Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

All 95-00 Tacoma Drivers Read This!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TonkaYota
I just bought 2 running tacos ( 97 & 98 ) they are rough as hell and I was going to use for parts but the frames have gone to hell. so I took them to the dealer yesterday. I am getting $30,000 for them!!!!!! my taco is going to be looking right!!!! ( thank god my 98 taco I got right now is in awesome condition! ) only gave 3500 for those 2 tacos
WTF...do they know you just bought them? The original recall was only suppose to do the 1.5x bluebook if you had the vehicle registered in your name BEFORE the recall was started. After that they would just give you what you had paid for it.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is still going on?
too bad they dont have to de-ice roads in San antonio. Still, I will be checking the frame for rust ASAP.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM

So if i buy a toyota tacoma 95-00 and i encounter rust i can bring it in and they will give me what i payed for it? long as i got what i payed for it i would be golden
Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sealteamz6
So if i buy a toyota tacoma 95-00 and i encounter rust i can bring it in and they will give me what i payed for it? long as i got what i payed for it i would be golden
From the first post.

Toyota is extending the rust perforation warranty on all 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups, some 813,000 units, to 15 years from the original date of purchase. So some 95s are already past 15 years or soon will be.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-03-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 PM

My dad just got a letter in the mail from toyota to extend his rust protection on his 04 tacoma, so looks like they are trying to not lose out on anymore money.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM

my 98 taco is not rusty and in great condition, what should i do?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by abd9810
my 98 taco is not rusty and in great condition, what should i do?
be happy and live on worry free. Just be glad you aren't like me.

I had NO idea about the rust issue and just purchased my first Toyota 2 weeks ago{2000 TRD EX-cab}. I did in fact look under the truck before purchase but only saw some scaling where the spare tire goes and didn't think to much about it. Then after purchase I hop on the forums to find out all this which made me get completely under the truck to find this.....

After finding that disturbing hole I saw some small scalling on the outside of the frame by the rear leaf hanger and with my index finger I created this...

I called my local dealer, gave the VIN and was told my VIN was not part of the recall even though it was first titled in PA for the first 7 years of it's life. I call Yota customer service, explained the details and was given a case number and was told someone would be back intouch with me in one buiseness day. I hope Toyota helps me on this even if I only get what I owe on it. If I get more cool but at this point I would be completely happy just getting what I owe. After finding the holes that I did I don;t think the truck is safe to drive.

This is all to bad because the rest of the truck is in prestine condition with exceptional maintenance and complete records of said maintenance.

I came from the Jeep world and after this experience I don't know if I'll be able to buy another Yota even if I find a 01-04 with zero rust.

Last edited by Mike P; 09-11-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Did you buy this private party or from a dealership?

that seriously sucks

I sold my '97 after 4 years of new york winters back in 2001. Way before any of this rust recall was going on because I was afraid of something like this...
Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 AM

I bought it from a used lot.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
not sure if you have any recourse, but you might wanna check with your bank..
but you might get a good call from Toyota..Good luck, I feel for you.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I feel for you.
dude i feel for myself for not investigating into something before purchase......but it's a Toyota. Yota's have nothing but a good rep for longevity and performance. I feel like a complete idiot for buying this truck and it makes me sick to my stomach. I just found those holes yesterday and was not able to sleep for one single minute last night because of it. I have not even informed my wife of any of this yet.

my nerves are shot and there is simply not enough beer to make me feel any better.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mike P

I called my local dealer, gave the VIN and was told my VIN was not part of the recall even though it was first titled in PA for the first 7 years of it's life. ...
From what I've read, I think that dealer is wrong. Where is that dealer? They maybe haven't dealt with the rust issue yet.

Originally Posted by Mike P
I call Yota customer service, explained the details and was given a case number and was told someone would be back intouch with me in one buiseness day. I hope Toyota helps me on this even if I only get what I owe on it. If I get more cool but at this point I would be completely happy just getting what I owe.
Good, that's what I'd say is the correct next step. I think you'll get your money back and Toyota will crush the truck. If it was a 01-04 they would replace the frame IIRC.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-11-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Took it in for inspection today. It failed......obviously. They've changed their policy in that if they feel the truck is safe to drive they let me keep it until Toyota contacts me and works things out.

Even though when my vin was entered into Yota's site it did not come up for inspection but was in line for inspection under other documentaion.

The down side to all this for me personally, I just bought the truck two weeks ago. took a loan out for $10k. I know based on reading I will get quite a bit more than I owe on it but then comes finding another truck in the range I want. I originally wanted a 4dr 01-04 with TRD. In this area people are way to proud of them demanding $18k+ for them with over 100k miles. Sorry but i'm not paying that much for a 6yr+ old truck.

We'll just have to wait and see what Toyota comes back with and go from there. I REALLY liked my current truck.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch, had that frame rust issue on my '89 s-10 thanks to PA salting the crap out of the roads. I was horrified when I found out about the recall because I had just dumped all the money on my SC and fuel/exhaust mods but fortunately it has never lived near salted roads and I couldn't begin to dream of parting with it. I seriously feel bad for all those folks who had to give up their rigs even if toyota paid the 1.5 figure.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Yota just called me from my original call from last friday. they were unaware at this point my truck had been inspected today.

one thing they informed me of is once the ball gets rolling. a third party called ISG will handle the buy back.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Another one bites the rust

Hey Mike, let me know how you made out...

My Turn,

I own a 98 Toyota Tacoma Limited Extended Cab Pickup. I bought my truck in July of 2009 for $6700 from a private seller. At the time i was aware of the recall; however, upon inspection from myself and a good mechanic, i was sure there was no rust and was satisfied with the purchase. The truck has been around the Philadelphia metro area all of its life.

Soooo yesterday, while preforming an oil change, I found a hole in the frame... It's pretty good sized hole, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Today i was inspecting the frame more and found a couple more holes.... I made an appointment to have the truck inspected Wednesday morning. I checked the recall pdf found here

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...6&postcount=39

Which my VIN number is included.

I'm not sure how all this will go down, but I will provide pictures and updates as I go.

Also, thank you all for the info on this site. I have been having a hard time nailing this down.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Rust warranty

Hey guys I am a little confused with the buy back process if it is actually needed. I am looking at buying a 1997 that has some but minimal rust on the frame. If, prior to the 15 years, the truck develops more rust will toyota still buy it back since I did not own the truck at the time this was announced and if so would it be what I paid, KBB,of the 1.5 KBB. Any advice would be great. I really like the truck and am looking to buy something I can put the bike in the back, but I dont want the frame to eventually rust through from all the salt in the winter.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM

I have returned from the Toyota shop. They took about 20 mins or so to look over my truck and confirmed there to be rust on the frame. However, the previous owner took the truck into another toyota shop about 2 years ago to have it inspected and it passed. Apparently, this is causing some kind of issue for them. So the shop manager is supposed to call me later with word from Toyota about what they are going to do about the situation.....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM

I just got the call back from Toyota and they said they are going to go ahead and offer me the buy back.. I'm so pumped man.. For a moment there i though they were gonna do me wrong, but toyota stepped up and stuck to their word.

Next I have to talk to the service manager on Friday who is going to take some info and send it to some third party who handles the buy backs.

Updates to come.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Got the call today.

Toyota offered me $9,125.50 for my 98 Tacoma Limited with 174,000 miles on it... hahaha awesome..

I've been looking and looking and looking, i think imma get another Tacoma, as long as they will still honor their warranty.

Quick Reply: All 95-00 Tacoma Drivers Read This!