Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For all of those who are supercharged-

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, thanks for your dvice re AFR 12:1 for s/c'r under full boost. Once the URD fuel upgrade kit (with PCU) & 2.2" pulley arrived, I will do the mapping on dyno (hub dyno call Dynapack). My tuning experience is mostly on N/A engine with high compression ratio running high rpm. Will fit an EGT sensor to the exhaust manifold during the mapping process for safe sake. I beleive the 98 fuel here will allow the engine to run higher ignition advance, so far the knock sensor (I use Knock Link) detects no detonation under any rpm & 6.5psi boost.

I am also interested in the cam conversion mod mentioned by Weasy2K. Don't wanna get too far in pushing the s/c'r & ended up with water mist system
Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by RandyÄ
I just put a used ver. 2 (EBay, little old lady, only on Sunday) on my '02 LTD 4x a few weeks ago. With only 800 miles experience I am very impressed! The performance is what the truck should have had from the factory. It's a joy to drive again, I can actually use the cruise control without all that downshifting that it used to do. The throttle movement that is required to pass and merge is a fraction of what was. It now runs along at 80 with only the slightest pedal demand. So far I've had no indications of AFR problems. My older OBDii to PC link doesn't like the Toy interface so I don't know what I really have.
I did mine with budget in mind. I added:
New Walbro 190 .................................$90
NAPA 170º thermostat ........................$11
NGK 3764 plugs ..................................$35
Supra 312cc 23250-70080 used injectors $60
New injector seals and rings ..................$15
Fresh s/c oil .(mr goodwrench)................$8

Regrets?? I should have done it years ago.

Quirks. It sounds like a cross between R/C car and the mail truck. Kinda' the same pitch as an old Dodge starter.

I did buy a used SplitSec TMC just in case. It's still sitting on the bench.

MPG has actually increased a little. (~17) I think that is a result of not having to use 100% throttle to get it to respond.

After all the cautionary tales of those who paved the way for this mod, I reserve the right to amend or extend my remarks until after I've managed to tap some hard data.

As for the actual wrench twisting, it was a piece of cake. My 17 year old daughter did 90% of the work.

Lessons learned: lube the o-rings, Lube the 0-rings, LUBE THE O-RINGS!

RandyÄ,

What did you do about tuning? I'm still trying to figure out if I go this route instead of the URD kit, then how do I take care of the computer?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every single time I mash the pedal in the 1st 3 gears a smile will appear on my face - and a big dorky one at that . And then I will laugh out loud because I just completely roasted someone in their "fast" car. Rice is the tastiest snack, I must admit.

I don't know how many times all of us piggyback guys have to say it, but I guess we'll say it again: You are simply are not going to "avoid" the known HG/LR ping problem that is so prevalent in the 2K to 3K RPM range. You simply have to gain control of the timing and fuel delivery.

As others have said time and time again, this is far from a bolt-on affair, but oh is it worth it.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 01-26-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
RandyÄ,

What did you do about tuning? I'm still trying to figure out if I go this route instead of the URD kit, then how do I take care of the computer?
I am curious as well. From what I read, it looks like you are running 312cc injectors with the stock ECU and no piggyback? Doesn't make sense to me
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Every single time I mash the pedal in the 1st 3 gears a smile will appear on my face - and a big dorky one at that . And then I will laugh out loud because I just completely roasted someone in their "fast" car. Rice is the tastiest snack, I must admit.

I don't know how many times all of us piggyback guys have to say it, but I guess we'll say it again: You are simply are not going to "avoid" the known HG/LR ping problem that is so prevalent in the 2K to 3K RPM range. You simply have to gain control of the timing and fuel delivery.

As others have said time and time again, this is far from a bolt-on affair, but oh is it worth it.
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun----that's great. After all, that's what it's all about isn't it?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 PM

I can't find the thread by searching, but I remember reading the trd s/c has been discontinued. Anyone know why?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
I am curious as well. From what I read, it looks like you are running 312cc injectors with the stock ECU and no piggyback? Doesn't make sense to me
Yeah... I'm surprised that it even starts. I know mine won't run without the piggyback there to lean things out in closed loop.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Very worth it IMO.

Once you get over the initial, "I have a supercharger and must floor it at every opportunity," mentality you'll probably find an increase in MPG. I find mine very beneficial when I'm towing snowmobiles up high mountain passes, passing big rigs on the interstate and even when I blindly pull out in front of someone. Helps to be able to get out of your own way!

100K on truck, 50K on supercharger. No fuel mods to date and I also live at 6500ft elevation.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun----that's great. After all, that's what it's all about isn't it?
Oh yeah! But something tells me you are having a lot more fun!

I make it sound like I am some street-racer dude, but I'm really not. I drive pretty normal most of the time; but man, when you need to merge or pass someone...yeeehaaaw!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Oh yeah! But something tells me you are having a lot more fun!

I make it sound like I am some street-racer dude, but I'm really not. I drive pretty normal most of the time; but man, when you need to merge or pass someone...yeeehaaaw!
.....and those ricers just ask for it.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

thanks guys... this is the info i was looking for. I keep reading alot about the actual mod but I couldnt find any good reviews/regrets. Im def. thinking about the S/C but the lexu V8 swap sounds tempting. I figured id ask around cause you guys never steer me wrong and always have good information. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoViking
thanks guys... this is the info i was looking for. I keep reading alot about the actual mod but I couldnt find any good reviews/regrets. Im def. thinking about the S/C but the lexu V8 swap sounds tempting. I figured id ask around cause you guys never steer me wrong and always have good information. Thanks again everyone.
tee-hee... Like I always offer to folks, just give us your Visa number and we'll make sure yoou get what you need.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
tee-hee... Like I always offer to folks, just give us your Visa number and we'll make sure yoou get what you need.

I like that idea, as I need an VB upgrade and water injection