Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto transmission operating temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mydogs
I finally got my mechanic to install the AutoMeter transmission temp gauge for me. He put the sending unit on the line just as it comes out of the pan, going toward the radiator/trans cooler. It is an electrical gauge that reads from 100 to 250 degrees. I haven’t had a chance to go for any really long road trip, but I did drive about 15 miles on pavement at varying speeds up to 55 mph with lots of starts and stops. I also got on a dirt road and went about 5 miles in 4WD High and Low. Back into 2WD did some wheel spinning quick accelerations, in dirt of course . The gauge never went above 100 degrees, in fact it never appeared to move except when I shut off and restarted the engine (the gauge needle rests just below the 100 degree mark). I need to do some more driving, but I wondered: is it possible that the reading is correct at 100 degrees, or is it not working properly? I can’t imagine that the temp would stay so low in start and stop traffic. I thought it would at least get up to around 130 on average.

Anybody out there with a transmission temp gauge want to tell me what their usual operating temps are?
After re-reading your original post, I have a few questions about the gauge and sensor you had installed.

"He put the sending unit on the line just as it comes out of the pan, going toward the radiator/trans cooler."

From your description, I get the impression that the sensor he installed is some type of external, surface mounted unit. Is this correct? As for where he installed it, as far as I know the only 'line' that comes out of the trans pan is the tube for the dipstick. It is usually about 3/4" in diameter. The two cooling lines to the radiator usually connect to the side of the trans case just above the point where the pan meets the case, and are generally in the neighborhood of 1/2" or less in diameter. The factory temp sensor is installed in a port just before the cooler outlet tube fitting, which is the front line of the two. If he did install a surface type sensor, I would wonder how accurate it could be when it has to read thru the metal line.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I understand it, the line from the trans to the cooler leaves the pan on the pass side and the return line is on the opposite side. The sensor is in direct contact with the fluid in this first line via a "manifold" which was cut into the line. Basically is has 3 openings in a tee shape: one at each end for the fluid to flow through, and a third for the sensor to contact the trans fluid.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM

As I understand it, the line from the trans to the cooler leaves the pan on the pass side and the return line is on the opposite side. The sensor is in direct contact with the fluid in this first line via a "manifold" which was cut into the line. Basically is has 3 openings in a tee shape: one at each end for the fluid to flow through, and a third for the sensor to contact the trans fluid.
I haven't actually looked at the auto that comes in the 95 SR5, but i thought it was basically the same type as the auto in my '03, a 340H or F series 4 speed. If so, it seems very unusual, but not impossible, that they (Toyota) would have routed the cooling lines out the side of the sump pan. This configuration would make it very difficult to remove the pan for service. And the plumbing that would have to be done to connect the lines inside the pan on the output side to the pressure source wouldn't seem to make good mechancial sense. In any event, I understand the 'T' fitting you describe. But my next question would be how it was installed. If the branch of the 'T' that the sensor goes into was installed in the up position, it is possible that it could be come air bound, and the sensor may not be in contact with the oil at all. This could explain the poor operation.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:28 AM

Did you ground the sender or the sender block itself, or just the gauge?

-John
Old 12-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TechWrench
I haven't actually looked at the auto that comes in the 95 SR5, but i thought it was basically the same type as the auto in my '03, a 340H or F series 4 speed. If so, it seems very unusual, but not impossible, that they (Toyota) would have routed the cooling lines out the side of the sump pan. This configuration would make it very difficult to remove the pan for service. And the plumbing that would have to be done to connect the lines inside the pan on the output side to the pressure source wouldn't seem to make good mechancial sense. In any event, I understand the 'T' fitting you describe. But my next question would be how it was installed. If the branch of the 'T' that the sensor goes into was installed in the up position, it is possible that it could be come air bound, and the sensor may not be in contact with the oil at all. This could explain the poor operation.
I thought of that, because I see that my mechanic installed the manifold with the sensor branch in an upward position, between horizontal and 45 degrees upward. I am going to loosen the fittings and correct that -- I think it should be straight down. But, I did put the sensor down into boiling water, with no result.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Transdude
Did you ground the sender or the sender block itself, or just the gauge?

-John
Just the gauge, to the top of the engine (there is something else grounded there already). AutoMeter did not show anything about grounding the sender in their diagrams. Do you think that is a problem?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:01 AM

I thought of that, because I see that my mechanic installed the manifold with the sensor branch in an upward position, between horizontal and 45 degrees upward. I am going to loosen the fittings and correct that -- I think it should be straight down. But, I did put the sensor down into boiling water, with no result.
The fluid is under a lot of pressure- an air bubble cannot form, however even if it could, heat would be transferred form the rest of the assembly to the sender.

Again, with an Autometer gauge, the sender needs a ground.

Try hose clamping a wire to the sender and putting it to ground, it should fix the problem.

