Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anybody know how to mount the factory hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruizs
Yup, very important... tells you they are grade 8 bolts, which means they're really strong... Most anything that bolts to the frame should use grade 8 bolts.

My hitch bolts up, forget how many bolts there are. But, on my '99 limited, the nuts aren't attached to the frame - I have these long steel pieces with a nut at one end, they are inserted into the frame, and the hitch bolts there. A hassle to get back on tho...
I just bought a factory hitch for my 3rd gen and it came with 2 gold steel pieces with nuts attached to it. I'm guessing thats the piece you are talking to? May you explain or take a picture of how this steel piece goes onto the frame? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM

ruizs and JMT529 are correct. I took the factory hitch off my wifes wrecked 98 and put it on her 99. There are rectangular pieces of steel with a square hole that fit inside the frame rails at the front end of the hitch which the bolts sit in. These pieces go inside the rails on a nut attaches to the outside. The rears are bolts going from the outside into where the red bolts are shown.
To install I bent a coat hanger into a "U" shape that fit around the bolt. I put the bolt through the square metal piece and sat it in the u shape. These pieces where carfully stuck into the frame from the rear until the bolt lined up with the hole and lowered. I bolted the rear of the hitch on both sides then started the first nut onto the bolt I stuck in the frame. As soon as the nut was started I yanked the coat hanger out from around the bolt. Then do the same for the other front bolt. It really wasn't hard at all.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 AM

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand how the steel pieces go in. First off, they go inside the rail, so when I am looking from under the 4runner, I will not be able to see it anymore? The steel piece has 2 holes for the bolts and those should line up with the green arrows in the picture above? How many bolts hold each side in total? Just at the 2 green arrows, or also at the outter red arrow as well? I do not remember how many holes are on the hitch to attach to the 4runner, so I will take a look again when I get home and hopefully get a better understanding. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:21 PM

The hitch on my wifes 99 has 6 total. 2 at each red and 1 at the front green. The square pieces of metal do go inside the frame rail. Mine were only 3" long and about the same width as the frame with one square hole in them. When the front plate and bolt were inserted, there is square hole in the side of the frame to hold the bolt while tightening.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:32 PM

They just slide into the frame rails lengthwise. i.e. enter from the rear of the vehicle, the frame rails are kind of hidden and it takes a little finess to get them in. I don't want to have to put them back on - you would have to try and line up the bolt somehow inside. Do you have a 99+? Maybe in years before, the frame rails were not open on the ends?
If they are open, they should be somewhere just in front of the rear bumper, tucked in there. If yer still having problems, I can try and take a picture sometime.