Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bilsteins vs OME?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilsteins vs OME?

I know that this is a hard-core Bilstein forum, but does anybody have any EXPERIENCE or knowledge (FACTS) on the OME shocks compared to the Bilsteins? I know that the Bilsteins give a very stiff ride and good off-road performance, but I've been told that for long distance (ie 50-100 mile) stretches of hard washboard road combined with highway comfort, the OME's are a better choice. Opinions?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

I have the OME comfort shocks in the rear and they're fine--for me. I went with OME because of the springs, not the shocks, though I suppose one could do that (Bilstein shock) combo as well. I haven't heard of anyone doing this though.

Last edited by Darren; 11-21-2002 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:09 PM

Did you stay with the stock springs in the rear? And how does the SAW ride? Is it rough on pavement?
Old 11-20-2002, 12:11 AM

I have absolutely no experience with OME shocks, but I've had a set of Bilsteins installed on my '91 4Runner for a little over a month now, and I love them. They are by no means too stiff (if you want really stiff shocks, get a set of KYB Gas-A-Just, I had those and you'll bounce along any bumps you hit offroad, and some advice with KYBs wear a helmet because you WILL hit the ceiling quite a bit while offroading) I got back from a weekend in the desert a couple weeks ago and I was very impressed by how the Bilsteins handled. It's a little under a hundred mile drive to get to where I go wheeling in the desert, and that's through windy mountain roads, and along straight dippy roads and the Bilsteins are absolutely perfect, they absorb a lot of the bumps in the road, they almost completely take away body roll around corners, and they handle absolutely awesome offroad.

I have absolutely no bad things to say about Bilsteins, then handle great on and offroad, the firm up the truck's ride (they don't make it too firm, or too soft, they're just right) and I most certainly would not say that Bilsteins are very stiff, yes they are stiff; but they're not overly stiff and I think that they are perfectly suited for our heavy SUV/Trucks.

As soon as I finish breaking in my new Xterra, the first thing I'm going to buy is a set of Bilsteins for it (the stock shocks on it are just a bit too soft) and I have no doubt that they will do nothing but improve the ride quality and handling of my Xterra; just like they did for my 4Runner.

Good luck with it.

-Braden
Old 11-20-2002, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dana Pereau
Did you stay with the stock springs in the rear? And how does the SAW ride? Is it rough on pavement?
Wow! Look at all the OME users responding here! :rolleyes: I know I can't be the only one. Anyway . . .

I have the OME HD springs in the rear.

The SAWs are great. I have the Tundra valved ones which I would recommend over the Tacoma valved version. They literally soak up bumps/rocks like butter compared to stock.

Rough on Pavement? I assume you mean like on bumps and what not, but no. The front is noticeably softer than the rear though. I have no experience with anything else, so I'm not qualified to give an opinion other than compared to stock. I'm happy, and this set up gave me what I was looking for--keeping the undercarriage a little further away from big, tasty rocks.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:40 AM

I have OME HD springs and shocks. They're pretty damn stiff, but I have the rear loaded down with 100lbs of gear or something, the ride is excellent. As far as the SAW's I also have the ones with Tundra valving due to my custom bumper and winch. These suckers really do soak up all the huge bumps and ruts I happen to come across.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:05 AM

Bilsteins for the aft and I don't think they are too stiff at all; they take bumps rather nicely and disperse them immediately. I know a few guys running OME and they have no complaints with the "Comfort Series" shocks and coils, but according to the feedback I've heard, the OME "Heavy Duty Series" shocks and coils are too stiff unless you have (or are going to have) a heavy custom rear bumper done to weigh down the rear.

The only real complaint I have heard about OME is that were not actually designed for the 4Runner but its Aussie cousin the Prado (which is slightly heavier) and consequently the so called lift they are suppose to provide is undependable (for the front that is, the rear seems to be fairly accurate).

I have also heard they will ride better when OME coils and shocks are matched together ... it just makes sense anyways because they are designed to work with each other. I don't know of anyone who didn't change their coils to OME when they changed their shocks (I'm sure there are guys out there though).

If you are looking to lift your rig with them, I would look somewhere else. Like I mentioned above, they seem to be undependable as far as lift height for the front is concerned, and a lot of times people have to add spacers up front to even it out anyways, so why not just go for Bilsteins and Spacers in the first place? If you add a spacer to a shock that is designed for a heavier vehicle than yours ... than you will really know the true meaning of a harsh ride and poor articualtion!

But if you are not looking for lift, and just looking for a better than stock mushy ride then either OME or Bils would be a good choice.

If you are going to have a custom rear bumper and tire carrier made for the rear than I would recommend their HD series shocks and coils for the rear (but then again, according to data it may also be too stiff) otherwise stick to the comfort series.

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers

p.s. OME/ARB is supposedly (FINALLY AFTER YEARS OF CUSTOMER BITCHING) developing coils for 3rd gen 4Runners so check with them before you make your purchase to see how long its going to be before they are released to the public.

Last edited by Beowulf; 11-20-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dana:

A few months ago when I was trying to decide which shocks to go with, I too came down to deciding between Bilsteins and OME. The main reasons why I went with the Bils was the recommendations from the members on this and the other board as well as an email I rec'd from the West Coast Sales Manager at OME who said that the shocks they sell for the 4runner here are actually not optimized for 4runners (as Beowulf said). I had the email somewhere on my computer at home but I couldn't find it. However, Steve Schaeffer posted it on ODW many moons ago after I fwd'd to him so you might want to look there.

