Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any last minute thoughts on exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
And they definitely don't sound ricey, unless you get some ricey tip.
The tip should not effect the sound of the exhaust unless it is one of those long trumpet-looking tips.

IF you do need to replace your pipes (rusted?), try going with 2.5" in to the muffler and 2.25" out. That was the way TRD designed their catback and my exhaust shop said that it's more efficient that way.

Last edited by anthraciterunner; 05-21-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Hey, I was wondering, when I drive next to a wall and have the windows open, it sounds pretty rough (not a leak) when on the pedal and @ 1700rpm or so. Let off the pedal and its quiet. It doesn't pur like a new car. How long do factory mufflers usually last?
Please explain. What do you mean by "rough"? I don't remember what the stock muff sounds like but it should be close to quiet when you let off the gas. With any aftermarket muff, the loudest it will get will be in the 1400 to 2000 rpm range. My magnaflow quiets down when I let off too except at highway speeds. When I do 80-85 mph and let off the gas completely, I can hear a low growl for a couple of seconds and then it quiets down. Your muuf should still be good...unless you want something a little louder.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:30 AM

every person has their own opions on what sounds good. Im running flows, because they sound good and last long. But, Ive had the delta for 4 years now, and its showing signs of rust. So I want somthing new. Borla has a lifetime guarentee, but I dont know how it sounds on my truck. If I dont like the way it sounds, Im gonna get somthing else. Yeah it wastes money, but I drive this thing everyday. I cant be iritated with the sound of my truck everyday. So I gotta find somthing I can live with.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:46 AM

What do you mean by "rough"?
Well, I can hear every cylinder igniting through the reflected sound. If there is no wall, or anything else to reflect the sound back I would not know it's there even with all windows down. But it is there even when driving along a high curb.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 AM

Well, I can hear every cylinder igniting through the reflected sound. If there is no wall, or anything else to reflect the sound back I would not know it's there even with all windows down. But it is there even when driving along a high curb.
That's weird. I never heard anyone describing that kinda sound. Is it like a crackling sound or a rumble? HAve you ever let someone else drive it while you listened to it from the outside? My parents car had a hole in their exhaust pipe before from running over something on the highway and you couldn't hear anything except when passing other cars and walls. It sounded like a low rumble/crackling sound. Maybe you have a leak somewhere underneath?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 AM

I personally didn't mind paying extra for the stainless because I knew it would last longer. I snowboard and drive to tahoe and big bear a lot and the salt from the roads gets thrown up on everything underneath the truck. IF you are looking at getting a tip as well, make sure it is at least stainless. I got a double walled tip so the outside wouldn't yellow.

Kford, research your prices for all the parts on the net, muffler and/or tip, and always negotiate price before any work has begun. IT's gonna be hard to argue afterwards once everything is welded on. If you are going w/ magnaflow, look up their online dealers like hottexhaust, and others just to see what the parts are going for.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:50 AM

It could be a leak, but I never heard a leak sound like that. I thought it's just a tired old blown out muffler. Can I stick a wet mop in the exhaust for few minutes and crawl under there listening?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 PM

It could be a leak, but I never heard a leak sound like that. I thought it's just a tired old blown out muffler. Can I stick a wet mop in the exhaust for few minutes and crawl under there listening?
you could...or have someone put a glove on and hold a rag up to it while you feel underneath. IF you are going to do it yourself, just don't leave the rag shoved in there for too long.

Or...you could tell everyone that it is a "tired old blown out muffler" and go get a new one. Then, you can have the shop check for leaks while you are there. Just a thought. -or are you going for as quiet as possible?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

I recomend to everyone that you have your mufler profesionally installed, esspecialy if you are getting any pipe installed. I am a good welder and soon to be Manufacturing Engineer but I still can't match the skill and precison of a pro welder. The also bend the piping so it fits perfectly and cleanly whear it needs to go. It's a beuatifull thing. It's well worth $40 to $50 for the improvement of form and function.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:50 PM

I'm not against a new muffler at all, and would get one if I only knew someone who's guaranteed to do a quality job at putting it on. Btw, how does an aluminum muffler get welded to a steel exhaust pipe?

Certainly don't want anything very loud, but slightly louder than stock would be ok.
On <96 Runner>'s website is anybody else able to play "TStango dumped the 14" unit he had, and went to a 24" body (30" overall) Magnaflow. The part # is 12286. Sound byte of revving it and driving away, 562 kb WAV" ?

The smaller units remind me too much of the old domestic 3.4 Sport Luminas
Old 05-21-2004, 02:34 PM

On <96 Runner>'s website is anybody else able to play "TStango dumped the 14" unit he had, and went to a 24" body (30" overall) Magnaflow. The part # is 12286. Sound byte of revving it and driving away, 562 kb WAV" ?

The smaller units remind me too much of the old domestic 3.4 Sport Luminas
I had the chance to hear the 18" body/24" overall on my 4runner before my 14" got welded on. I listened to it from both outside/inside the cabin. IMO, the 18" didn't sound as deep as the 14" one. It was a little higher pitched. I haven't heard the 24/30, but I am guessing it will be somehwhat quiet. The TRD muffler I had on was 22" body and it weighs a ton and it was really quiet. That's why I swapped it out.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Birdman]There's nothing wrong with Flowmasters. You just gotta get the right one for tastes. And they definitely don't sound ricey, unless you get some ricey tip. I'm running the stock tip with stock pipes and a Deltaflow 50 Series. I'll still be running my Flowmaster long after the packing blows out of your fancy Magnaflows.

More info:
- The 40 Series Deltaflow muffler is just damn loud all around, inside and out.

- The 50 Series Deltaflow muffler is quieter than the 40 Series, yet has a nice growl when you get on it. They are also pretty quiet inside the cab, especially at cruise rpms.

- The 50 Series SUV Deltaflow muffler has the same growl as the plain 50 Series outside, but is definitely louder inside the cab than the plain 50 Series.
QUOTE]

I agree, it all depends on taste. The flowmaster defiently doesn't sound ricey, I have got a 40 series on mine with a dual outlet. (I know theres no point in the dual outlet, but I wanted the look.) Mine is loud, especially around 1700-1900 rpms, but i LIKE loud.