Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Big Trouble & $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Trouble & $$$$$

Welp today was one hell of a day. Earlier as I was doing some off-roading I nailed a pretty good sized rock in my front end close to the drivers side tire. Well I didn't think anything of it. So as we're going down the road my temp guage just suddenly shot up and I hear this knocking sound. So the car dies and I get out and behold, my radiator has a crack in it. So all in all I think I need a new radiator and possibly a new motor.

Welp wish me luck on this one. I dunno if I can get this covered or not.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:45 PM

where'd you hit the rock? on the skid plate, bumper, or somewhere else?

and that sucks!! just tell them that some kid on a bike ran into yuo and cracked your radiator and insurance will probably cover it. hehehehe

another idea... just throw some duct tape on it!!!!! if you cant duck it, @#$@ it jk of course, please do not go put duct tape on your radiator......

good luck gettin that fixed.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:46 PM

Wow. Big bummer. Did'nt that beefy skid plate protect your radiator? Good luck on the fix. If you shut down after overheating, maybe you just need a new headgasket.
butnut
Old 11-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Away

You play, you gotta pay!

J/K

Sorry you hurt your truck.

Good luck and hope it doesn't cost and arm and a leg!

Dr. Z

PS Rowan's right about the duct tape.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:10 PM

butnut, thats what i was thinking about the skid plate. how'd you get in there and break your radiator?? must've hit HARD...
Old 11-11-2002, 06:20 PM

yeah i slammed it pretty good. that skid only covers so much of that radiator. like a little bit is left unprotected, not enough to make you worry, but enought to F something up!!! i slammed down pretty hard in the front. i was crossing through a creek when it happened.

Butnut, but would it knock like that if a headgasket is blown??
Old 11-11-2002, 07:59 PM

best of luck mate.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by NerfHerder-97SR5-
best of luck mate.
I need all I can get!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:32 PM

Jay, might you have any insight on what could be the problem?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:14 PM

Hey Danny. I found it easier to search for the reason I gave my head gasket possibility than to write it out. Your motor will make ungodly noises before it quits if you push it with no coolant. The headgasket will be the the least damage, cracked block or heads...$$$
Sudden Loss of Coolant and Engine Overheating Incidents.[ALL/ALL] posted by Steve Ringlee on
Wednesday, 26 January 2000, at 7:01 p.m.

Sudden Loss of Coolant and Engine Overheating Incidents. We recently surveyed the Brickboard and Swedishbricks lists for incidents of sudden loss of coolant and engine overheating. Here are the results from around thirty instances worldwide among Volvo drivers:

-Hose clamp failed; lower radiator hose parted from radiator outlet neck All the coolant suddenly drained out of the radiator,leaving only the coolant in the block. Engine required a new headgasket.
In most of the incidents, drivers did not notice the loss because the coolant was pumped or blown under the car. In most cases, the first evidence was engine noise, slowing of the car, or other signs of serious engine damage.

-Heater hose fractured due to aging and internal crack; catastrophic loss of coolant

-Heater hose chaffed against block, rubbing through and failing; catastrophic loss of coolant

-Radiator plastic side tank fractured; catastrophic loss of coolant

-Radiator hose split due to aging and internal crack. Upper: loss of coolant; lower: catastrophic loss of coolant
In almost every case, the lack of an "idiot light" caused drivers not to notice the loss until too late. When the driver finally looked at the temperature gauge, it was invariably far into the red zone, indicating serious overheating. In almost every case, drivers attempted to drive to a convenient destination such as home, a gas station, or a freeway exit. This extended drive usually led to further engine damage. The least damage noted (except in the last instance) was head gasket; in many instances the engine required replacement.
It's a general reference on Volvo problems, but you get the jist... The bottom line is, if you have a sudden loss of coolant, shut down, call it a day. New radiator-not too cheap. Busted hose-real cheap. Blown headgasket or motor...:mad: big buck$... good luck on the repair.
butnut

Last edited by butnut; 11-11-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Data..

How long had you driven with the temp gauge pegged?

With the engine cold... Starting it for a Brief moment.... Is there bad noises?

Jay
Old 11-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Jay

Um... because if there is... im sure the pistons overheaded and destroyed the cylinder walls and piston skirts.

If it sounds ok, but there is a rough run sympton, odds are the head gasket is popped.

Jay
Old 11-12-2002, 05:34 AM

Jay, I went out and started it this morning for about 5-10 seconds. I heard no noises. The engine sounded normal.

Also when I was driving it yesterday. I never noticed the temp gauge rise one bit, thats why I never stopped to check for anything. I only stopped when it started knocking & died.

Out of uncertainty I just went outside and cranked it up again for a short moment. No knocking was heard.

So if it is a head gasket, do you know how much they usually are to replace?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

no sounds or smoke

if there is no smoke or niose just refill the collant when you get it fixed and you should be good to go. (i may be wrong but i am a positive thinker) i hope there is no problem but i would change oil just incase(extream heat breaks down the viscosity and the oil may have saved the engine)
David
Old 11-12-2002, 10:23 AM

welp she's off to the stealer, woops i mean dealer. i checked the oil for signs of radiator fluid, but none was found. hopefully this won't put too big of a dent in the ole pocketbook.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Jay

It is possible the engine is ok.

You possibly only need a Radiator and a new thermostat.

Lets see what the dealer says.

Jay
Old 11-12-2002, 02:06 PM

Well here is the verdict. I went up to the dealership & they said it was just the radiator. No smoking came from the motor, so they said they don't think a head gasket is blown. The radiator is getting replaced tomorrow by the dealer. Its gonna cost me $450.00 :eek:

But here is the cool thing. The assistant service manager LOVES my rig. He said that the lift did void my warrenty, but he stated that if I ever had any probs with the CV's or anything just come to him and they'd replace them under warrenty!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:08 PM

Congrats! Broken radiator is definately a good prognosis for the symptoms you were explaining. 450 is steep for a radiator replacement however!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by data
Well here is the verdict. I went up to the dealership & they said it was just the radiator. No smoking came from the motor, so they said they don't think a head gasket is blown. The radiator is getting replaced tomorrow by the dealer. Its gonna cost me $450.00 :eek:

But here is the cool thing. The assistant service manager LOVES my rig. He said that the lift did void my warrenty, but he stated that if I ever had any probs with the CV's or anything just come to him and they'd replace them under warrenty!!!
congrats, good to hear. about your asst service manager deal, your are one LUCKY GUY!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Talking positive thinking

see!!!! positive thinking!

Quick Reply: Big Trouble & $$$$$