-John

Last edited by Transdude; 12-07-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

The fluid is under a lot of pressure- an air bubble cannot form, however even if it could, heat would be transferred form the rest of the assembly to the sender.

Again, with an Autometer gauge, the sender needs a ground.

Try hose clamping a wire to the sender and putting it to ground, it should fix the problem.

-John
That makes sense, and I realize where I went wrong. Had I been able to use the compression fittings supplied by AutoMeter, the sender would have been grounded through the steel trans fluid line. But because I had to use hose, there is no ground. I'll try running a ground to the sender and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Maybe I should shop for a new mechanic.
Do you think I am OK with hoses and double clamped connections? I've been running it that way for almost a week with no leaks or apparent problems.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 PM

That makes sense, and I realize where I went wrong. Had I been able to use the compression fittings supplied by AutoMeter, the sender would have been grounded through the steel trans fluid line. But because I had to use hose, there is no ground. I'll try running a ground to the sender and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Maybe I should shop for a new mechanic.
Do you think I am OK with hoses and double clamped connections? I've been running it that way for almost a week with no leaks or apparent problems.
How long you stay with the hoses is up to you, but I would suggest replacing them with metal compression type fittings before long. Remember, the line is under pressure when running, not full system pressure, but enough to dump a lot of fluid in a short time if a hose breaks or gets cut. In order to install the hose connections, I am assuming you had to cut the steel line. Unless you cleaned the cut ends of all sharp edges, it is quite possible that with enough time and vibration the hose could be cut thru. If you are driving down the road when this happens, you may not notice the leak until the fluid level drops low enough for the trans to start slipping. If it were my ride, I would do what ever it takes to replace the hose connection with metal as soon as I could. Plus, besides making the connections more secure, it would probably solve your ground problem with the sensor.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

John (Transdude): The lack of a ground for the sensor was the problem. I now have a trans temp gauge. Thanks for your help.

Techwrench: I am going to put steel lines on my New Year's list of things to do for my truck. Thanks for your help, too.

Yotatech is the best!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:30 PM

John (Transdude): The lack of a ground for the sensor was the problem. I now have a trans temp gauge. Thanks for your help.

Techwrench: I am going to put steel lines on my New Year's list of things to do for my truck. Thanks for your help, too.

Yotatech is the best!
Rubber lines are fine as long as the end of the steel line that it is connected to has a double flare at the end (this, in conjunction with a hose clamp, will keep the line on just fine).

There are literally hundreds of factory applications that utilize at least some rubber line.

-John
Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Rubber lines are fine as long as the end of the steel line that it is connected to has a double flare at the end (this, in conjunction with a hose clamp, will keep the line on just fine).

There are literally hundreds of factory applications that utilize at least some rubber line.

-John
If this was a factory application, I wouldn't question it, but I have seen too many 'field' repairs or modifications with hoses and clamps fail because the 'mechanic' was in too much of a hurry to do it right.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

What is a good operating range for Auto's? I've searched and can't find a straight answer. Thanks all.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC97SR5
What is a good operating range for Auto's? I've searched and can't find a straight answer. Thanks all.
I don't know that you'll find a definitive answer. But the general consensus seems to be that "normal" operating temp is 150 - 180, and that it isn't unusual to see "spikes" of up to 250 when pulling steep grades or when the TC isn't engaged for long periods. But the temp should quickly fall back into a normal range once things level out. This is what I have observed with my 4Runner.

Another question that I had but that NOBODY could answer was what temp activates the auto trans temp light.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since installing my gauge the temp has gone to 250 (as measured where the rubber hose meets the hardline on the supply side) and the light still hasn't come on.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 AM

I don't know that you'll find a definitive answer. But the general consensus seems to be that "normal" operating temp is 150 - 180, and that it isn't unusual to see "spikes" of up to 250 when pulling steep grades or when the TC isn't engaged for long periods. But the temp should quickly fall back into a normal range once things level out. This is what I have observed with my 4Runner.

Another question that I had but that NOBODY could answer was what temp activates the auto trans temp light.
Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Since installing my gauge the temp has gone to 250 (as measured where the rubber hose meets the hardline on the supply side) and the light still hasn't come on.

OLD thread but I am doing some searching...

Normal operating temps should be in the 120-170 range.. .you dont want to see about 200* often, if you have dino ATF and you see 220* you need to replace your fluid w/in a 1000 miles or so. If you see 250* you need to replace it ASAP. If you see 240* with syn ATF you need to replace in 10K or so, and if you see 265* you need to replace ASAP.

From what I have read the light come on above 300* F... if you ever see this light you need to replace your fluid ASAP, or sooner.

I have a gauge in the hardline on my 07 and have seen 230* once when towing on a dirt road. Thats with the tow package and an extra cooler. I will be replacing the fluid this winter and adding another cooler with a fan. If you do any slow speed stuff with an auto, tow/wheel, you NEED a aux cooler with a fan to have your ATF and tranny last.