it listed as $38 for the pair...that is cheap.

Last edited by Mohamed; 07-29-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:47 AM

This has certainly been discussed before:
Toyota rotors are crap, and its absolutely worthless to turn a crappy rotor.

Get Brembos from Tirerack, less than $60 each.

On the other hand, if your rotors were refinished and you have immediate uneveness in braking, then there is a good chance some grease or oil was on the rotors. This will burn off after a while and braking will get smoother.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I won't deny that they might have been done wrong. They seem to be getting a little better though, the vibration has been going away. It's still there, but not nearly as bad as it was when I picked it up yesterday. Dunno how that works
A guy I work with told me that since my tie rods are loose, it may be causing a worse vibration now that I've had my rotors resurfaced. Is that possible?
If the tie rod ends are badly worn, they could make the vibration worse, but I would think they would have to be REALLY bad.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM

unhappy, is that Brembos with oem pads
Old 07-29-2004, 02:12 PM

I use Brembos with Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads. Works just fine for me.

OEM organic pads would also work. Its the factory rotors which are crap, the factory pads aren't bad, except they generate quite a bit of brake dust.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM

I got my slotted Brembo rotors from RaceConcepts.net for $170 and I also got Performance Friction pads from Autozone and on top of that I changed the brake fluid to Motul Racing 600 which has 585/421 boiling points.

No more vibrations.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:11 PM

hm.. my rotors vibrate like crazy, I live on a steep hill and don't want to pay for more crappy brakes. So I will give Brembos a try
Old 07-30-2004, 03:36 PM

don't do the oem pad. get ceramics. or at least get an antidust pad

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
unhappy, is that Brembos with oem pads
Old 07-30-2004, 03:41 PM

and the brembos are not drilled or slotted correct?
Old 07-30-2004, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
and the brembos are not drilled or slotted correct?
You could get them plain or have Race Concepts put slots or drill them for you.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Think I will stick to plain ones

Quick Reply: #$*%*&!$(! Brakes!!