Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Am I Being Taken???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Am I Being Taken???

Ok. Here's the deal. I've been looking high and low for fender flares that are compatible with the factory chrome running boards. I finally found the Bushwacker OE Style Flares. They come complete with the boot that makes them compatible with the boards. The problem is it's gonna cost me!! :cry:

I've got a 3rd generation 4runner. To purchase the flares and the boards and have the "stealership" install them it's going to cost me $1,100.00 which they say is a "good deal". Am I getting jacked or what???

They're charging me $400.00 for the boards, $400.00 for the flares, $250.00 labor plus I have to pay $50.00 shipping and handling so they can special order the flares from Bushwacker.

Seeing as how I'm not capable of installing them myself, is this price reasonable???

I've seen the flares and boards for around $350.00 each. I'm just not sure about that much labor. Anyone care to comment???
Old 11-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Away

$250 in labor seems kinda high...

That whole job should only take aobut 2 hours max.

I'd get a second opinion from a different dealer.

Good luck
Dr. Z
Old 11-12-2002, 10:28 PM

Re: Am I Being Taken???

Originally posted by Matt
Seeing as how I'm not capable of installing them myself, is this price reasonable???
Are you absolutely certain you can't do the install yourself? You would save a significant amount of money if you did the install with a friend or two. In fact $250.00 can buy a set of Bilstein shocks for both the front AND rear!!!

And if you plan on going off-road at all then those running boards will do more damage than good.

Also check the net for the best pricing and shipping you can find on the bushwhacker flares. Another thing you can try is to check with your local junkyards and see if they can get any flares or running boards.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2002, 04:49 AM

$400 for the flares is about right. $400 for the running boards seems awful expensive, but that's actually a decent price. You might be able to get the running boards cheaper if you buy them used. A lot of us have removed our running boards for off-road purposes. I'd give you mine, but they were pretty beat up so I junked them, but I suspect that other people have them laying around. You could also check e-bay. Labor sucks... it's always a fortune.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 11-13-2002 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:50 PM

Need some boards?

I've got a set of silver limited running boards off my 98 that have never been offroad, if you're interested please email me. I'll sell them for $175 + shipping. Oh yeah, you can install them yourself in about an hour (at most).

Thanks,
Milan

mheath@utk.edu