Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bad 3.4 liter motors 99-01

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Man4God
I don't think these engines are prone to failure prematurely. I do think that they are quirky engines though. My 4Runner's 3.4 sounds like it has a light knock but I have heard many other 3.4 vehicles and to me, it sounds like a "Toyota." One day, when I am feeling up to it, I will pull the oil pan off and count my cap bolts (hehe) and just clean out all the sludge that *might* be there. The previous owner did use Pennsoil much to my chagrin.
not a damn thing wrong with penzoil. its been proven time and time again to be the best or second best dino oil out now.. penzoil platinum is the best over the counter oils you can buy now. lots of good support to back up that claim online.. the whole penzoil sludge thing is just a rumor thats gotten bu-fued over and over again with NO proof of it..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheez--i am having some heads done for me and i am wondering whether or not to just have a complete motor done--

Does anybody have $3000 i can borrow

As far as oil goes. I used Mobile 1 since about 84k on my old runner and when i pulled the valve covers and heads off they were in good shape (Had 165k on the odo).

But with my new 4Runner i could see the effects of Jiffy Lube brand oil in the oil fill port--it was kinda crystalized there at the oil fill baffle. I am pretty sure the Mobile will take care of that though.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
Sheez--i am having some heads done for me and i am wondering whether or not to just have a complete motor done--

Does anybody have $3000 i can borrow

As far as oil goes. I used Mobile 1 since about 84k on my old runner and when i pulled the valve covers and heads off they were in good shape (Had 165k on the odo).

But with my new 4Runner i could see the effects of Jiffy Lube brand oil in the oil fill port--it was kinda crystalized there at the oil fill baffle. I am pretty sure the Mobile will take care of that though.

how will mobil take care of that????? look into doing a cycle or two of Auto-rx..... best thing for the motor thats out now.. they actually have real proof that it works unlike all other motor cleans and etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
how will mobil take care of that????? look into doing a cycle or two of Auto-rx..... best thing for the motor thats out now.. they actually have real proof that it works unlike all other motor cleans and etc.
agreed. exactly how ? unless you just mean over time...

mobil 1 only works one way best. use it first, and stay with it for the life
of the vehicle. it isn't magic. it is just a really really good oil and never a cause
of engine problems. and you can extend service intervals from 3000 to 7500 with no concern.

no more magic to it
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM

sucks man, everyone gets a lemon once in a while, but the 3.4 is a good motor. maybe not as durable as the R series, but they make up for it in being able to be turbo charged, supercharged, etc, and still last the longest compared to other motors. and to the guy sayin penzzoil is ok... its NOT! penzzoil is the worst oil you could possibly use. its got so many additives in it that cause oil foaming, burnoff, and sludge. screw penzzoil. castrol high mileage for me. when i get the engine rebuilt, goin to mobil 1 or royal purple
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM

I just read a thread on BITOG forums about Pennzoil and yeah...it is fairly well liked over there. But I am going to stick to my Valvoline. Particularly the high-mileage. I have also had good luck with the Ford Synthetic blend.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 AM

there are still detergents in Mobile 1--it is not magic--it is called dispersants. My old 4Runner was the same way from my boss (previous owner) using Chevron brand crap. Ran the Mobile 1 and the first couple of oil changes the oil got dirty pretty quick. After that--it stayed noticiable cleaner. When i pulled the heads--they looked very clean--no sludge

This is my experience--with two different engines. I like Mobile 1 and run Wally World Ford "sized" filters every 10k. Never burned oil and passed emissions at ~160k.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:37 PM

I run mobil 1 forever, since mile 500 and to now, 150,000

there is a TINY amount of sludge

if I pull the oil cap and stick a finger in there I can come up
with some black grit carbon on top of the valve
lifter that my finger can reach. but it ain't much and it
breaks down very easy. if some got loose and went through
it wouldn't clog a passage it'd break up at the slightest pressure
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 PM

