Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

bad mileage...i THINK

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get 200 in the summer, and 180 in the winter.......

32" tires and 4.88 gearing = SUX!!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by KING
Ben, I understand how the fuel guage is not accurate enough to indicate where to fill up to. This was not what I meant.

What I meant was that if it takes you 12.7 gallons to fill up and you manage to drive 200 miles with those 12.7 by the time its time to re-fill, put in another 12.7 gallons and calculate.

Blah, forget what I ever said.

This is the little spreadsheet I have used for several trucks. This is for my 04 Taco. You can't get accurate MPG readings from one tank. It takes several or dozens. I track it all the time from the day I picked it up. Mostly because of work, mostly because I am anal and like to drive until I am on fumes just to see how far I can go.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Vehicle MPG Average.txt (962 Bytes, 190 views)

Last edited by Shiner5; 12-08-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Sorry, but I couldnt' resist making that dig. I was just havin fun...sort of...

When I first read that I spewed beer all over my keyboard....

Well the reason I asked is that my gas gauge is all messed up and is not consistent at all...it fluctuates all the way down to the "e". If you have seen these days on some cars they actually have a gauge that tells you your mpg...for example my BMW has this feature. The 4runner is new to me so I thought perhaps I was missing something. I can do the division but if you read the original questions I asked if there was a way to PRECISELY measure it. I certainly understand how to divide...I happen to be in a career that requires it often and daily. Oh yeah, sorry about the wasted beer.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM

I am going to change the Fuel Filter next.

The Stealership wants almost twice what my local carquest wants for a FF.

I can get an "aftermarket OE" part for 20 bucks at carquest. How important is it that I use the filter from the dealership/oringinal OEM parts, and if it is very important...why? Just trying to understand and learn...thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by firemedic
No that will not work, the gas gauge is not accurate enough for calculating gas mileage, you must calculateby using the method detailed earlier, ie. fill up, reset tripmeter, drive, refill, then divide the miles driven by gallons to refill = mpg.

Example from my last fill up-
tripmeter: 228.7
gallons to fill: 14.217

228.7 miles/14.217 gallons = 16.086mpg

my tires are ~9% larger than stock, so: 16.086mpg x 109% = 17.53mpg actual
Along with Firemedic said, using the fuel gauge is not accurate. Uphill and downhill, which affects the level of your vehicle, also makes it much inaccurate to read fuel gauge.
4th Gen 4Runner has mpg, driving range, and average speed reading. The drving range reading confuses me alot, but the mpg reading seems useful.
Fillup, drive, re-fillup, mileage divided by gallon are the way I did on other vehicle. I would suggest repeat this several times to get an average. It should be close.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we first got our '99 (only had it about 3 weeks) my wife came home and told me she could see the gas needle drop on it. She insisted it was getting HORRIBLE mileage. True, it has 265/75's on it, but it shouldn't have been that bad. I filled it up checked the first tank mileage (originally filled by dealer & probably not topped off), 17.8 mpg. I decided, what the heck, I can make it get better than that. Next weekend, checked it again 19.0 (uncorrected for larger tire size). Its the fuel guage. It still has several gallons in it when it's below the quarter mark. DON'T trust the guage for mileage purposes. Fill it and follow the directions others have given.

Then go back to your old high school and apologize to your teachers for not paying attention in math class when they were trying to help you.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:34 AM

I would run a gas station that, I am glad to take your mileage eading when you come to me. (top off, surely, $$$). I will tell you what your mpg is.

You will never feel guilty for not getting good grade on math as long as you keep coming back.

If I notice you have a spike on mpg, .....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about gas mileage reminded me of a story I heard on "CarTalk" a couple years ago. Here it is, unceremoniously lifted from their website (cartalk.com).

A Fiat Christmas Story
I thought you might want to hear a tender Christmas story.

I worked my way through college as a Volvo mechanic, 1969-71. During those years, the extremely dependable but dated Volvo 120 series was being replaced by the extremely trendy but unreliable 140 series.

Our shop foreman decided to buy a small Fiat, about 1500cc, saying that he could no longer trust the Volvo, and furthermore, he REALLY loved the TREMENDOUS gas mileage of the Fiat. The first week he had the Fiat, he did nothing but rave about the gas mileage, so we decided to help him. Every day we would add, at first a pint, then more and more gas to his tank when he wasn't looking. He went crazy.

Our skeptical-looking (we were all in on it) crew would be regaled by his tales of getting, well, first it was 34, then 50, the 63 miles per gallon. He would snarl condescendingly at our gas guzzling Volvos, then reflect on the brilliance of Italian engineering. The Fiat dealership, of course, had several explanations. Tight engine. American gas. Driving habits. Then we gradually began to reduce the amount we added, until it was zero, and then of course we siphoned increasing amounts from the Fiat's tank.

At first, the bragging slowed to a stop. He became surly. How was the Fiat? Wouldn't answer. Then of course he kept taking it back to the Fiat back dealership, which, of course, had several explanations. Tight engine. American gas. Driving habits. In the end, he found us out, and our schedules were screwed for months. I worked 11 hours on Christmas Eve, 1970. That's the Christmas part.

Merry Christmas, guys, and a happy and talkative New Year.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 12-15-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW I was getting about 300 miles between fillups. Mileage ranged from 19-21mpg. Then my cooling fan clutch went wacky and I am lucky to hit the 240 mark. Mileage sucks.

FAL electric fan going in soon, my radiator sucks and is falling apart (piece of crap I bought elsewhere) so I have a new one in the back right now ready to get installed this weekend... Gonna get a slightly cooler t-stat as well, change all fluids to synth (everything except the oil REALLY needs to be changed), and go from there. Almost time for new tires too... I'll get 300+ back. She just needs some help.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

My gas mileage issue appears to be due to a faulty gas cap and am expecting a 30+mpg increase with a new cap. We'll see when this tank is empty how much a $5 part makes a difference.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 AM

X-AWD what do you get for miles to the gallon in your 4th gen?

How many cylinder and what type of engine is in there?