Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Belt Whine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrillah
I've had the same problem ever since I did some water forging, i'm going to try and tension the belts a little more. The belts were just replaced about a year ago so I'm guessing it can't be them....I've been following your posts and have found some good ideas.

The difference with mine is that it can only be heard at higher rpms....when its idle its totally fine. So again, i'm hoping mine is just a loose belt. If it was a bearing how would i know and is it a hard fix?
I don't know, but by now i think the bearing would have went if it was also where do you adjust the tension on the belts?

My belts were replaced a year ago when I bought it, when they did the timing chain the changed the belts so...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Do you have a haynes manual on it? I know it says in there, its hard to explain and I don't have the means to take a picture right now. Its basically a silver metal piece with a nut on top, almost looks like a clamp that you would use to hold down a piece of wood or something. I believe there should be one in various forms for each belt.

You had your chain replaced? You have the 3.4 right? I have the 2.7, and haven't heard of anyone having to replace their chain!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have the 3.4L
IIRC it mandatory for the earlier 3rd gens (96-98) to have the timing chain changed at 60K?

What is the power like in with the 2.7 in the 4Runner? What kinda Gas mileage do you get?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM

As far as I know, the chain doesn't ever have to be changed unless its making noise or something like that.

The 2.7 is not bad at all, gets a bit sluggish in 4hi and at highway speeds but basic wheeling and running around town, it gets the job done nicely. I get about 18mpg on average, i'm not complaining.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Well
I think I may have got the whine issued figured out thanks to
CJM and 91TPU.

My power steering pump I believe is going.
The sound is so much more pronounced now then ever when I steer.
Also somewhere around 1500-2000 RPM i feel a vibration com through the steering wheel.

So I guess suggestions.
Prices.
and Can I do this job myself?
How hard is it to do?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power steering pump shouldnt be that bad of a job for ya! I havent done one on a 3rd, but I've done a few on a 1st and several other makes.... Its a little messy, but not too bad. Dunno bout prices, just check with your local parts store. Difficulty wise shouldnt be too bad. IIR I'll go check out my 98 and see how hard it would be to get out. Should just be undo the belt, take off the lines (mess), then unbolt the pump and swap.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got nothing to lose Avy, might as well give it a shot.

Oh and I lied I stayed up a bit, night man.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
Well
I think I may have got the whine issued figured out thanks to
CJM and 91TPU.

My power steering pump I believe is going.
The sound is so much more pronounced now then ever when I steer.
Also somewhere around 1500-2000 RPM i feel a vibration com through the steering wheel.

So I guess suggestions.
Prices.
and Can I do this job myself?
How hard is it to do?
that sucks about the pump man...but i think its something you should be able to do in the driveway... and you should be able to nab on for a couple hundred bucks and then get some back for the core charge...

this is what came up on advance auto parts website
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...+Steering+Pump

have any other issues with the rig after you got back?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM

sounds like a pulley bearing going, that would be caused by deep water, water likes to eat bearings, they go on our kw's at work all the time, see if someone you can put the pump on an alternator tester, or some other kind of bench where you can spin it really fast and see if it is that, wouldn't want you to waste all that money. i was also wondering if your fan is stuck on, perchance, could be mud in the fan clutch making it stick.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91TPU
that sucks about the pump man...but i think its something you should be able to do in the driveway... and you should be able to nab on for a couple hundred bucks and then get some back for the core charge...

this is what came up on advance auto parts website
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...+Steering+Pump

have any other issues with the rig after you got back?
No other issues so far.
Just that whine is getting worse.
Also I noticed that it almost sounds like it is making a gurgling noise from where the power steering pump is..

Originally Posted by leonardator
sounds like a pulley bearing going, that would be caused by deep water, water likes to eat bearings, they go on our kw's at work all the time, see if someone you can put the pump on an alternator tester, or some other kind of bench where you can spin it really fast and see if it is that, wouldn't want you to waste all that money. i was also wondering if your fan is stuck on, perchance, could be mud in the fan clutch making it stick.
Fan spinning just fine.
I would think that would cause a horsepower change or a lot of wind noise if it was stuck on.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM

as far as the gurgling noise goes, can you get air in the power steering system? maybe that would be the cause of your whining issue, idk if it is possible, but if it is maybe it is that...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe it is air i don't know, the reservoir is full though.
Oh and side note, i will be getting the pics from Dave tomorrow to post up.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

New Update.
I will be taking her in soon because
1) Mom is sick and tired or hearing the whine in the morning
2) There are more issues arising.

