ARB vs TJM round 10

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the TJM T-15.
I like the beefy hoops.
I like the solid feel.
I like how the bumper fits the curve of the grille a bit more than the ARB.
I like how the winch mounts without a winch mount plate like you need for the ARB Bullbar.
I like how I was able to add a few washers to the wings, when I assembled the bumper, to flare them out to protect the LTD flares I have.

Both are strong enough.
Both look good.
Both will get the job done.

I just like the TJM a bit more, but would be happy with either.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 PM

How much does the T-15 wweigh? Anybody know?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:38 PM

good ? ---- --- not TOO much - i mean - i can pick it up!

it weighs JUST enuff!

ä
Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SkyRat
I love the TJM T-15.
I like the beefy hoops.
I like the solid feel.
I like how the bumper fits the curve of the grille a bit more than the ARB.
I like how the winch mounts without a winch mount plate like you need for the ARB Bullbar.
I like how I was able to add a few washers to the wings, when I assembled the bumper, to flare them out to protect the LTD flares I have.

Both are strong enough.
Both look good.
Both will get the job done.

I just like the TJM a bit more, but would be happy with either.
SkyRat,
Kinda confused about your comment on the winch mount plate on the ARB.
It was my understanding that the TJM needed the mount plates. On the ARB the winch gets mounted right to the front face of the bumper.

As far as solid feel. The ARB is ONE piece as compared to a TJM's three piece design.
Both bumpers have a nice look and I did favor the TJM till I saw a few in person and noticed a little sticker that stated something like not designed for excessive pulls or winching. They were both the T-15.

If it was just for looks I prefer the TJM.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Why?? I like having the extra protection from the hoops... Plus, I like the looks better, but thats all personals prefrence. Jon (hyperlite's rig) was the first T17 I liked... They look hot with the yota bug deflector b/c they act as eyelids a hair...
Check out my avatar! I was j/k...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Anything BUT the Sahara Bar. Now that I have one, and have seen how far it sticks out as a rock anchor (10.5" from grill), I'm really NOT liking it. Don't get my wrong, I love the way it looks..but thats all I love. Later on (if money was no object), I'd pick up a Rockware like Data's--or a T17.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by smr4runner
SkyRat,
Kinda confused about your comment on the winch mount plate on the ARB.
It was my understanding that the TJM needed the mount plates. On the ARB the winch gets mounted right to the front face of the bumper.
On the TJM the winch mounts directly to the face of the bumper too. The comment about the plate is that the top of the rollers mount in the bumper itself (at least on the ARB bullbars I have seen) and there is a plate that is used behind the face. Is that an old system?

As far as solid feel. The ARB is ONE piece as compared to a TJM's three piece design.
True, the versatility of the three piece design is an advantage in my book. I used this to flare out the end pieces to match the wider distance of the limited flares. I did this by adding washers to the rearmost bolts. The end pieces are bolted on in such a way that they are not a weak point. If the ends don't hold up in a collision or off roading, you are going to have much bigger problems than the bolts. I would be worried about my frame. Especially in a side impact where the wings are.

Also, as far as solid feel, the center hoop with the two outside hoops all welded together on the TJM is way beefier than the single smaller guage hoop and straps on the ARB. But BOTH, IMHO, are plenty strong enough.

Both bumpers have a nice look and I did favor the TJM till I saw a few in person and noticed a little sticker that stated something like not designed for excessive pulls or winching. They were both the T-15.

If it was just for looks I prefer the TJM.
The sticker has to do with the fact that TJM has not gone to the expense of crashing all the models with bumpers on them to certify that the airbags deploy as the OEM equipment designed. It does not have anything to do with winching or pulling (unless it is a sticker that I have never seen).

Just my two cents.
Mine too.
You cannot lose with either of these bullbars!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had an ARB, seen a TJM up close...if I had another 3rd gen it would be custom bumper all the way because for what the ARBs and TJMS cost, you can get a custom front bumper built for less and just like you want.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:47 PM

as for me driving a tacoma, from what ive seen it depends on year of the vehicle, i have a ARB and i like how the mounting brakets are made in a tubular shape rather than a single wall fledge plate, but apparently on the newer tacos ARBs must be reinforced for winching applications cuz of the shorter frame, as for me i lucked out before i knew about this issue. The thing i like about the tjms is that they are somewhat lighter than my ARB at least the ones i lifted up, each of them is different, u gotta find which one is best for ur vehicle/application
Old 02-05-2005, 08:36 AM

IMHO...
ARB, TJM - same difference
But... of course ARB rulez!
... because I have one
Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 AM

OLD THREAD REVIVAL!!!

j/k

Has anyone with these bumpers or similar bumpers noticed a mpg change? They are alot heavier and the aerodynamics are different. On a stockish (tire size) 4runner how do you think they would affect MPGS?

thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 AM

well....

i'm running 32" BFG at's....with a tjm t-15, sliders, custom bruce t/s-like rear bumper and locked and i get 19-20 MPG at 182,xxx

a
Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks. I have like 30" tires and mostly stock 93' runner and I get around 19 mixed. It sounds like it shouldn't hurt millage too much...

I guess I should start a thread instead of hijacking...

I am looking at a used ARB