Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

To all the electricians out there

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the electricians out there

See item 5 on the attached pic. I am trying to do the 99 interior upgrade on my 97 runner and am having some issues learning how to read the wiring diagrams. I have figured out that the numbers or letters associated with each wire are supposed to tell you where the pins go within each connector.

What I do not know is how each connector is labeled??
Is it 1-10 left to right top to bottom? and if so, is that looking at the front or back of the connector? or does toyota have some other diagram that shows how the pins in each connector are layed out?

Please help
Attached Thumbnails To all the electricians out there-wiring-basics.jpg  

Last edited by ericdg16; 01-15-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 AM

The connectors probably have small numbers on them to help you out. Take a closer look.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 AM

yep, I'm hoping so.

But it was late last night and cold when I finally figured it out so I never went outside to look at the connector or pull the dash back apart. Plus I wanted to confirm that what I was thinking was correct; and I think I did that when I found that drawing this morning.

Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to look at it between football games.

Last edited by ericdg16; 01-15-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are using the Toyota wiring manual each connector has a number such as '1H'. This code is clickable and should take you to a pin-out diagram. Or, if you are somewhere in the car trying to figure out who does what, you look at this section, find the connector in question, and find the pin-out on the following page. You will also see the connector code and pin number on the schematics. If you are not using the Toyota Wiring Manual--sorry--I can't help you.

Electric Connectors

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Is there some place other than the dealer to pick up these detailed electrical wiring diagrams?

I thought I had found the official toyota wiring diagrams from this place online. I paid like $13 to have the diagrams sent to my inbox. I was happy with what I got however, I think I am finding out now that it is no where near as detailed as what toyota actually put out.

I still think I may have enough info ( it seems every connector is pretty much pinned out the same left-right, top-bottom), but I would like to know where to get the offficial diagrams because I think I should probably get a copy if I plan on keeping this truck for a while. I know the dealership will probably want to charge a stupid amount, but now I'm kinda leary of ordering anymore online diagrams and not getting what I really need

I attached one page of what I actually received. Someone will have to take a look, but based on what the previous poster posted, I don't think this is the official toyota diagram. It just shows wiring going to the switch, but doesn't seem to identify a connector which would connect to it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tailgate wiring 99.pdf (34.9 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by ericdg16; 01-18-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM

What you posted looks official but it's different from what I am used to and missing crucial info--actually probably not official. Here is what I use:

Tailgate Window Wiring

But you have to reference the connector codes on there to this section (ex.: Rear Window Up/down is T4) :

Connector Diagrams

There is another chapter just for connectors from harness to harness (as opposed to IN to something). Also for relays and junction boxes and grounds. Get familiar with the chapters at the beginning and the end. If you don't have them on your CD, you didn't get your $13 worth. Here is the whole thing for free, online:

2002 Toyota Wiring Manual

Post up exactly what you want to know and I'll help you find it--this thing is not intuitive. What I said in my first reply applies to the on-line manual, if you have paper you can't click through, obviously, and I don't know about your CD. I assumed you had an HTML or something.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM

nope, no cd, they just send a link to a PDF file to your email and you download it, so there are no clickable links. I'll look through what you posted and let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM

WOW, that is a lot of great info. I now have the rear window switch and ECT switch figured out along with the lighting for the panel.
I labeled all of the wires last night because there are some color differences between the wires on the different year models.

Nother question though. I have the C23 connecor and would rather not splice wires.
Does anyone know where I can buy new pins to plug into the connector? and how to tell what size pins I would need? I called the dealer and they acted like I was crazy.

Again, I know I can go to a J/Y, but am trying not to spice wires if I can help it.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM

durk that is really helpful info and links thanks very much
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
durk that is really helpful info and links thanks very much
Yeah, I wish I had had that info available for all my other cars I have worked on. Many nightmares might have been avoided. Thanks for the props.

Eric--I have no clue about replacing pins. I remember trying it years ago on other cars without success. Ended up breaking the connector usually. Did it once on a tractor using pins from a NAPA trailer hitch plug. That's still working, but fugly. I would call that last resort. In a pinch, I'd probably try splicing direct into the other side of the jack if I could get at it. Good luck.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

We have links to most models FSMs and lots of other useful information in the General Vehicle related tech topics forum here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

I have found the special crimping tool for the pins and am now working on finding some pins. I am fairly confident that if I can find the pins I should be able to replace them fairly easily.

I called another dealership where I knew the service tech and he seems to think he might be able to find the correct pins, so I am keeping my fingers crossed