Having had the Bils installed for over 2 months now, I can safely say that the ride has improved in terms of cornering/handling and bump absorption (is that a word?). You won't get the Escalade ride, but really, our 4runners weren't designed for that cushy soccer mom SUV ride anyways.

I will have to say that tires will soften the ride for you if that is what your are looking for. I had a Michelin LTX equipped 4runner and my current stock 4runner with the Wranglers. The LTX tires really cushioned the ride much better than the Wranglers.

Hope that helps,
Bob
Old 11-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, but us OME users get 3/4" (or is it 1/2"?) more travel than you Billies as Steve's recent research has found.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Darren,

Yeah, that's a definite plus on re OMEs. But please don't get me wrong---it wasn't meant as a criticism, just passing on the facts.

Bob
Old 11-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Away

One thing to mention is the Bilsteins come with a LIFETIME warranty where as OME only seems confident enough in their product to offer a 2 Year warranty...

I've read about people wearing out OME shocks in a matter of a few years, but have NEVER heard of anyone wasting a set of Bilsteins.

Something to think about before spending your money.

My .02
DR. Z
Old 11-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
But please don't get me wrong---it wasn't meant as a criticism, just passing on the facts.

Bob
Oh I know. I was just kidding, thus the "!"
Old 11-20-2002, 02:38 PM

Before I purchased my OME shocks and springs (standard) I was able to ride in a 4Runner with Bilsteins and thought it was a bit too stiff for me. The dealer said the stiffness was due to the shocks being new and the Runner still had stock springs(who trusts a dealer :rolleyes: ).

After alot of contemplating and research, I decided on the OME's and couldnt be happier. I do alot of traveling and the OME's give a great ride on road. They are stiff, but not as stiff as the Bilsteins. With the limited off-roading (alot of wash-board roads) I do, the OME's have also been great. It seems the bigger the bumps the smoother the ride. I think to get the most out of the OME suspension, you have to get both the shocks and springs.

One good point for the Bils is the warranty, but by the time my OME's wear out there will be something better on the market that I'll want to upgrade to.

Anyway, I'm sure that you cant go wrong with either Bils or OME, but my vote is for OME.

Its your call, good luck!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:49 PM

Lifer, Did you go with the comfort shocks (C) designation, or the regular ones? I have 2002 Limited and almost all of my offroading is very long (50-100) mile washboard roads- which model shocks and whcih modle springs did you go with?

Also, I am like you in that I love warranties, but I would never trade a softer ride everyday for two years, for a stiffer ride for life!

My wife and I are empty nesters and our hard core 4-wheeling days were back in the 80s- now we want good offroad performance, but a luxury ride, hence the purchase of the limited.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Dana Pereau
Lifer, Did you go with the comfort shocks (C) designation, or the regular ones? I have 2002 Limited and almost all of my offroading is very long (50-100) mile washboard roads- which model shocks and whcih modle springs did you go with?

Also, I am like you in that I love warranties, but I would never trade a softer ride everyday for two years, for a stiffer ride for life!

My wife and I are empty nesters and our hard core 4-wheeling days were back in the 80s- now we want good offroad performance, but a luxury ride, hence the purchase of the limited.
The OME setup I have is the comfort/standard setting for the shocks and springs.
Sorry, I cant give you the model numbers because I cant remember and cant look at my docs because I'm currentely overseas. :rolleyes:
I'm sure someone here will be able to help with the #'s.

Do what I did, try to find a 4Runner with Bils (call around to the dealers), test drive it and see what you think. Remember that OME will be a little bit "softer" than the Bils.

Your last paragraph hit the nail on the head, that was my reasoning in the purchase of the Limited (just wish I would have gotten a 4WD) and the OME suspension.

I know its a tough decision, especially with no "real-world" experience. It took me months to make my final decision.
Just take the dive, its only money!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:49 PM

Has anybody had the OMEs in front and replaced them with the SAWS- wondering if the saws are stiffer than the ome comforts-
Old 11-21-2002, 05:11 PM

2002 4Runner Limited- considering doing this in phases:

NOW: 1. starting out with OME comfort shocks front and rear

NEXT YEAR: 2. Replace the rear springs with OME springs, and replace the front OME shocks with SAW coilovers.

My losses will be: $120 for the two OME's I throw away on the front.

The benefit will be I can experience the OME Shocks, then when my first set of tires goes, and I am ready to lift, I will be able to go to the SAWs and OME rear springs, acquiring the necesary lift to go to 285 tires instead of the 265s.

In addition, by not going to the OME springs in front, (since OME does not have a front spring for the 4runner) and by waiting, OME may have a front spring by next year, or I'll be able to add a winch and just go to the SAWs.

Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
I have the OME comfort shocks.
Panzie.

HD Shocks and HD Springs all the way baby!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

What, you gonna do 'em after all?

I'm not picky about ride quality, mostly because I have no idea what anything else feels like and thus, could care less almost. I'm not sure what a little stiffer shock has to offer me personally anyway. The SAW's are like a pillow compared to the comfort shocks. Why have any more of a desparity between front and rear?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:38 AM

Darren,

Are you saying that the SAWs ride softer than the OME comforts? Have you had both or ridden on both?

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs OME?