I think I have more then just a whine issue now...
I am starting to feel a vibration in the power steering when I turn.
And a very nasty noise.
Kind of hard to explain.
But I crawled under the truck while it was running and turned the steering rod to see if i notice and there is def a noise of such coming and maybe a little grinding?

I notice there was a slight leak right at the top where the steering rod goed into the steering gear box.
(I believe I got that damage from my Jan 13th Trip...)

Is it possible that water has made itself present in my steering system?

If so, How hard would it be to flush and bleed the steering system myself?

I will post again when i get the diagnosis (cause that all mom wants to know, it seems she want the mechanic to find out what the problem is, then tell me, and I will proceed to order the parts for the repair)

I just wanted to get an idea of what you all think, and if anyone else has experience a similar issue.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

I read through this and I didn't see this suggestion. Have you totally ruled out belts noise? To do this, with the engine running drip a drop or two of water on each and see if that silences it or changes it....don't get water on anything else. I would rule that out first.

Toyota belts have a coating on them (felt like) that makes them quiet. Over time this wears off and they will start to get noisy. They are still fine, but they will drive you nuts. I have a real good Toyota mechanic who showed this to me on my 2000 4runner. Two days later I heard a Landcruiser making the same noise mine was. My Grandmother has a Camry that just started doing the same thing last week. My mechanic had me wait to change the belts until my timing belt was due, unfortunately my water pump started leaking before the timing chain was due.

When mine did it, I too thought the alternator was failing.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I read through this and I didn't see this suggestion. Have you totally ruled out belts noise? To do this, with the engine running drip a drop or two of water on each and see if that silences it or changes it....don't get water on anything else. I would rule that out first.

Toyota belts have a coating on them (felt like) that makes them quiet. Over time this wears off and they will start to get noisy. They are still fine, but they will drive you nuts. I have a real good Toyota mechanic who showed this to me on my 2000 4runner. Two days later I heard a Landcruiser making the same noise mine was. My Grandmother has a Camry that just started doing the same thing last week. My mechanic had me wait to change the belts until my timing belt was due, unfortunately my water pump started leaking before the timing chain was due.

When mine did it, I too thought the alternator was failing.
I did put belt dressing on it.
I think I still see the felt though?
I will try that.
If it is just the belt then it should be an easy fix.
I really try to take good care of my vehicles,
And I have been postponing this for so long.
Praying that it doesn't get worse...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well She went in today...
I wont get her back till Monday...

The issue...
A/C Clutch Bearing Went....
So there going to replace the bearing and clutch...
Some 600 odd dollars later....

I tried to convince mom to let me do it but meh, she would rather a professional...
Her dime...

Just a quick question, anyone know if there is a belt that will fit on that particular set up that is sized to compensate for not having an AC on there?

The reason I ask cause I was curious as to weather I could drive without having to have ac...
That back window down makes it nice to drive and the sunroof too so....
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 AM

Well She went in today...
I wont get her back till Monday...

The issue...
A/C Clutch Bearing Went....
So there going to replace the bearing and clutch...
Some 600 odd dollars later....

I tried to convince mom to let me do it but meh, she would rather a professional...
Her dime...

Just a quick question, anyone know if there is a belt that will fit on that particular set up that is sized to compensate for not having an AC on there?

The reason I ask cause I was curious as to weather I could drive without having to have ac...
That back window down makes it nice to drive and the sunroof too so....
couldnt you just run no belt, and then just carry the extra weight of the a/c system?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

couldnt you just run no belt, and then just carry the extra weight of the a/c system?
Powersteering is on that belt system so....
Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 AM

Powersteering is on that belt system so....
i assume then the 3.4 is a serpentine belt...so then alt would be on there too..my bad, im just getting so used to the older vehicles now that i have my 91
Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

i assume then the 3.4 is a serpentine belt...so then alt would be on there too..my bad, im just getting so used to the older vehicles now that i have my 91
No three sepreate belts, juest htat teh power steering is on that belt too,

The alternator is on a sperate belt and so is the fan IIRC

Quick Reply: Belt Whine Issue