Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone using Xpel products?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone using Xpel products?

Hey Guys,

I was looking at the Xpel products for the headlight protection and hood protection. They seem kind of pricey, but if they work I think that they are worth investing in. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Echo
Old 01-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

bob_98SR5 Installed the Xpel stuff. Shoot him a PM, or he may reply to this.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Xpel lamp protection kits on three of my vehicles and they _do_ work and are well worth the money.

Note: I have been making my own paint protection kits for motorcycles for many years and consider myself very good at applying film.

Having said the above, I bought the paint protection kit for my 4R and paid, I think, $168.00 for it. The difficulty factor was about a level 3. I applied all the pieces but when I got to the one that goes on the bottom bumper out and around the parking/fog lamps I reached the limit of my ability. It was just too hard to fit with all the convex angles and twists. I cut and separated the one piece into three pieces (side-center-side) and completed the application. I then called Xpel and inquired about getting another piece for that one spot ... thought I'd try again. They wanted $80.00 for that one piece ... yeah, right! That rally fronsted me. It also pissed me off that you have to get the hood protector kit separately for $115.00, if I recall correctly. That kit only has three pieces in it. I decided to get the LUND clear bug shield and back-paint it to match the Millennium Silver body color.

Anyway, the lamp protector kits are very good.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
xpel = good stuff

Echo,

I really like the xpel stuff. It does a fantastic job of protecting the 4runner. In the areas that I have applied it, there are absolutely no stone chips. And I don't get the hood flutter that some of the other 4runner owners have experienced. Plus, it looks alot cleaner/stealthier. Nobody has ever said to me "What's that on your hood?" b/c nobody even notices its there.

You'll probably ask about application so here goes: Its easy with the exception of the pieces that go on the side mirrors. If you have any experience tinting or applying some window film, this will be a piece of cake. If not, there is plenty of material on the sheet that you can cut out and practice to get the "feel".

Also, there is alot of extra material left over to cover up some of the other parts of the front area including under the headlights. If you do go this route, I'll post up the templates I used.

Here are some pics:

http://www.4runners.org/images/rando...orner_hood.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/images/random/xpel_hood.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/images/rando...eft_mirror.jpg

Bob
Old 02-01-2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I am going to go with the headlight protection, hood, and mirrors. Bob_98SR5 I hope my application turns out as clean and professional looking as yours. I like how discreet the Xpel film looks.

Echo
Old 02-01-2003, 02:11 PM

Echo,

When you do your install, make sure to pull the hood material out so that it fits within 1/16-1/8" from the edges. You will notice that Bob did not pull it out all the way to the edges in his install, or so it appears from the pics.

You will need one HD spray bottle with Baby Shampoo / water solution and one with an isopropyl alcohol / water solution. You can get the bottlles at Home Depot.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Echo,

Yeah, manymods is right. In order to get the full protection, you have to "stretch" it out a bit. The only reason why I didn't do it was I was a little gun shy after overstretching the material on the side view mirrors. Once overstretched, it doesn't shrink back.

I got it as close as I wanted to and it's fine the way it is.

Bob
Old 02-01-2003, 06:04 PM

I have it on the head lights, driving lights, and a small stripe on the front edge of the hood of my 97 GRS 4Runner. It is good stuff and worth your consideration.

On a recent visit in AZ I met up with a friend that has the whole protection kit on his 4Runner. Very nice indeed. My next new car will get the full treatment of Xpel.

Just one word of caution. DO NOT USE IT ON HELLA FOG LIGHTS THAT CAME ON THE 97-98 4Runners. The lens is to close to the bulb and it will BURN the Expel.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-02-2003, 03:27 AM

Gadget warns not to use Xpel on the OE fog lamp lenses ...

Let me vent a pet peeve of mine. Performance Products advertises replacement fog lamps for the 4R that are the same design as the OE lamps but brighter! They are not brighter. This is false advertising and they have refused to change it even after I called them and chastised a manager. PP is overpriced in many instances and FOS ... they just want our money.

I contacted Hella and they make the lamps that PP sells as well as the ones Toyota sells as OE. Hella warns that you can not use a higher wattage bulb in their lamps because it will overheat and damage the lens. FYI