I dont know what the gripe is about with pennzoil. Back in the day it was a horrible oil and now its pretty compitive with Castrol and Valvoline and some other dino oils. I got a buddy at work who uses it in 350 Chevy truck and has over 300K.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Man4God
I just read a thread on BITOG forums about Pennzoil and yeah...it is fairly well liked over there. But I am going to stick to my Valvoline. Particularly the high-mileage. I have also had good luck with the Ford Synthetic blend.
Yeah I've read those too, I guess they have really started selling some good oil with the Platinum synthetic. Oil analysis is the best way to tell. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I've read those too, I guess they have really started selling some good oil with the Platinum synthetic. Oil analysis is the best way to tell. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html
penzoil dino and synthetic IS great oil. many many uoa's on bitog to PROVE that it works very very well.. whoever said that they sludge up motors and stuff needs to get an education. maybe back in the day , perhaps in the 80's but thats it.. any oil will sludge if you extend its drain period longer than you should DUH, make that a super DUH.. i would use penzoil at the drop of a hat, esp if i cant find a synthetic on sale. i would use penzoil dino and valvoline maxlife without thinking twice
Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I dont know what the gripe is about with pennzoil. Back in the day it was a horrible oil and now its pretty compitive with Castrol and Valvoline and some other dino oils. I got a buddy at work who uses it in 350 Chevy truck and has over 300K.
now its pretty competitive with castrol and valvoline??? dude penzoil surpases both oils.. go take a gander at bitog's uoa section.. penzoil puts both to shame. personally i use valvoline synpower bc its buy one get one free at advance auto about 3-4 times a year so i stock up.. its a good synthetic at dino prices..
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
penzoil dino and synthetic IS great oil. many many uoa's on bitog to PROVE that it works very very well.. whoever said that they sludge up motors and stuff needs to get an education. maybe back in the day , perhaps in the 80's but thats it..
Yeah these oil formulas are always changing and what was best 10 years ago (or even last year) may not still be the best this year. You really can't go by past experience or what granddad said anymore. UOA seems to be the only way.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM

Yeah these oil formulas are always changing and what was best 10 years ago (or even last year) may not still be the best this year. You really can't go by past experience or what granddad said anymore. UOA seems to be the only way.
Where's a link to this UOA stuff? I've used Castrol GTX for 15 years after researching all this stuff back in the day and finding it to be the best bang for the buck. I personally don't believe in running synthetic unless you drive 3,000 miles a month and want to extend the drain interval to 15,000 miles.

I change my oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months with Castrol GTX dino in all my cars and a Purolator Pure One filter. I've sent samples off to OAI testing for analysis and in every car it came back as "fine to run longer interval".

Why pay the extra for synthetic when dino will go for more than 5,000 miles?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Where's a link to this UOA stuff?
Do you mean Bob the oil guy forum Speedy? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 AM

Do you mean Bob the oil guy forum Speedy? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Ok got it. UOA = Used Oil Analysis....DUH. I sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of what that meant and assumed it was some standard somewhere hahaha.

Yeah, Oil Analysis is the way to go. I do it on all my vehicles down to my motorcycle. I even have a page on my website dedicated to Oil Analysis from my bike, and now use a racing synthetic because I'm sponsored by the company and get it for free, but that is one case I can understand paying more for synthetic since they redline at around 12,000 RPM and I frequently see that RPM on the tach when riding
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy
Where's a link to this UOA stuff? I've used Castrol GTX for 15 years after researching all this stuff back in the day and finding it to be the best bang for the buck. I personally don't believe in running synthetic unless you drive 3,000 miles a month and want to extend the drain interval to 15,000 miles.

I change my oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months with Castrol GTX dino in all my cars and a Purolator Pure One filter. I've sent samples off to OAI testing for analysis and in every car it came back as "fine to run longer interval".

Why pay the extra for synthetic when dino will go for more than 5,000 miles?
can you post your UOA's? i would love to see them and yes GTX is fine. remember our 3.4's are very easy on oil. no time chain to beat the oil up.. actually Valvoline Maxlife is the best bang for the buck. it has a synthetic base stock, an additive package that surpasses the rest and its the same price as most other dino oils.. like i said before the only reason why i get synthetic is 1) for winter use 2) bc i get it "buy one get one free" valvoline sympower at advance auto.. if i couldnt find a syn on sale i would use penzoil, maxlife and gtx without blinking
Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 AM

exaclty, thats why visiting BITOG's UOA section every once in a while wouldnt hurt any of us if you are that anal about oil..
also check out the gear oil / transmission fluid UOA section and make your own judgements